Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • travel insurance when MTBing abroad?
  • Leon
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’ve never mouuntain biked in a foreign country (unless you count Wales).

I’m going to do a couple of rides in Majorca in a couple of weeks, whilst on a family holiday.

Any idea what I need insurance for?

EHIC covers all medical expenses, doesn’t it?

IN which case, I need something in case I need to be helicoptered off a mountain? Is that it?

coogan
    Free Member

Snowcard is who I use.

Leon
    Free Member

but what for? THat’s what I’m trying to figure out.

I’ll be on a hire bike, unlikely to run anyone over, and I understand that medical is covered by EHIC, so I suppose is evacuation, or repatriation of my body if I happen to die (is there anything to stop it just staying there?)

nickc

Most insurance companies don’t classify riding a bike as a dangerous sport anyway*, so as long as you’re not racing, then normal holiday insurance will cover you for any eventualities.

* Edit: even mountain biking

vickypea
    Free Member

Actually, a lot of insurance companies don’t cover mountain biking, including my Direct Line travel insurance. We went to the Alps recently and got insurance from Fogg, cost £20ish for 2 of us.

vickypea
    Free Member

If you have an accident and need airlifting to hospital or something, the ehic card doesn’t cover that, and it could be very expensive

Leon
    Free Member

every travel insurance I looked at wanted extra for mountain biking 🙁

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep read the small print and if it’s not mentioned ask.
    EHC covers some of your medical expenses, you may also need a card up front depending on the place you are visiting and then claim back.
    EHC does not cover rescue or repatriation which are not cheap. So depends on what happens. (even something as simple as missing a flight as your declared unable to fly for a day or so.

It also covers you for your luggage, cancellation, missed stuff and the flight/holiday company going bust and leaving you stranded.

Fat-boy-fat

I use Dogtag but I’ve never had to make a claim, so I can’t comment on how good they actually are. A mate used snowcard on our last trip and he broke his leg. They were excellent and helped him out with all sorts of support over there. Really impressed with their service.

nickc

sorry should have made clearer, you’ll have to pay a bit more on your holiday insurance, but you don’t really need snowcard, dogtag etc.

any company will cover you

mikewsmith
    Free Member

any company will cover you

Except ones that don’t, read the small print and check the exclusions.

Leon
    Free Member

yes, to be clear, I have normal annual travel insurance for all the cancellations stuff, etc, but they want a fortune to add “mountain biking” onto the list. I think I will end up getting a seperate policy for 2 days just for myself (the other one is family one), just in case I break my leg halfway up a mountain

olddog

… it’s also important if you need to medevac back home – if you do something serious.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

i buy the snowcard/dogtag etc for the mountain rescue. I set all the other cover options (cancellations, lost stuff, injuries) to zero as these come under my annual standard cover with direct line – because that definitely does not cover for Murdoch to come get you in his chopper!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘travel insurance when MTBing abroad?’ is closed to new replies.