Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Trek Remedy 9 and Cwmcarn
  • ssparks77
    Free Member

Recently watched some clips on YouTube of the DH trails at Cwmcarn.
    Anyone been?
    Could my remedy handle it or would I be better off hiring a DH bike for the day?

dingabell
    Free Member

Your Remedy will be perfect. I do it on my 575 and it hasn’t killed it yet.

njee20
    Free Member

The GB XC Talent Team used to train on the DH on their Trek 9.8 carbon hardtails…

atlaz
    Free Member

We went with someone who had an XC hardtail, flat bars, short travel, the lot. He was quite happy riding the DH on that. First times I went I rode it on my 4″ travel Trance and was perfectly happy. Ride what you’ve got

TiRed

Rode it on my rigid singlespeed. I wasn’t fast and couldn’t keep up with Son1 on his FS, but it was fun. Run what you brung.

DezB
    Free Member

What a bonkers question! You buy a long travel mountain bike and wonder if it can handle a bit of UK mountain bike trail riding? Surely the question is can YOU handle it?! 🙂

nosedive
    Free Member

i would say you have the perfect bike, tbh a downhill bike would be overkill

footflaps

I’ve ridden the Fort William WC DH course on a Cannondale Scalpel, 68 mm soft tail with 80mm headshock – bike and rider survived ok, but no course records were set. It’s more about the rider than the bike…

crotchrocket
    Free Member

IME: You might go faster on a DH bike, but not fast enough to win anything & you prolly won’t learn anything

wrecker
    Free Member

Perfectly valid question. Look at the uplift van on any given day and you’ll see it full of 8 – 10″ DH bikes.

The Remedy will be fine and so will you. Just wait until the stormtroopers have disappeared and make your way down.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

You’ll be fine on that bike, be aware most STW people are riding gods and probably take singlespeed rigid 29ers on the pleney….. 🙂

BTW anecdotal evidence gathered over the years suggests that quite a few first-timers at Cwmcarn read about it online and turn up underprepared. Don’t underestimate quite how tough a DH track it is.

dingabell
    Free Member

Do make sure you take some elbow and knee pads though. A full face helmet is a good idea too.

LoCo
    Free Member

Yep you’ll be fine, pads are a good idea though.

I’ve ridden it on my cyclocross bike, once, it wasn’t fun 😉

honourablegeorge

LoCo – Member

I’ve ridden it on my cyclocross bike, once, it wasn’t fun

Nice. Did you hit the drop from the road?

LoCo
    Free Member

Yep backflipped it 😉

no minced down the side, crimping 😯

I’m not doing it again

honourablegeorge

LOL.

Just goes to show you can ride anything that’s rollable on any bike, I guess. Prefer to be going flat out on a bouncy bike though.

Roblilly
    Free Member

Agree with what the others have said…I ride it on my HT as often as I can and don’t have “downhill god” abilities. All I would say is take the right hand line at the road drop the first time, you don’t want to end play too soon!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Trek Remedy 9 and Cwmcarn’ is closed to new replies.