Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Travel To Qatar – Safe?
  • woody2000

It’s looking likely I’ll be asked to go to work in Qatar for a brief period in the not too distant future. Given everything that’s going on in the middle east currently, I’m not sure how keen I am to go!

Am I being unreasonably cautious? Foreign office doesn’t seem overly concerned, but not exactly brimming with optimism! WWSTWD?

“There is an underlying threat from terrorism. Attacks, although unlikely, could be indiscriminate, including places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers. Terrorists continue to issue statements threatening to carry out attacks in the Gulf region. These include references to attacks on Western interests, including residential compounds, places of worship, military, oil, transport and aviation interests.

You should maintain a high level of security awareness, particularly in public places. Avoid large gatherings and demonstrations. “

TrekEX8
    Free Member

I would be no more bothered than if I was in central London, i.e. not at all.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I worked there for a month a couple of years ago. I’d be more concerned about how crap it is.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It’s perfectly safe. They pay the terrorists handsomely to stay out…allegedly. And the largest US air base outside of the States is only about 30km away, and there is usually a Nimitz class nircraft carrier battle group patrolling not too far away. It is boring as hell though. Get a VPN service so you can get UK based media sites like iPlayer etc.

neilco
    Free Member

It’s alright. If you want to get even a bit drunk, stay in your hotel or have a friend drive you – taxis, hotel cars can be a bit dodgy. Was only there for a week so didn’t do much more than work, eat and drink. Saw a couple of nice hotels and pools but that’s it. Know a few people that live there and they like it, or at least the salary it pays…

woody2000

I’ll only be there for a few days, a week tops – a tablet with movies/books/games will keep me occupied of an evening I’m sure 🙂

I know I’m being a fanny, but that part of the world is a mystery to me and fear of the unknown strikes deep 🙂

Cheers

footflaps

I’d be more concerned about how crap it is

+1

butcher

Flew into Qatar nearly 10 years ago now. I did notice we skirted around Iraqi airspace on the in-flight maps. Qatar are relatively detached from much of the crap that goes on over there. Shouldn’t think there’s anything to worry about.

I have to confess to knowing absolutely nothing about the place at the time though, and my stomach sank a bit when we came in to land, seeing more fighter jets than commercial planes in the airport.

theflatboy
    Free Member

To be honest, if you’re only there for a few nights there are a few things worth checking out, e.g. the Souk and the Corniche promenade area. It’s not all awful, but there’s very little of interest worth checking out… at least you’ll go when it’s not too hot to go outside!

edit – sorry, I’m assuming you’re going to Doha!

slowoldman

Just don’t fly over any war zones on the way there.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

On taxi’s, if you use the proper state taxi’s make sure they use the meter, or agree a price, but you can’t rely on them as the taxi’s are never around when you want one and hanging around in 40 degree’s trying to hail a cab is not great, and the chances are the driver has only been in the country for a few day’s and won’t have much of a clue where things are. i’ve had no problems with the hotel cars, but they are about double the cost of taxi’s, but taxi’s are not that expensive, making hotel cars about as expensive as UK taxi’s. I tend to use a private Limousine company. He charges about the same as taxi’s, is perfectly pleasant and polite, doesn’t drive like a prat, a nice clean car that that doesn’t smell and is roadworthy and you can text him to pick you up – let me know if you want his number.

br
    Free Member

Probably more risky been in parts of South London after dark 🙂

northernmatt

I know a chap who is Doha on a regular basis for work and he has never had any problems.

dragon
    Free Member

I don’t think Doha is any worse than Dubai for safety TBH. I’ve been out twice in the last year, for a week each time and will be going again before Christmas, all seemed fine. I went for a run along the Corniche on my own in the morning, no concerns, plenty of other westerners doing similar. Everyone speaks English, electrical sockets are the same 3 pin as ours so it’s okay. Traffic at rush hour is awful. Only been there in the winter when weather was cool enough that walking was an option, but at rush hour was a death wish. Their pavements leave something to be desired and wouldn’t pass any H&S assessement in Europe. Get a nice hotel with gym, pool and decent eateries and you should be fine.

DrJ

Severe danger of dying of boredom, but otherwise fine. There is a new art museum that’s worth a visit. After that – take a good book.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Its fine most people are friendly and chatty when you chat with them.

Its as boring as described above. I did walk back to my hotel along the corniche while absolutely smashed which is probably one of the stupidest things I’ve ever done.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Perfectly safe. 300,000 locals and many times that of ex-pats. I have a few friends living and working there, its not the most exciting place and very much “small town”. Make sure you stay on the right side of the law and your employer, more than a few stories of being being unable to leave the country after disputes with their employers.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Travel To Qatar – Safe?’ is closed to new replies.