Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Trek Top fuel 9.8 vs Giant Anthem similar???
  • EddieFiola
    Free Member

I would like a new full sus race bike to do longer events on, i have a hard tail for shorter events and am in the process of selling my last full susser race bike. Which out of these 2 do you rate and why? Dont get me on the mass produced blah blah, i have ti hardtail s.s etc for playing on. This is purely race not looks.

rkk01
    Free Member

Can't comment on the Trek, but my AnthemX is gradually knocking out all the (longstanding, ie 3-4 years) route records that I had previously set on an Airborne Lucky Strike.

Algore
    Free Member

Both very very good.
    Trek felt and easier bike to ride, quite neutral maybe?
    Giant felt rocket ship fast, like it was pushing you up the hills. Was great fun to play on, but would dump you if you aren't good enough. I fell off an Anthem more than any other bike and always from going to fast for the bike/my skill level.

So probably equally quick, the Trek will allow you to ride everything confidentally and fast. Giant will certainly be quick on most terrains, but you may find yourself holding back.

But the fastest of them all is the TallBoy (or the new 29er Anthem when it comes out)

njee20
    Free Member

Love my Top Fuel, would certainly have another one, prefer it to any of the Epics I've had previously. Anthems are incredibly popular, more so than the Fuel.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I work for a shop that sells both. When it came down to it, I went for the Anthem X because the weight is nigh on identical, but the Anthem is a touch lighter, and to me felt like a faster, more efficient bike. It's also a stunning descender. Also, the front end was 1cm lower on the Anthem which was important to me- I run my front end as low as I can get away with.

To me, the Anthem was more nimble and more fun going down as well as being a better climber. I'd disagree with the comments about it not being a good descender above- it's massively capable. To the point where I keep thinking about firing on 120mm Sids and using it as my only trail centre bike.

Also, and this wasn't a small factor, it was much better value.

I'd been dead set on a Fuel until I played on both and the Anthem won. And, if it makes any difference, my boss chose the Anthem over the Fuel too.

None of this is to say that the Fuel isn't a good bike, it is. Definitely worth having a play.

njee20
    Free Member

The Top Anthem is £500 more than the Top Fuel, so check your price point, they're not all better value!

rkk01
    Free Member

Giant felt rocket ship fast, like it was pushing you up the hills. Was great fun to play on, but would dump you if you aren't good enough.

Yes.

Only had one bad off so far (since Nov) and that was a comedy low speed one. HOWEVER, Anthem feels like it has very similar handling to the Airborne, ie sharp. Weight distribution, balance, braking etc need to be right. Get it right and the flow is brilliant, far better at descending that the LS – but get it wrong and it will go out of shape.

ETA – I went for the Anthem X3 so value was fantastic (especially as I had a pair of light wheels hanging in the garage 🙂

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

The top one is a lot more, but all the rest seem to be either less or a little more for a big step up in kit. I never find trek bikes to offer that much value.

njee20
    Free Member

The 9.8 is expensive certainly, it's a massive jump from the 9 to the 9.8.

A quick Google shows that the 9.8 is £3750, whilst the Anthem Advanced 1 is £4000, so it is £250 more for the same bike, guess it's only the cheaper ones that are better value.

I've not had any big crashes on my Top Fuel, conclusive proof it's better if ever I heard it 🙂

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Aye, but you do race mincey southern trails 😉

Algore
    Free Member

Sorry bit random but if I was buying an Anthem I'd get a cheapy 3 or 4 and pimp it up. Carbon isn't much lighter, and no real difference.

If I was buying the Fuel I'd buy the carbon.

So if I was paying over 2k it'd be the Trek everytime. Under 2k it'd be the Anthem.

EddieFiola
    Free Member

Good responses thanks, i was riding a Kona Hei Hei supreme, which is as fast as lightening, but makes me feel wierd desending on it. I think its just me as my mate had one and hes way faster downhill, yet my ti or steel hardtails i can go downhill alot quicker!! maybe i should mtfu

mrmo
    Free Member

something to think about, i got my tf8 thinking it would be 2100, it wasn't it came in at 1750 and i have seen this price advertised on the internet. I like it, it is quick and as i intended to put a 2×10 drive train on it as soon as the new stuff came put didn't see much point spending the extra for the tf9.

Bikepimp
    Free Member

Yeah the Top fuel is an ace bike and my mate has the 9.9ssl version 8)

dmc
    Free Member

I had the old anthem wich i loved but as people have said you had to be on your toes or you were off. Have since changed to the anthem x totaly different bike far more capable and fun ! stuck a set of fox 120's on the front and find it can do everything i want. I did ride a mates trek which i didn't get on with but in the same breath he rode mine and didn't get on with it. So hores for courses !
    dc

njee20
    Free Member

my mate has the 9.9ssl version

So do I 🙂

Ah yes, I forgot they'd discounted the alu ones, I'd definitely go for the carbon though, if nothing else the alu ones look a bit rubbish! The Giant is the better looking bike, the blue Crossmax on the Advanced 0 look awesome!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Trek Top fuel 9.8 vs Giant Anthem similar???’ is closed to new replies.