Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Travelling from Grenoble to London in July !!!! How do you do it ????????????
  • roadiesean
    Free Member

Hello all,

I am off to Bourg d’Oisan for the Tour (I know a bit roadie) but I cannot for the life of me work out how the hell you get home ????

I am going by train to Avignon and then travelling overland after we do Ventoux, but it seems that there are no flights at all the leave from Grenoble to UK in winter. Maybe the interweb is failing me, but its all looking a bit Pete Tong, as if I may have to fly from either Lyon or Geneva……

Anyone got any groovy ideas ??

miketually
    Free Member

Train?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

IIRC We got a train direct from Grenoble to Geneva, I don’t recall it being particularly expensive, £21 seems to ring a bell, tho it was in 2001.

roadiesean
    Free Member

I need to get home to London from Grenoble, not to Geneva though…..

woody2000

Tour as In “Le Tour”?

Ryanair fly from Grenoble to Stansted

woody2000

EDIT: Or maybe not!

roadiesean
    Free Member

Yep, as in Le Tour, yep, they fly from Grenoble to Stansted, but not in July it would seem…..
    🙁

Looks like the only option is letting the train take the strain…..better get saving !!!!!! £250 return it would seem :-0

zbonty

This is’nt a recommendation but i did a return trip Grenoble to Victoria on a coach once. That was fun!

Though i probably had more fun than the girl i soaked when opening a 3litre bottle of coke before we set off!

woody2000

Taking your bike? Ride to Lyon, get a plane from there?

roadiesean
    Free Member

zbonty, I shared a plane ride from Sydney with you once I think !!!! At least it was someone else who poured a whole bottle of coke over me, still trying to get the stains out of my jeans !!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I need to get home to London from Grenoble, not to Geneva though…..

OK I’ll spell it out for you.
    The cheapest way we found was a cheap flight from Geneva Ryanair/easyjet (approx£30 if you book now) and a direct train from Grenoble (approx£21 in 2001). There 😀

kimbers

easyjet used to fly there in the winter but not summer

i have flown to gerenoble with lyinair in july though
    but you might not be able to book them yet

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

http://www.seat61.com/

there was someone else on here wanted to know about a cross-europe train journey wasn’t there?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You could try and set the distance record for rollie-pollies?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Grenoble airport is miles from Grenoble and only works to the UK in winter for skiing IIRC. Options:
    1) Cheap, frequent bus service from the city centre direct to Lyon airport then lots of flight options
    2) TGV from Grenoble direct to Paris Gare du Lyon. Bus or taxi from Gare du Lyon to Gare du Nord, Eurostar to London

VanHalen

we got the eurostar. change at paris.

really really easy and quick – 6hrs.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Rail Europe

I used these the other day for a trip back from boarding in the Alps (although I have bought the tickets, the money has gone from my account but no sign of a confirmation email yet! Not the best endorsement but I am sure it will all be fine. Fingers crossed)

ronniethescot
    Free Member

Hi Sean hire a car for a few days in Grenoble, great if you want to ride in the Vercors and Chartreuse valley, then drop the car at Lyon airport and fly back from there

I have done the train a couple of times, never paid more than £120 return, best trick is to book a return 12 weeks before travel.

mefty
    Free Member

Lyon airport is only 25 mins further by car from the centre of grenoble than grenoble airport (which is essentially half way to lyon airport) so lyon is a sensible option especially as there is a huge TGV station attached to it. It will therefore be easy to get a train to. Having said that Easyjet certainly used to fly to Grenoble in the summer, but I always go to Lyon because of greater flight availability etc.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Travelling from Grenoble to London in July !!!! How do you do it ????????????’ is closed to new replies.