Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • TREK / Fisher Warranty Issue – thoughts please.
  • Mooly
    Free Member

So here’s the deal.

I have a Fisher Xcal 2010 and about 6 weeks ago the frame cracked. I Took it to my local bike shop to get a replacement frame from Trek as they now deal with all Fisher bikes. Firstly I was due to get last years Paragon which would have been fine. After two weeks of wondering where this might be i chased the shop who chased Trek. They apologised and said that that frame was now discontinued, but don`t worry, I will be getting a shiny new Superfly 2012. Great. I receive a call from the bike shop again today saying the frame has arrived. Imagine my excitement. Back on two wheels again after 5 weeks with a lovely new bike. But no. As you know bikes change year on year and the bike that has been sent out has some issues with components fitting. Namely headset (which trek are sending out) and the bottom bracket which means the crank set needs replacing.
    Is this the responsibility of Trek to replace as I don’t feel I should be paying for additional components if the frame they send out isn`t compatible.
    I would fully understand if the bike was 5,6,or 7 years old and but 1 1/2, surely they need to cover the cost. I’m already paying for the servicing and rebuild.
    Is Treks customer service always this Shit?

stumpy01

I’d have thought they should stump up for any bits that don’t fit, although whether there is some wording in their warranty that gets them out of this, I don’t know….

wwaswas

I’m not sure you shoudl be paying for the rebuild, a service yes, though.

Your contract is witht he retailer – you shoudl be no worse off after the frame swap so any bits that can’t be moved shoudl be replaced at no cost to you I guess, although whether a ‘new for old’ should be cost free is moot.

Sounds like Trek have been pretty good – they’re relying on the retailer to tell them what needs replacing.

TrekCol’s often on here and he does warranty so he may be along later.

Mooly
    Free Member

That’s what I would have thought too. What’s the point in them sending out a frame that things don`t bolt onto.
    My other beef is how unhelpful they are. You would have thought that Trek, a multinational company would be first class at customer service and because of the delay in getting a frame out the least they could do is send additional components to speed up the process.

peterob

Been through similar deal with a 2009 GF HiFi which was replaced with a 2011 Trek Fuel Ex. Headset came with reducer adapter to allow my 1 1/8″ work with tapered headtube. Had to buy new BB92 pressfit BB (approx £20 from german website) to use existing SLX hollowtech crankset. Cost about £40 (new cables, etc) to get back on road on a better, newer bike – would probably have needed to replace these after the 2 years anyway.

Stu_N

Be prepared for a fight. In 2003 I bought a Sugar+ – it never worked properly.

The Manitou forks were coil sprung but you couldn’t get a heavier spring (despite the shop assuring me they had one “on order” – in the end I got one from a Manitou service truck at one of the 24 hour races.)

The Cane Creek rear shock lost air and packed down – but the rebound wasn’t adjustable. Ended up replacing that with a Fox one as apparently it was “normal” and the shop couldn’t find anything wrong with it as it was (though it was clearly fecked).

Then the bizarre “top hat bushing” set-up on the main pivot started to wear – again that was normal to get 6 months out the bushings. Shop replaced them a couple of times (I had to pay for them but they didn’t charge me for fititng – how kind!). The third set lasted a matter of weeks. Turned out the frame was out of alignment and the surfaces on the front end on which the top hats sat were worn asymmetrically. Great. So Trek said they would replace that for me. Took weeks and weeks.

Finally got a call saying it was sorted and I could collect my bike – Imagine my surprise and delight when I went to collect the bike and found they had only replaced the front triangle! Yes – it was blindingly obvious because the front end was “team” colours – blue, yellow and red IIRC – and the back end was dark blue.

So ultimately it took a threat of legal action from trading standards to get that sorted – the back end got resprayed to match the front.

Even after best part of ten years I am STILL bitter, and would never buy a Trek. So unless things have changed, good luck but don’t hold your breath for fear of expirting.

Mooly
    Free Member

So up the chain I go. The two people in the customers services department i have spoken to are completely rude and unhelpful. Why are we so shit at customer service in this country?
    Apparently they ordered me a Paragon 5 weeks ago but someone in america jumped the Q and took my frame. Now that I have been privileged to get an upgraded frame( The new frame they are sending out is the only option they had so not really an upgrade just the most suitable replacement)i should be grateful and not complain about having to pay out for components just to ride my bike. What a bunch of tossers! Multinationals make me mad. Who fancies some looting?

wwaswas

your contract is with the shop – you need to be shouting at them, not Trek.

njee20
    Free Member

Why would you need a new chainset? A new BB at most shirley?

fbk
    Free Member

Why would you need a new chainset? A new BB at most shirley?

I was thinking the same

Mooly
    Free Member

I wish I was techy so I could explain but basically they have sent out a Superfly Al elite and the BB has changed which they have replaced but my current chain-set will no longer fit.

wwaswas

[edit] wrogn thread.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Cotic are doing a load of Alfine wheelsets at a good price.

and I think on-one too.

I’d keep the brakes and the Alfine, personally – you’ve obviously decided hub gears are what you want and I really rate Magura kit.

Best response to a thread. Ever. baffle the situation.

RustyMac

I see the new frame is a press fit BB so i can only guess your old frame must have had a square taper or isis BB.

rewski
    Free Member

Similiar situation here, Trek replaced my discontinued fuel 70 which had cracked 3 times, I decided to go for a HT, they replaced it with the 8500, a few parts weren’t compatible so I had to replace, I paid for parts but not labour. Fair enough I thought.

wwaswas

Best response to a thread. Ever. baffle the situation.

it wasn’t my intention 😳

chakaping
    Free Member

don’t you think the poor guy has suffered enough already wwaswas?

wwaswas

Well, I’d certainly recommend celeriac and potato mash – as long as you use lots of butter and a bit of cream.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Looks like the OP has an Octalink bottom bracket and chainset hence why he will need to change the lot.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

a lot depends on the retailer

Swinnertons are excellent, warranteed a purple rig frame via them, headset ritted and replaced straight away, eccentric BB after a phone call, both free

I could have been like the OP and insisted on a set of G2 forks as the geometry had changed, I decided I was more than happy with the service 😉

someone who warranteed the same frame via Evans had to pay for the headset and eccentric

geordiepaul
    Free Member

Speak to Trek direct I’m sure they’ll sort you out.
    Their warrant is superb, I’ve never had any problems with stuff like that.

strike
    Free Member

Nigel Roberts is the man in charge at Trek UK (or was up until recently).

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Harsh Line – The warranty is on the frame, not the components or for labour etc etc, so they have replaced the frame which is what they legally have to do.

I had a Klein frame snap a few years back. The was no quibble what so ever with replacing it, but the LBS said they would charge for stripping my old frame and rebuilding on to the new. In the end we compromised and I stripped the frame of everything I could (apart from BB and headset cups) they then put them in to the new frame for me and didnt charge.

Is interesting though that now because manufacturers are reinventing the wheel to make more money, that it now does create issues with warranty claims… perhaps manufacturers need to re think their warranties?

njee20
    Free Member

Trek are notorious for this sort of thing to be honest. Their warranty is excellent, but they’re very ‘by the book’, unlike other companies who will go the extra mile to help.

There’s plenty of threads about FS frames where they’ve replaced the swingarm or main frame and not the other bit, leaving a mismatched frame. They’ve done their duty, but there’s a common sense element there…!

I don’t think you’re out of order in expecting the parts that are required to make your new frame work, in this instance a chainset. You shouldn’t be out of pocket because of the failure.

Mooly
    Free Member

(You shouldn’t be out of pocket because of the failure.)
    That’s exactly it!

geordiepaul
    Free Member

Trek have gone out of their way to help me in the past.
    I know of people who’ve had new headsets when given new E2 frame to replace the older ones.

I’m surprised you need a whole new chainset…don’t they do adapters like they do for BB30 bottom brackets?

oxym0r0n

Similar experience here
    Sugar 2 –> snapped – took ages to prove it was mine as bought when I worked for a shop –> Sugar race –> snapped shock link – took ages to prove it was mine (again) –> replaced front end after one had to be sprayed and shipped from USA – in the meantime bought an ASR and eventually flogged the Sugar… I woudn’t wan’t to go through all that again

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I bought a £3300 Rumblefish 2 in March and sold it in June. Trek/specialized let their accountants have too much influence in their build schedules and as such allowed someone to fit a low tune RP23BV shock to a 19″ 29er. With the maximum 300psi in the shock it would still only acheive 40% sag!!

It climbed like a pig and bobbed like dobin the donkey. I contacted Mojo who told me for such a big bike it should have a medium or high tune shock so I rang Trek UK who arranged me to take it back to the dealer who sent it back, Trek sent it back saying it was fine!!

I rang Mojo back who were gob smacked. I sold it on for £800 loss. The Lapierre 514 i replaced it with which is a 20″ has a high tune shock and is flawless with 220psi in it.

I presume the manufacturers just buy a boat load of bits and make them fit the whole range to keep the costs down.

I wouldn’t even buy a trek inner tube now, which is a shame seeing as I’ve spent well over £10k on bikes this year…

chakaping
    Free Member

which is a shame seeing as I’ve spent well over £10k on bikes this year…

And I thought I’d got a bit carried away.

😯

Mooly
    Free Member

The Resolution.
    Having sent a follow up email to the customer services team addressed F.A.O. Nigel Roberts a cranks is being sent out. Thank you very much Mr Roberts. Its a shame you needed to be involved but I’m very appreciative of your customer service sense and resolution management skills.
    Well done in the end TREK.

njee20
    Free Member

With the maximum 300psi in the shock it would still only acheive 40% sag

That’s not a shock problem, that’s an overweight rider problem if I may say so!

I’m surprised you need a whole new chainset…don’t they do adapters like they do for BB30 bottom brackets?

The original bike had an old school Octalink chainset, so you couldn’t use any system designed for external bearing cranks.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘TREK / Fisher Warranty Issue – thoughts please.’ is closed to new replies.