Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Travelling to the USA ESTA required?
  • cheviots
    Free Member

Not a seasoned traveller by any stretch, last time I went to the states we all filled a form in just before landing for Customs. Is this still the case or does filling out the online ESTA application suffice?
    The ESTA seems a long drawn out process, what happens if I don’t have one when arriving at US customs?
    Cheers

konabunny
    Free Member

You won’t be let on the plane without an ESTA or visa

cheviots
    Free Member

Ooh good job I checked then!

zigzag69
    Free Member

You’ll still need to fill out the customs form on the plane too 🙂

kjcc25
    Free Member

You will still have the form on the aeroplane to fill in and make sure you get the official ESTA site when you go online. There are a number of sites that will charge you extra on top of the official charge if you use their sites.

Twodogs

The ESTA seems a long drawn out process

It takes about 5 mins online

theotherjonv

Make sure you find the correct Esta site. Last time I needed one there were several clever clones that got you to fill your details in just like the ESTA but also charged a fee for it in addition to the $14 ESTA fee.

deadkenny
    Free Member

The form on the plane is just for customs stuff now. Are you bringing in dodgy goods etc.

No form to declare you’re a terrorist. Always wondered if anyone ever does tick that box.

theotherjonv

No form to declare you’re a terrorist. Always wondered if anyone ever does tick that box.

Aha! That’s the trap. Because clearly no terrorist or agent convicted of spying for a foreign government or anyone guilty of moral turpitude (what? isn’t that a posh word for paint thinner?) would tick that box, a proper cunning spy would. And be waved through on that basis.

OP, do it. Means you get seen almost immediately in a private room without having to queue with everyone else.

stumpyjon

Need one for Canada now as well.

tonyg2003

Yes apply online $14. Just make sure you use the correct site (there are numerous sort of fake “we’ll help you apply” sites which are a waste of time) then it’s a five mins job https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Also you won’t be able to use the TSA electronic face recognition machines when you arrive first time but you will on subsequent times. They are one of the most efficient enter machines for any country.

m1kea
    Free Member
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Also you won’t be able to use the TSA electronic face recognition machines when you arrive first time but you will on subsequent times. They are one of the most efficient enter machines for any country.

Varies massively by airport. I’ve been through enough to know. 🙁

deadkenny
    Free Member

stumpyjon – Member
    Need one for Canada now as well.

Didn’t know that, but looks like there’s a grace period until the autumn where you’re allowed on the plane as long as you have valid travel documents and passport. Not sure if their eTA is still worth getting, e.g. less grilling when you get there.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/canada/entry-requirements

As for face recognition machines, yet to go through one that isn’t more hassle than it’s worth. US or Brit ones.

tonyg2003

Varies massively by airport. I’ve been through enough to know.

17 times to the USA last year and 4 times already this year. It does vary by airport. LAX last week was crap and the week before at Rayleigh – Durham was great. However first time ESTA – no face recongition

richardk
    Free Member

If you are travelling a lot to the US, British citizens can now register as part of the Global Entry system. Through Orlando arrivals in about 5 minutes last week, and eligible for TSA pre-check for internal flights.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I’ve heard that immigration at JFK is a PITA. By comparison Newark was a breeze. Of course if you’re not going to NYC then that’s irrelevant.

Calgary was just slow

mikewsmith
    Free Member

17 times to the USA last year and 4 times already this year. It does vary by airport

As far as the official line is first visit on the passport means no electronic gate, you have to talk to the armed thug. Not something you frequent fliers would spot I reckon.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Travelling to the USA ESTA required?’ is closed to new replies.