Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Trials and tribulations of shortening a Hope braided hose ..
  • mrmoofo

Okay … I have looked at the You Tube tutorial. I decided to shorten the brake hoses on my Solaris , which were several yards too long.
    Expecting it to be a bitch, the whole thing went off really easily. Bingo … two hoses now at a street credible length.

Buoyed on with success I decide to do the same with my BFe. Theses only needed shortening by 3 or so inches … but it seemed like a good idea.
    What a complete arse…. It is impossible to stop the braided hose fraying and flaring out, meaning that there is no way that the olive is going back on. I guess the answer would have been to strip the plastic coating the there inches back and move the olive down the braided hose before cutting. But I didn’t.
    On the basis that Hope must fit new braided hose – how do you stop the flaring out/ spreading of the braided wires??
    The only difference between the Solaris brakes and the BFe brakes is the hose on the BFe are may eight years old, on the Solaris , 2 years.
    Are there different qualities – or is there a secret methodology I need to know ?

Please help me before frustration leads me to destruction

Marko

Wrap it with tape before cutting – or better still uses some heat shrink. Slide on the fitting and olive before cutting.

GeForceJunky

I find it’s much easier to always use a new olive as they are larger diameter so easier to slide over the freyed end.

mrmoofo

Can’t used heat shrink – because you have to peel off the plastic cover to get the olive any where near on. Once you peel it of, the braiding frays!
    I am trying to use a new olive …
    My eyesight is not the best in the world …
    I have ordered some new braided line … will that make any difference?

slowbloke
    Free Member

If you need to refit an olive then you need to leave a bit extra (10mm should do it). Next cut off the outer and the braid leaving just the inner. Thread the olive onto the inner and it seems to go over the outer more easily. It’s still a tricky job but much easier like that. Obviously after fitting the olive cut the end as you would do normally.

mrmoofo

Hi – read the above ,,, not sure what you mean! I am not sure what I am leaving an extra 10 mm of?
    By the !inner! I am raking about the white inner hose with the braid on the outside. The plastic sheath is the plastic covering around the braid …

mrmoofo

Hi – read the above ,,, not sure what you mean! I am not sure what I am leaving an extra 10 mm of?
    By the !inner! I am raking about the white inner hose with the braid on the outside. The plastic sheath is the plastic covering around the braid …

mrmoofo

double post

Marko

I must confess it’s awhile since I chopped down Hope hoses – might even have been Goodridge ones.

I had the heat shrink hanging over the end of the end of the hose and slipped the new olive on (with brake fluid as a lubricant) just enough to get all the frayed ends inside the olive. I then pulled off the heat shrink and pushed the olive up the hose.

The olives are single use BTW – always go new every time

Hth

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

If it helps OP I nearly cried when I did mine. Took forever, snapped one olive trying to bend it out a bit etc etc.

sharkattack

When I did my DH bike a while ago it was a nightmare. Craked olives etc…

I had to fit some E4’s to a mates bike last week and it was easy. I wonder if they’ve changed the diameter of something. The hose still expanded a bit when cut but the olive just slipped over it no bother.

mrmoofo

Hmmm… I wonder if the new hoses are slightly different diameters. That would follow with the differnt ages …..
    I was under the impression that the olives were reusable

bencooper
    Free Member

Hope make a special tool for this – I got one, and it came with zero instructions 😉 But I think what you do is use it to compress the cut end a little to get the new olive on.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Ben did you get the small pliers that look like they have had a hole drilled into them ?

Was looking at them on the hope site this morning but I’m a bit to tight to get them

mrmoofo

Eventually, I got it all together… and the crush the effing olive out of shape trying to get the compression sheath over it. Too ham fisted with pillars.
    So now waiting for new olives to come fromCRC.
    Unless anyone has a spare one in the Brighton area.

bencooper
    Free Member

Ben did you get the small pliers that look like they have had a hole drilled into them ?

That’s the one – I think what it’s for is compressing the braids to get the olive on. At least that’s what I use it for!

Northwind

TBH they’re rubbish to work with, and no better than kevlar braids, I hate em. But they look more “braided” while kevlar just looks like plastic so probably don’t impress buyers as much.

I made a little hose-squisher doofer which if I understand the Hope tool correctly works in much the same way- mine is just a block of random alu with a hole drilled through then sawn in half so it doesn’t squash it round but it does compress it enough.

mrmoofo

Perhaps it’s time to change over to Kevlar braided ( didn’t know they existed 😳 )

submarined
    Free Member

I’m with you, it’s a total shit.
    I’ve done loads of automotive braided stuff, but Hope hoses are a new world of pain. I doubt I can feel the difference between standard, and I hate how it of place they look. I’d have much preferred standard hoses 🙁

mrmoofo

Do I assume that all kevlar hoses are about equal … or is there anything that i should be avoiding out there?

mrmoofo

Finally managed to get it done today …. newer olives certainly helped but stupid, stupid design. Suffice the rear line can stay overlong!
    Next time I will go or kevlar/nylon!
    Both brake now bled …. once every 10 years seems reasonable ….

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Trials and tribulations of shortening a Hope braided hose ..’ is closed to new replies.