• This topic has 26 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by julzm.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Trek remedy 9 rsl 2017 owners
  • swainy90
    Free Member

haven’t been able to ride one of these but very interested in buying one so looking for people that have one and wether they have an regrets or anything they would change or whether it is a beast as I’m a little scared to part with £3200 haha

sharkattack

They’re amazing to ride. I almost put the money down.

But…my mate beat me to it, and his sounds like an accordion. Creaky plastic BB and pivot bearings. Every time I see him it sounds awful squeaking away up the hills. Not sure what his maintenance routine is like but it reminded me of my old Stumpy and put me off.

I rode it when it was new and it was mint.

swainy90
    Free Member

Oh dear, I would like to think that’s due to lack of maintenance rather than how it rides.

sharkattack

The bike is about 6 months old and it was creaky and squeaky after month one. He’s on his third bottom bracket. It still looks brand new and it’s still an absolute blast on the downhills.

I said it reminds me of my Stumpjumper Evo because that was an amazing bike at the time but no matter what I did I couldn’t silence it. Had 4 BB’s in two years. Loved riding it, hated listening to it.

Sorry, didn’t want to be negative about your desired bike but I like that the new Enduro has a threaded BB and all the same size bearings. I hope the Stumpy goes that way soon.

iain65
    Free Member

My lads got a 9.8 and no creaks yet, not expecting any either. The standard BB’s and lower headset bearings are awful though, change them for a Hope or equivalent as soon as you can and the bike will be perfect.

swainy90
    Free Member

I was abit worried I can get much better for £3200 as there will be new remedy coming out soon but maybe I’m just talking rubbish.

swainy90
    Free Member

SharkatttAck totally appreciate your reply mate didn’t take wrong way at all just sumat for me to watch out for so appreciate it. I am a bit of a tight arse and slightly worried I could get a lot more for my money but end up getting nothing and just keep talking about it hahahaha

sharkattack

No probs, it’s a lot of money to drop on a bike. Especially when they’ll be 40% off in a few months!

Do you have a friendly LBS? If you go for one it might be worth trying to strike a deal including a Hope BB converter. They’re great but they weren’t available when I had my PF30. They go in and stay in and the bearings are standard and easily replaceable.

swainy90
    Free Member

I’ve tried to strike a deal but there is only limited stock and recon will sell easy so price is pretty much fixed. I do like the bike a geomtery wise feels great but like you say the new ones will be out soon. The only other bike that I am interested in is the giant reign 1 but that is slightly more and again 2017 model. Do I wait for the 2018 hmmmm

julzm
    Free Member

Got a 9.9 2017 bike in this house which has done about 800 miles in 6 months. No creaks whatsoever. The bike is fantastic, rides very well, travel feels bottomless. Gears are still perfect and haven’t been adjusted once. It’s my OHs bike and he ended up preferring it over his previous Nomad. I’ve got the 2017 slash and the Remedy rides some stuff even better than that and is more fun in places. No creaking from my bikes either which is similar age and mileage.

I was always sceptical about treks having come from SCs and Ibis but they are really fantastic bikes. Get a ride on one.

Dunno where you’re based but Alpine Bikes in GT have 2017 Remedys in their hire fleet.

swainy90
    Free Member

Thanks for great response. Like I say I do really like the bike but dunno if I’m paying over the odds with the new 2018 sure to be released soon but I am struggling to find many other bike brand with similar spec coming up much cheaper

oldtalent
    Free Member

They hire them at bpw. I had a go & thought it was bloody brilliant. Trek had never been on my radar before but I could have happily purchased on of these.

iain65
    Free Member

That was a good point about the rsl 9 not being in stock, they did have a decent amount of 9.8’s when I looked last – there might be a deal to be had there. I swapped my lads bike to 1×11 though, which was easy enough.

swainy90
    Free Member

With limited stock in the country do you think when the new 2018 are released this bike will be reduced that much or by anything. The salesman trying to tell me it will sell easy but wil it though £3200 is a lot of money for anyone

iain65
    Free Member

Not sure on that one, I hear some of the Trek models are relatively unchanged for next year so it may not make a huge difference. The only thing I can say is I’ve never regretted buying a Trek (back up and warranty is awesome) only not buying it sooner as I phaff around too much 🙂

iain65
    Free Member

What size are you after? I know where there is a 18.5″ Remedy 9rsl on demo that might be up for sale soon.

niksnr
    Free Member

I also hired from BPW. Thought they were small in the reach dept. I’m 6’1″ with a 32″ inside leg, so taller in the torso. The large was way too small for me. Most impressive thing for me was the tyre’s. Bonty SE4. Didn’t really rate it against my 2015 Spitfire but others seem to like it. Horses for courses. Would recommend you ride a few bikes. There’s loads at that price point this time of year.

swainy90
    Free Member

Ended up putting deposit down on it so happy days!!!! My next thought is do I get it invisframed. Seems expensive but I suppose in the grand scheme of things it isn’t really. Is it easy to fit yourself or would you take to a shop to be done?

swainy90
    Free Member

Tbh the only thing that was putting me off the bike is the fact it is right at the top of my budget and was looking a slightly cheaper alternative like bird airdrop ect but took the plunge so hopefully I won’t regret it

julzm
    Free Member

Definitely get it invisiframed from brand new. It’s pretty easy to do yourself if you take your time. My slash is 6 months old, done over 700 miles (90% tweed valley) and I still regularly get comments like ‘is it brand new?’ ‘Do you never ride this thing?’ It still looks great. Well worth the money IMO. Really helps in resale too.

Northwind

niksnr – Member

I also hired from BPW. Thought they were small in the reach dept. I’m 6’1″ with a 32″ inside leg, so taller in the torso. The large was way too small for me.

They are a bit small, but also have decent standover/seat tube space so sizing up is generally the way to go (also, people get the sizing mixed up all the time, because trek sizing is absolute and total bullshit- they sold my exact remedy frame as 2 different sizes!

swainy90
    Free Member

I’ve gone for the 18.5 frame size northwind. I’m 5,9 so thinking this is best frame size option for me. Looking at geometry comparisons top tube length is almost same as large capra. I am a little worried now that should of gone 19.5 hahah

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I tried to get a Remedy 9 rsl last August and they were all gone so got a Remedy 8 which is great had 3 26″ ones in the past get more compacted each year and handle better and better.

swainy90
    Free Member

Hoping the 9 rsl going to ride beast!!!

lorenzo
    Free Member

But…my mate beat me to it, and his sounds like an accordion. Creaky plastic BB and pivot bearings. Every time I see him it sounds awful squeaking away up the hills.

Ho sharkattack, has your friend managed to quiet it down? Mine is squeaky as well, no matter if I sit down or stand, pedal or not… I tightened all the pivots, greased pedal threads and chainring bolts, cleaned headset and bb… I’m starting to think the noise is coming from the fork crown/steerer. Thank you!

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

In case anyone is interested, criterium cycles near Edinburgh has a 9 RSL for 2400. Size 18.5.

julzm
    Free Member

Alpine bikes in Inners have a 19.5 too for similar price.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Trek remedy 9 rsl 2017 owners’ is closed to new replies.