Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Treadmill or Cross trainer for cycling training?
  • bikemonkey
    Free Member

I’ve just joined a gym after being off the bike for ages – change in lifestyle means I’ve done virtually no exercise for ages.

I’m trying to lose weight, and improve my fitness for riding too. I’ve started using the treadmill and cross trainer, but which translates best into cycling fitness?

The cross trainer works your upper body a bit as well, but it seems like the treadmill is harder work (perhaps because you can’t slack off as easily!)

zilog6128

IME running fitness doesn’t translate very well into cycling fitness except for general cardio-vascular function, so of the two maybe cross trainer? If your gym has them though, I find rowing machines great for cycling training because (like cycling) they mostly work the legs.

landofgiants
    Free Member

I go for spin bike in the gym. Resistance control gives similar feel to the real thing. Wouldnt bother with cross or treadmill. Go for spin bike and step machine.

michael12
    Free Member

Can you tell me what is cycling fitness? I am confused what it means.

scaled
    Free Member

fit·ness/?fitnis/
    Noun:
    The condition of being physically fit and healthy.
    The quality of being suitable to fulfill a particular role or task.

Running fit != cycling fit

firestarter
    Free Member

I always found when I was running a lot my bike fitness had increased a lot without cycling much. But when I had been cycling loads I really suffered trying to run even short distances

killwillforchips
    Free Member

all of the above plus squats and straight leg dead lifts.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Treadmill or Cross trainer for cycling training?’ is closed to new replies.