Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Triathlon: Bike to run transition?
  • RestlessNative
    Free Member

Did my first actual bit of training last night for an ‘Adventure’ tri I have entered. Went for a cycle for an hour then jumped off the bike and tried to run, felt really weird and had problems with my calves wanting to cramp for the 1st half mile, any ideas?

I do normally run without any problems, just never tried to do the 2 together before.

sam_underhill

Keep practising. I gets psychologically easier to punch through the pain.

TinMan
    Free Member

Some suggest doing a higher cadence for the last 5 mins on the bike may help as well.
    Also worth checking your actual pace when you start running as people often go out too fast, even though HR is normal. Practice makes it easier, along with a sprinkle of MTFU 8)

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Keep practicing. The more you do, the easier it gets.
    I had exactly the same in my first duathlon, but 3-4 races later it feels much easier.

neil853
    Free Member

Keep practising. I gets psychologically easier to punch through the pain.

^this, it does get easier. Trick is to warm down a bit on the bike and start a little slower on the run. However, I’m only speaking form my experience, I do them for fun and personal challenge 🙂

sandwicheater

It is weird but keep training. We did a 50 km ride, 15 mile run (up/down Helvellyn) followed by another 50km ride (oh, add a canoe in there somewhere). When we first started training it just felt wrong but you soon get used to it. Agree with above, high cadence to start with.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

thanks, will try that

I did come in on the bike fast then run off a bit quick by the looks of it

only doing it for the craic so doesn’t really matter 😉

YoKaiser
    Free Member

If you can do a bit of stretching on the bike as well. Really just stand up and get a bit of motion, lean back lean forward, give your legs a shake.

jam-bo

its called bricks for a reason.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Triathlon: Bike to run transition?’ is closed to new replies.