Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Trek Madone…..?
  • rkk01
    Free Member

So, was in the LBS, and they had a mid / low end 2013 Madone…. I think I was a 4.5?..

Jeez, how light??? Can’t imagine what the higher end bikes are like!

OTH my roadie is heavier ban my HT mtb 😳

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

**** me, thats a five bar gate!

rOcKeTdOg

kingkongsfinger – Member

**** me, thats a five bar mansize gate! bike FIFY 8)

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

mansize gate! bike

With reflectors on the wheels and ghey chain guard behind the casette? 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

With reflectors on the wheels and ghey chain guard behind the casette?

well if you’d read the link you’d know it was borrowed from Cheltenham cycles and had to go back afterwards, i’m secure enough in my sexuality to not feel the need to remove the reflectors etc just to please those who clearly aren’t 🙂

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

velocake

mkaye93
    Free Member

i have a trek madone 5.2 sl for sale if your interested in buying one, high spec. Check my posts.

Popocatapetl

My 5.5 in White / platinum 😀

GJP
    Free Member

I bought a Trek madone 3.1. The cheapest of their carbon range, not that light, but with upgraded wheels and finishing kit it is does feel better but by far from the lightest of bikes I have had. I only bought it because I liked the colour, but carbon bikes have moved on over my 2006 model. I love it, it feels so planted, given I needed a new road bike like a whole in the head, I am so glad I bought one.

iainc

I nearly bought a 3.5 earlier this year – lovely bike – good spec and a great ride. For me it was pipped at the post by the Giant Defy Comp, mainly on fit/comfort (plus a slightly better spec). Dunno what the Trek weighed, but the Giant is about 18 pounds I think and the 3.5 felt very similar (M)

Kryton57

rkk01
    Free Member

That white 5.5 looks very, very quick… Nice

How do folks manage with the compact chainsets?
    Do you not run out of cogs?

twinklydave

My 6.9ssl is around the 14lbs mark with ‘just’ Ultegra and Bontrager RXL wheels.
    It could, quite easily, be stupidly light.

piccie

atlaz
    Free Member

Generally I’m not fussed about the speed downhill so much as getting uphill without destroying myself. I hit 70kmph at the weekend going downhill and that’s at the point where I start to get nervous about things so quite content to not get an extra speed boost by having a normal chainset rather than compact.

FuzzyWuzzy

I generally don’t pedal over about 35mph (which I only achieve downhill :p ) as it’s faster just to tuck in so never spun out on a 50×12
    The 14lbs quoted above seems unusually light though given the relatively heavy wheelset and not exactly light weight groupset…

rkk01
    Free Member

I have to say, I am very much liking the look of this…

Trek Madone 4.7

Full Ultegra, and IMO, the best colourscheme of the current Trek lineup

But, extending the budget (somewhat…) the new 2013 framests look very, very quick

5.2 stealth flavour

5.2 mint / Kwak flavour

Not entirely sure about the rear brake positioning on the 5 series….

rkk01
    Free Member

Has anyone ridden the Madone with the rear brake by the bottom bracket?

njee20
    Free Member

I have a very old (2004) SL 5.9, and love it. Will get around to changing it sometime, but it’s still a great bike!

Only been out literally a couple of weeks, so no one has in any meaningful way, other than the Leopard/Radio Shack/Nissan/Trek guys. It looks awesome, but I’m just not sure!

fontmoss
    Free Member

twinklydave, 6.9ssl is a proper beast

thekingisdead
    Free Member

rkk01 – Member

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

I have a madone with the rear brake by the BB! Got the 5.2 a couple of weeks ago.
    Probably not the best position for a brake for wet winter rides, but so far so good.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I have the same silver and white 5.5. I can confirm that it is very very fast. Ridiculously light. Did you take advantage of the Wheelbase sale in February like me? Was reduced from £3.3k to £2k. Utterly bargainous!

Popocatapetl

Mine was 2.5K from Royles in the sale, June 2011, plus 400 for the obligatory wheel change to Ksyrium elites. bontrager race lites on a 3k bike! Trek are having a laugh with their component specs for the last two years on all their bike models.

tomhoward

Lbs has a demo 5.2 at the mo, might have to borrow that, compare it to my lowly 1.5 (and convince myself I need it!) looks lovely in the flesh!

rkk01
    Free Member

Head says go fo the 4 Series…. But that 5 Series looks soooo quick!

£800 between them though, and the wheel and group set are the same 😯

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Get the 5 series…..invest in the frame, it’s the heart of the bike 🙂
    Mine is 17lbs…..it’s a garden gate (62cm) so not bad for a big old bike.

njee20
    Free Member

Trek are having a laugh with their component specs for the last two years on all their bike models.

They rate their frames rather highly, the 7-series is full on ‘super bike’ money – Ultegra Di2 and Race X Lite wheels? That’ll be nearly £6000 sir. Dura Ace 9000 and Aeolus wheels… £9000 to you. 😯

rkk01
    Free Member

Thekingisdead – how tall are you?

Two separate LBS have suggested 58, even though I stated that my current 59 is a tad small compared to its 60 forebear…

thekingisdead
    Free Member

I’m 6’2 with long legs.
    The trek 62 is a 60 by anyone else’s standards – check the site, they list the ‘trek’ size and the conventional size.

The 62 is a touch long in the TT for me, but I’m at the max saddle height and its perfect. I will prob fit a shorter stem in time

rkk01
    Free Member

Thanks – 6’3″ here, so will have a good look around at sizes !

thekingisdead
    Free Member

If you’re near the east midlands you’re welcome to try mine.

rkk01
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer !

South Wales, though – so will pester the various Trek dealing LBS’s

mudshark
    Free Member

The 2013 4 series frames look the same as the 2012 5 series ones – I have one.

atlaz
    Free Member

I bought a 3.1 last week for just under 1k. Seems pretty good, not as light as my Synapse but still not a tank.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I’m no expert on wheels, but I’m running the stock wheels on my 5.5 and they’re great. They weigh very little and have bladed spokes so make a cool swishing noise that implies unbridled speed. I like them.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Trek Madone…..?’ is closed to new replies.