Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Travelling to Sidmouth from the M25 – where's good for breakfast?
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Heading to the sarf coast tomorrow and meeting up with the folks and some others en route for some early morning grub.

We’ll all be heading down via the M3 and A303.

Anyone got any suggestions for somewhere good to meet and get semi-decent food?

Ta!

alfabus
    Free Member

Could always try the Heston’ised little chef at Popham. I’ve not been, but if you could report back, that would be very useful 🙂

Dave

MountainMutant
    Free Member

I would hold on and get brekkie at the Sea Shanty in Brandscombe. It’s Little Thiefs the whole way!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I have to admit to being intrigued by Heston’s Little Thief.

That could be a goer…

sharki
    Free Member

Lovely place and lovely staff at the Sea Shanty at Branscombe beach.

Bike friendly too.

luke
    Free Member

The transport cafe at cartgate.
    Should add that although the foods good its not the best in terms of surroundings.

surfdad
    Free Member

Newcott Chef just before Honiton. A proper full on greasy spoon, and the logo has a certain similarity to a well known brand …

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1464915.ece

It’s closing down soon as well 🙁

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Bit too far down the beaten path, and a real shame about the Little Thief’s actions – I think that’s a good reason to boycott their other restaurants.

Anybody got anything a little further up the A303?

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Sharki – When you dissapeared for a bit, you weren’t kipping in the bushes off Brandscombe beach were you? Lovely place…Brandscombe, not the bushes 😉

My in-laws own one of the caravans there and last time I was down it looked like someone had made up camp in the bushes. Could be fisherman but got me thinking!

MM

oxym0r0n

Beer beach -is that the same as Brandscombe? In the little huts, if they’re still open at this time of year?!

Big-Dave
    Free Member

+1 for the cafe at Cartgate picnic area. The cafe is a bit rough and ready in appearance but they do pretty decent food and it isn’t stupidly overpriced. Nice sausage sarnies.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

oxym0r0n – Member

Beer beach -is that the same as Brandscombe? In the little huts, if they’re still open at this time of year?!

No it’s not and no they won’t, sometimes Ducky’s open for a bit after the season ended, but it’ll be unlikely in October.

Shakey
    Free Member

MountainMutant – Member

I would hold on and get brekkie at the Sea Shanty in Branscombe. It’s Little Thiefs the whole way!

Its a long way to go if you’re holding on but is worth it. My other advice is the ‘Botany Bay’ outside Winterbourne Zelston, you will have to detour and go M3, A27, A31 but it does a really good ‘Olympic’ breakfast and is nothing like ‘Little Chef’.

mr.rusty
    Free Member

A few ‘modern’ facilities at Solstice Park, just before Amesbury.

Further on there’s Morrisons just off the sliproad in Wincanton – they have a cafe.

Or – as mentioned already – cartgate, best food by far.

Edric64
    Free Member

The transport cafe at cartgate.

Horrible food and staff the one time I ate there

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Don’t forget Burger King on the A303 😉

sharki
    Free Member

MM, From trawling through maps, photo’s and my journal, i can confirm that i didn’t sleep in the bushes, though i did take refuge in the pill box at Branscombe.

After a terribly wet days walk, i found shelter in a barn near Weston, i walked from there to Lyme Regis passing Branscombe and beer.

Fond memories of reaching Branscombe was seeing what i think to be an Adonis Blue.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Wow great colours!

I’ve been in the pill box too. The Brandscombe Brewery is at the entrance to the field that the box is in.

You should have sampled a pint of ‘Summa That’ up at the Masons to keep out the rain!

MM

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Travelling to Sidmouth from the M25 – where's good for breakfast?’ is closed to new replies.