Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Trek Superfly 20 kids bike
  • dave32
    Free Member

Anyone got one for their little ones,narrowed it down to this or another islabike which he currently has. How do your little ones get on with it,would you recommend?

honourablegeorge

I bought this yesterday for my lad – can’t wait until Xmas – https://vimeo.com/109695342

dave32
    Free Member

Nice, I didn’t see that, can I refuse to buy a kids bike based on him being a better rider than me 🙄

Where did you find it in stock tho, just had a browse and can’t find it

sssimon
    Free Member

second recommendation for the Commencal bought at easter for a birthday in July but handed it over early as not much point in it sitting unused in the early summer. Really has been a great buy, simple, light and bombproof

[url=https://flic.kr/p/sbexba]20150504_155801[/url] by simon gardiner, on Flickr

hughjayteens
    Free Member

The Commencals look cool but seem to weigh much more than the equivalent Islabike – 13lb v 17.5lb for the 16″ wheel one and 19lb v 24lb for the 24″ wheel version.

My kids all have Islabikes and although I’d rather they had something a bit cooler and different, they do seem to still make the best small bikes albeit at an increasingly extortionate price!

dave32
    Free Member

The weight of the ramones 20 is near enough on par with the trek and the isla, once you add in front sus then the weight creeps up

andysredmini
    Free Member

I at the commencal ramones 20 when buying for my daughter but the postage cost put it too near the price of the isla. They wanted nearly £60.

honourablegeorge

That Ramones is 18.7 – the Isla is 17.3 – the isla is geared, but the commencal is a bit more of a mountin bike, which he wanted – he’s doing uplifts now, and isla don’t recommend jumping or anything beyond light off road.

I got it here :http://www.probikeshop.fr/vtt-commencal-ramones-20-20-jaune-2015/101512.html

beiciwr64
    Free Member

My kids all have Islabikes and although I’d rather they had something a bit cooler and different, they do seem to still make the best small bikes albeit at an increasingly extortionate price!

Islabikes are great but not for MTB apparently! according to them.
    Got an e-mail recently from Islabikes telling me what my son could and not ride on his Cnoc 16.

Only on smooth paved, grassy or dirt surfaces with moderate gradients. It is not intended for any kind of jumping.

No more jumping! 🙁
    That’s why he now rides a Commencal. 😀

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I wonder if Isla have been having broken frames? I guess most of their buyers don’t do jumps and the like so not likely to lose any sales.

Good point re the front suspension forks making the Ramones much heavier – I’m unsure how good the cheap forks are and given they are probably coil sprung, I doubt they’re too tuneable for kids.

Depending where you ride I think gears are useful although my 7 year old still needs reminding to change gear – his 9 year old sister has them sussed now.

A little un doing uplifts made me smile!!

gravitykids
    Free Member

I can’t comment on the Trek (or the Commencal), but I saw one of these in the flesh yesterday (Dawes Academy 20) and it looked really nice. (Sorry to throw another bike into the pot.)

Nice and light, good proportions, decent kit, good adjustability. Granted Dawes don’t have the kudos of other brands, but in its stock form it looks better bike than the Performance 20 that I bought Char.

dave32
    Free Member

cheers honurablegeorge, how much was the shipping on that?

gravitykids, the mrs is having her 2 bobs worth at the minute..she even looked at me like I was stupid because she hadn’t heard off commencal..I better not throw dawes at her 😕

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Trek Superfly 20 kids bike’ is closed to new replies.