Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Treating decking
  • andyfla
    Free Member

What’s the best thing to treat decking with ?
    I mean wood preservative, wax, oil, etc ……

andyfla
    Free Member

Nothing from the singletrack wisdom bank ?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’d treat it to lots of nice Red if you want it to put out?

[Well, someone’s got to say it]

properbikeco
    Free Member

decent decking material for starters, after that not too sure but ronseal do a nonslip varnish coating

hooli

Ronseal decking oil works for me, doesn’t change the colour much and as it is oil not varnish it gently fades rather than chipping and looking nasty.

It does need a clean with a stiff brush or pressure wash first though.

I do mine in spring each year and deck looks good as new even after 5 years.

loddrik
    Free Member

I’ve never treated mine but should probably do it now. After 8 years!!

Pressure wash and then treat with the above?

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

+1 for decking oil, I treat mine at the mid spring , and early autumn. still looking good after 10 years.

swampi
    Free Member

I used the decking oil as it was as thin as water so went on really quick and didn’t need hours to try…needs doing yearly tho

spacecadett
    Free Member

I used Liberon decking oil to treat mine. It was very easy to apply and looks great. Once applied, water beads on the surface of the wood. It comes in 3 colours – natural, oak & teak. I used natural and the finish looks a bit like untreated decking when it is wet.

This was the cheapest online place I could find: http://www.deckingoil.co.uk/acatalog/liberon_decking_oil.html?gclid=CKjn14mi0LkCFSTJtAodCkQAzA

Before & after shots below:

andyfla
    Free Member

ooh looks nice

matthewlhome
    Free Member

I would like to treat my decking to a bonfire. Lethal stuff when wet.

allthepies
    Free Member

+1 (I’ve not got decking but have waddled on wet stuff before)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Liberon decking oil, as said above.

stumpyjon

Another vote for Liberon deck oil, redid my deck with it this year after stripping the old stains off (8 years worth x 50m2, took ages). Anyway I’ve used all sorts of stains in the past, cheap and expensive, all flaked in under a year. Liberon has been down three months, still beading water nicely, went on easily and works out a lot cheaper than deck stain. Hoping it’ll fade rather than flake, don’t mind recoating each year as long as it looks OK, recoating with stains after it had flaked leaves it blotchy. Can also use it on garden furniture, loads cheaper than furniture oil and gives a warmer finish IMO.

The link above is cheap, I got mine through the trade and they had to price match that site.

just5minutes
    Free Member

Has anyone tried the liberon anti slip decking treatment – is it any good?

dogthomson

Any tips on stripping existing stain off?

The guy we bought our house off made a right pigs ear of the decking in our garden. Looks like he used fence stain or something, it’s peeling off and looks awful!

dogthomson

i.e. What’s the best way to strip rhe existing stain off? Pressure washer? Heat gun? Chemicals?

stumpyjon

Chemicals and a wire brush. Paramose if you can get it, but that’s not legal to use as DIYer apparently, Nitromorse, not as good as it used to be.

dogthomson

Thanks stumpyjon, any tips on handling? I assume both are pretty nasty?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Treating decking’ is closed to new replies.