Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Trek Ex8 frame issues & warranty
  • valleydaddy
    Free Member

my riding buddy has a Trek EX8 2010

It has developed and issue with the BB cup coming out on the drive side, it just becomes loose, out LBS retapped the threads and put a new BB in and added locktite to try and secure it.

my question is would this issue of threads stripped in the BB shell be covered under the Trek warranty?

we haven’t taken it to a Trek dealer as yet but will do if this fix doesn’t work.

has anyone else had a similar experience with EX frames??

Northwind

It’d be hard to prove fault over overtightening even before the LBS retapped it. Trying to fix a bike that might end up a warranty claim isn’t a very good idea tbh… You’re really going to be at their mercy.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

yes I guess so

our LBS said that it would probably be classed as wear and tear and not covered by warranty.

we went for fix up as he is riding the afan monster on Saturday, so if the frame is wrecked well that will be a fitting end 🙁

Wibble89
    Free Member

I had the same problem with my 2008 ex9, drive side bb came loose from either not being tightened enough or being overtightened in the first place. I would guess that trek will say it is a maintenance issue, but its always worth asking the question. They tend to be good on warranties, my rear triangle is being warrantied for the second time, no issues about agreeing to do it but it has now been 15 weeks without the bike as they don’t have the parts. Whereas before it was 10 days all in.

I used BETD (frames/frame repair) who will put a sleeve in for £60 plus postage. You have to supply or buy from them a bb so they can fit it and make sure its ok. I can’t recommend their bb’s though as mine ceased solid after 3 dry rides and one drizzly one.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

cheers Wibble89 that’s good to know, definitely used BETD if it comes to that, at least it doesn’t mean the frame is scrap.

Marko

Argos in Bristol are an alternative for a BB sleeve:

http://www.argoscycles.com/

Hth
    Marko

singletrackhor
    Free Member

Afan monster has been postponed btw.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

cheers singletrackhor didn’t know that 😉

Wrongun
    Free Member

I had the same problem as Wibble89 with my Ex8 2008. I bought the bike from J E James who arranged a warrenty new frame & BB from Trek. Actually I got an upgrade as they had no EX8s left so they sent a EX9 over from the states so I ended up with a RP23 shock upgrade. Happy days. The whole thing took about 3 weeks. J E James were great and even arranged a courier to pick the old frame up!

I guess this is why there are press fit bb’s now?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

cheers singletrackhor didn’t know that 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Should have been tight enough to start with-the seller’s problem.

MAybe too late now tho.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Trek Ex8 frame issues & warranty’ is closed to new replies.