Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Tredz taking orders for parts they havent actually got?
  • Poopscoop

Third time now.

Has anyone else had this? Its like the old days of the net when stock levels werent accurate online.

Am I just damned unlucky?

martinhutch

Yep. Don’t use them anymore.

psycorp
    Free Member

I’ve posted about this before. I now only use them if I have to and then on the understanding that it’ll take at least 2 weeks to get my goods, if I get them at all.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Yep three times recently. Now go elsewhere, I order because I want the item then, not two weeks later. I get even more pissed off when they don’t tell you, just assume you won’t notice the fact it hasn’t been shipped yet.

devash
    Free Member

Tredz are infamous for doing that. I’d avoid them.

Poopscoop

Thanks guys.

Now I know it’s habitual I will avoid.

Not good retail practice at all. :-/

windyg
    Free Member

Been like it for years, i would have to very desperate to order from them.

cokie

As above, they always do it.
    I’ve made 4 orders for bits they didn’t have in stock. Each time I had to chase them to find out the status. Never again.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Owned by Halfords now so can’t see them getting any better…

core

Had the same on a dropper remote (ks southpaw), did eventually arrive, but their system is crap, showed as in stock, couple of days later they emailed saying it was out of stock and delayed, then again, rang to enquire and possibly cancel, but by that time it’d been despatched. The email telling me so arrived after the lever. Anyway, was still cheapest place online, and I was in no rush luckily.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Common thing though with the majority of online retailers except the big ones like CRC who have a massive warehouse of stock (mostly in sizes/colours most people don’t want 😉 ).

A lot will quote “in stock” to simply mean they either have it actually in stock, or their distributor stock system claims they can get it in a day or two. Either way if they have a few days turnaround then they believe they can satisfy the order.

Have been hit a few times from a number of online stores, inc Tredz I think, where it turned out the distributor was actually out of stock. I’d then tried a few others claiming in stock and they also came back saying it was actually out of stock, all because it’s the same distributor so out of stock everywhere but the system was wrong claiming it was in stock. Some had taken the money up front and had to get it refunded, and some only take payment on shipping.

theotherjonv

same it appears with some bricks and mortar shops that also have a web presence.

Checked online, showing in stock, went over to buy it, don’t have it but can have it in 2 days from the distributor.

RustyMac

I guess I must have been lucky, I’ve ordered a few things from them lately – ks southpaw lever (arrived in 2 days of order) a pair of gloves for my daughter and a freehub that was showing as available to purchase but not in stock till mid Feb. I got a call to check if I wanted to continue with the order and they were happy to ship the gloves on before rhe freehub, the gloves arrived 2 days later. I just got an email today to say the freehub has been dispatched which is earlier than expected. On the basis of my recent purchases I’d use them again.

burko73

Smarts when you pay more with an online retailer who “has stock” and then they take 3 months to deliver. Had this with triton lastbyr and some surly tyres. I’d have ordered from Charlie if they had said they didn’t have stock.

P20

Yes. Ordered a wtb tyre which was showing instock then got email stating otherwise. First time I’ve had a problem with them though

monkeyboyjc

I had a large order of multiple parts from them for a build, paid by credit. it took 2 months of chasing to eventually get any of the bits – I ended up swapping the chainset for one I didn’t really want (that was in stock) to just get them to send all of the other bits to me.

smatkins1
    Free Member

Tredz are on my blacklist too.

First time ordering it took 2 months for the item which was apparently in stock to be delivered. Second time I ordered something ‘in stock’ I got an email through saying it wasn’t. I haven’t used them again since.

When fantastic service is so common from most other shops, why bother with such nonsense?

matt_outandabout

Thank you all, I was about to order from them. Avoided.

SaxonRider

I have heard this is a problem, and entirely believe those who have experienced it, but, ironically, I have bought from them twice in the last two months, and both items have arrive at my door within 48 hours.

Considering I live pretty much just down the road from them and can walk in on them should there be any trouble, I will certainly buy again.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

in defence of tredz i’ve bought a few bits and clothing from them this winter and even on one when a mistake was made, i was sent a womans size not a mans, they were excellent and kept me informed all the way.

i personally would definitely keep using them in preference to other places.

hooja
    Free Member

first time it happened to me it was for the last parts for a new build, delayed me 3 weeks… not happy!
    Would not order from them again unless they were giving away stock for free, may even have second thoughts then!
    Cant believe they can do business like that in a competitive market and survive

dufusdip
    Free Member

Yes same issue for me with them.

Finding Tweeks cycles to be a similar issue.

Will now actively avoid them and pay more for somewhere that i know id’s more reliable.

kerley
    Free Member

It is their operating model. List everything and then only get from supplier when someone orders it. Explains why they have so much “stock”.
    Their prices are generally good so if they just made it clear that they don’t actually stock anything and there will be a delay as they are checking stock (i.e. the item may not be available for months which I got once)/getting item from supplier I think that would be fine. However they give the impression they stock it.

I bought something a few weeks ago bearing that in mind. I didn’t need it in a hurry and their price was lower than anyone else by a fair bit (25%). Surprisingly it arrived in about 4 days!

shooterman

Same thing happened here. Evoc backpack apparently in stock. Weeks later they eventually admitted it wasn’t available and gave me a refund.

porlus
    Free Member

Ordered some Castelli Toe Thingys from them Tuesday 2nd hoping for a Friday delivery. Needed them for weekend gones ride. Listed as in stock, so was hopeful. Email from them saying they were due to be despatched on Monday 6th. Bugger. Glad the weather wasn’t as bad as I though. Good price though. £5 off a £15 item.

snownrock

I used to work next to the warehouse/store in Swansea. Would order online for click and collect and have to wait a couple of weeks for items that they had on the shelves in the store. I phone them before ordering now to check they actually have stock.

simmy
    Free Member

I except that they have good prices and I am signed up for their E Mail newsletter thing but, like has been said, I once ordered when I first started with MTB and I ended up chasing them up only to find they had no stock.

Only reason I keep on their E Mail list is I can then get Evans or Halfords to price match.

Poopscoop

Ok…… So now have a dispatched email from them in my inbox.

Great! 😉

Except I had already ordered the part from another (admittedly more expensive) take retailer last night.lol

First world problem ahoy! 🙂

Poopscoop

Oh, someone mentioned Tweeks earlier in the thread, yes, they have done the same to me in the past.
    2 months to get a tyre. Cheap yes, worth the wait? Probably not. Lol

chowsh
    Free Member

Ordered ‘in stock’ shoes and then got an email saying will be despatched 5-6 days from now. Emailed to say if not in stock please cancel and just had cancellation reply so clearly not in stock. Pretty poor business practice.

drlex
    Free Member

Add in my good service anecdote:
    Mudguards ordered late Thursday night and free postage box ticked; delivered Monday.

Sadly, the frame for which they are destined is not due in the country until late March.

jonnyboi

Ordered something on Friday that was ‘available’. Now I had this thread in mind so I only ordered it because the price was very good and I wasn’t really desperate for it.

Dispatch date is now confirmed as next Friday 🙂

NormalMan

Have to admit I’ve ordered a few things from them (including a bike once) and never had any problems.

In fact last week I ordered pedals from them after ordering grips from another place and a stem from yet another. The pedals were the last order but first to arrive.

dai3015
    Free Member

Credit where credit is due

Ordered some brakes on Thursday night after placing an earlier order with CRC

Tredz order arrived this morning (still awaiting the other one!)

Pretty good service (caveat – obviously what I ordered was in stock)

squealingbrakes
    Free Member

I’ve ordered stuff from Tredz and it has always turned up. Probably one of the cheapest online at the moment. Regularly doing discounts. Stock list reasonably comprehensive, but I appreciate that they do not have everything they advertise on the shelf, and rely on suppliers. Other places have a similar selling model.

We all want cheap, good service and fast delivery. You normally only get two out of the three. I remember the days when you ordered from CRC one day and it was on your doormat the next – no longer any more.

So if you can plan ahead – Tredz seems to be a good option. Probably not best to order multiple items in one go just in case it goes all pete tong.

RDL-82
    Free Member

This place has changed. Where’s all the ‘you should have gone to your lbs’ comments?!

Have used tredz twice both times it was for items listed with a due in stock ‘x’ date as well as other items in stock. Was happy to wait for everything in one parcel the second time but first order they were happy to split. They are competitive on price though.

CRC seem to have taken a dive however. Extremely slow dispatch/delivery the last couple of orders.

sq225917
    Free Member

Should have gone to your LBS. I’ll always search the local shops, before I go online JEJames usually have what i want if we don’t stock it at work (PX)

whitestone
    Free Member

Not bike stuff (sleeping mat as it happens), checked the retailers stock level: 3, so placed an order. At which point no stock but the order went through. About an hour later the retailer rings and explains that while I was placing my order someone had got in ahead of me and bought all three! A recompense he upgraded my mat to the winter version free of charge 😆

Not had any problems with CRC.

For last minute stuff, I’ll go to an LBS, but for small consumables like brake pads I keep a couple of sets of spares then when I use a set I’ll order a replacement onlin but it doesn’t matter if it takes 2 or 3 days. It does mean having £100 or more of spares lying around but you don’t have to do it all at once and you have a bit of piece of mind.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Tredz taking orders for parts they havent actually got?’ is closed to new replies.