Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Treating woodworm/beetle infestation in furniture
  • Harry_the_Spider

Anyone had a wardrobe dipped to rid it of burrowing bugs?

How much are we talking?

It breaks down flat so moving it is quite easy.

skidartist
    Free Member

Just buy some Borax and do it yourself. Be aware though, although its generally harmless to humans it tends to make men extra fertile

Harry_the_Spider

Not me fella, I’ve just been “fixed”!

I know I could do it myself if I had the time and the space but I haven’t. Hence the original question.

Harry_the_Spider

£65 + £28 for re-waxing if anyone is interested.

I’m actually quite impressed/relieved!

toys19
    Free Member

skidartist plus 1 the boron route is the way forward for woodworm dry rot etc.

Harry_the_Spider

But not if you haven’t got the time, the space and toddlers in the house that you don’t want to exposed to the chemicals.

Hence the original question. +1

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Borax is on of the safest things to use. Not sure how effective or whether you can get it inside the wood very well though.

The other stuff on the market is safer than it was not so long ago, but I’d look up the COSHH data if I were you. (- People really have suffered chronic illness and even died during the mid 1980’s by dousing their houses with pentachlorphenol which amazingly used to be legal till fairly recently)

If the furniture breaks down I’d try cooking it. It won’t go in your oven but building an “oven” with some sheets of plywood and some cheapo B&Q insulation on the outside. Couple of fan heaters and a thermometer. It’ll soon be over 80C inside. Not quite sure how long or hot you need to kill the critters stone dead but it really isn’t very much. You’ll find advice on Google. The National Trust do this for whole beams in situ to avoid chemicals.

toys19
    Free Member

But not if you haven’t got the time, the space and toddlers in the house that you don’t want to exposed to the chemicals.

Skidartist wasn’t being amusing, it is actually harmless and there is some evidence its good for you.

Using borax is a piece of cake. Just mix up with water and paint or spray(hand held garden sprayer 99p in big&queer) onto all surfaces, allow to dry and happy days.
    Could be done almost in situ. WOODWORM DEAD.

I BOUGHT MINE OFF THESE GUYS IN dEVON, THEY ARE EXTREMELY HELPFUL

boron suppliers

Harry_the_Spider

Alternatively, I could just pay this guy £93 and he’ll turn up with his van, take it away, dip it to kill the nasties and bring it back waxed and good as new (well… old).

No chemicals, no COSHH, no mess, no having to move the baby out of the room whilst i’m doing it, no having to build some sort of plywood oven, no bother.

Thanks for the advice though. If I had the space I’d spray it in situ.

After talking to the guy who’s doing it and discussing “exit holes” it sounds like I have some sort of euro-nasty rather than your average home grown woodworm. Whatever, by this time next week anything still in there will be dead.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Treating woodworm/beetle infestation in furniture’ is closed to new replies.