Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • trek fuel ex8 2009 opinions please!!
  • renton
    Free Member

looking at buying one of these and was wondering if any owners of said bike can give me their opinion on it please!!

do you get any pedal bob etc??

cheers

steve

rOcKeTdOg

i've got an 08 and it's the same free floating suspension system, i bought it because it pedals so well primarily after the bob crazyness of other FS i've owned, the fact that it goes downhill so excellently was an added bonus and the 18.5 (17.5 virtual) i have weighs less than 30lbs with bog standard kit on it, can't go much wrong really and Treks dealer network and back up is second to none

DezB
    Free Member

Decisions… 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    surfer
    Free Member

I've got one and love it.

Not a hugely experienced MTB'er but quite fit and found it climbs really well. Cant compare it with much else sadly!

renton
    Free Member

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:@Dezb

snakebite
    Free Member

I have an 09 EX9, very versatile, good all day bike, great on ups and downs and fine in singletrack, no bob and almost bottomless rear travel. However, its for sale as I'm having another one in black, possibly carbon 🙂

MicArms

Got one too, very good all rounder. If you ever turn up to one of the clent duffer rides, I might even let you have a go. 😀

renton
    Free Member

mick i think it was you i was told about going round the wyre forest and making one lad sick trying to keep up with you!!!

i cant even keep up with that lad yet!! which is why i havent been out up clen with you lot……… im too scared :mrgreen:

Pukz
    Free Member

I had an EX8 last year (Rootbeer 09) and it was the most everything friendly bike I have owned! If I had to have just 1 bike now that would be it! The EX8 is great value IMO as well.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Pretty much going to echo what snakebite said. Got an O9 EX8 and love it. It will take on (almost) anything that you throw at it, up and down hill. For a 120 mm travel bike it feels like it's got a lot more in it as well. Pretty light as well considering it's the alloy version. If you're thinking of an all day bike, it should definitely be on your list. The only thing I didn't like was the 100mm stem, too long, swap that out asap.

Chris-S
    Free Member

I've had my ex8 over 2years now , great bike etc………

However, early ones had a well known problem with breakages in the arm just above the rear brake mount
    not a problem if your the original owner because treks warranty is pretty good, but I don't know the situation with second hand purchases.

orena45

Likewise, I have a 2008 EX8 which is quite literally one of the best things I have ever bought!

Absolutely love mine, the only problem being (which I've mentioned before on similar posts) is the wheel bearings which are not particularly well sealed. The rear isn't too bad as the cassette protects the hub to a degree but I've found the front wheel to almost seize up after very wet rides where I've been through axel deep puddles. Obviously, I try and avoid that as much as possible now but will replace the frint hub at some point in the future! It may be something that's been fixed on 09/10 bikes but be aware of it.

I wouldn't worry about the chainstay breakages – as mentioned it was an issue on a few first production EX's in 2008 but was quickly strengthened. It won't be an issue on 09 bikes.

MicArms

Yep, my frame snapped on the disc mount ( very early 08 model) in early Jan 08, but trek were very good, and new swing arm with in 48 hours fitted by LBS.

P>S My reputation is entirely unfounded, just a big soft gentle puppy.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘trek fuel ex8 2009 opinions please!!’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts