Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Trek Top Fuel headset query
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Noticed that the headset wasn’t working, ie locking a bit, gritty, etc on saturdays ride. Just got round to stripping it down and the bottom bearing is very dead, part is on the fork and part is in the frame.

Two questions, headset is a cane creek ZS3 1/8th both ends, hidden set. what bearings does it use?
    Second, if i fail to get the bearings out, ie welded to the cup and crown race, what headsets can i use in its place?

Goz
    Free Member

Mrmo pop down on sat morning and i’ll sort it.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Keep hold of that bike will be worth a fortune in a few years and very RARE 😉

mrmo
    Free Member

thanks, managed to get the bearing out of the frame cup, no joy with the race though.

Wil try and get in on Saturday.

RustyMac

I’d be surprised if you can’t get a bearing for it. However there are lots of zero stack headsets out there these days in a wide range of prices, of the top of my head cane creek, chris king, FSA and Hope all make them as with many others.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Did you ever find replacement bearings/size for ordering some? My zs3 is rough and needs new bearings

mrmo
    Free Member

they are standard Cane Creek Items, i had to buy a pair, one is on the Top fuel with a zs3 the other has been used on the Lemond with an s3.

this is them

fontmoss
    Free Member

Cheers wasn’t sure if they’d fit. In fact I think I have an s3 lying somewhere…

On a sidenote I wish my Lemond could take wider tyres than 23 for winter 🙁

mrmo
    Free Member

On a sidenote I wish my Lemond could take wider tyres than 23 for winter

i had wondered if Velocity A23s or Hed ardennes might mitigate this detail?

fontmoss
    Free Member

it’s the stays that stop wider tyres, 25s rub!

EDIT: or do you mean those rims might drop the profile of a 25?

mrmo
    Free Member

thinking that the wider rim might give 23s a bit more give, ie comfort. It might not work though?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Trek Top Fuel headset query’ is closed to new replies.