Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tri-bars on road/cx bike
  • singletracksurfer

should I?

New to riding drop bars, but I’ve ordered a CX bike which I’ll also be using on the road at times (inc 100 mile road ride) and just wondering if tri bars will be good or will I be spat on by passing roadies?

I will be riding on my lonesome so thought more positions (and more aerodynamic) would be useful, plus I think I quite like the position.

thanks.

aP
    Free Member

Why do you need tri-bars? I would just get used to riding drop bars first then see how you go. In the end do what you want.

singletracksurfer

dunno why I want tri-bars – just know I like riding in that position and thought it would be areodynamic and comfortable for long stints.

As I say I have no experience of road riding and was just wondering (thanks to reading the new tri magazine by Future publishing). Hoops might well be fine, just wondering why its only tri riders who use ’em really.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Do you mean the aero bars or the bullhorns? Or both?

FuzzyWuzzy

Nothing wrong with using them, don’t have any on my road bike but used to time trial and would agree they’re not only faster but also are very comfy (unless you have an extreme aero position). They wouldn’t be popular in a club run and I think banned from sportives (certainly from road races) as they’re dodgy in groups but as you say you’ll be solo that shouldn’t matter (although if you are planning to do sportives I wouldn’t do all your training relying on the bars then take them off for a sportive).

aP
    Free Member

Part of the reason is that you’re several seconds away from the brake levers so on anything other than a race they’re not very clever. Also riding in a group with tri bars on tends to mean that everyone gives you a very wide berth.

singletracksurfer

thanks peeps.

think I mean aero bars.

thats cool. might try em after a while then – suppose space on the bars will be an issue anyho’. they will just be for solo ‘training’ (in the loosest sense) rides.

try to stay off the brakes anyway – its a waste of all that energy & speed that takes me forever to build up.

james-o
    Free Member

Waste of time unless on an already light road bike that you can average over 20mph on.. get the bike set up so you can ride in the drops more and that’s a good start.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tri-bars on road/cx bike’ is closed to new replies.