Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Treating/Staining Pine?
  • jambourgie
    Free Member

I’ve got some new pine 9″ skirting boards to stain. Any tips on achieving a good finish?

Things I have:

Water-based woodstain
    Fiddes Supreme Wax
    Rags, brushes, and fine steel wool.

Is it best to apply the stain with a rag or a brush? I’m thinking of using the steel wool after the stain is dry to get a smooth finish, then add the wax. Will I die?

Will multiple coats of woodstain achieve a deeper colour, or just put more on to begin with?

Thanks.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, I’d start by priming them then painting but anyway… 🙂

Is it too late to go back and start with an oil based stain instead of a water based? It’ll be much easier to apply, and I’d say, yes, you can achieve more by deciding how much stain to apply. The beauty of oil based stains is that they give you a bit more time to work and even out the coat. Apply with a foam roller or synthetic brush and use a roll of stockinette cut up into lots of rags to even out the brush and roller marks and rub away any pooling you might get in the corners. Also, an “organic” product like the wax you’re using should take better to an oil based stain than a water based one. Finally, there’s much less “knocking back” between coats of stain with an oil based one.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Thanks for that.

Well, I’m doing it for a friend so I’ve got what they’ve bought. I could always see if they fancy getting something else.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No worries…I think you’ll find using an oil based stain much easier and you’ll get a much nicer finish. Best of luck…bit of a bitch of a job staining skirting. Btw, Fiddes also do stains – they’re a nice bunch of people and make good products. Might be a bit pricier than what you’ve been given but I’d say it’s be worth it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I find applying stain using a dish washing sponge to be the easiest way to get an even finish.

Also if mounted to the wall – mask or make a protector for the wall.

Nothing says crap job like stain on the wall above skirtings

bigh
    Free Member

If you’re going to change product now, get some osmo oil wax, it comes in colours and will be easier to apply with skirting in situ

nickjb
    Free Member

With water based stain I’ve found the best way to get an even finish is to brush it on then wipe it off with a cloth after a maybe 10-20 seconds. This is much easier with two people, one applying one wiping. It’ll finish lighter than just applying it and leaving it so might need two coats. That’ll give a much more even finish than applying one thick coat.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Treating/Staining Pine?’ is closed to new replies.