Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Travel Insurance problem – Australia
  • uphilla
    Free Member

Hi, wonder if anyone can advise or has experience. My son has just gone to Australia to work travel etc. We had travel insurance in place for him but did not appreciate it only covers him for short trips and he is likely to be there for around 12 months.
    The current insurer can’t help as he has already left and suggest that nobody else will issue a policy now. Initial enquiries suggest they are right.
    Any ideas welcome. Thanks

peterfile
    Free Member

Generally you need to have sorted travel insurance before you depart, but like all insurance there will be someone who will cover him, it’s just a question of cost!

Try World Nomads

As a citizen, you can buy a policy even if you’re already travelling, working, living or studying in another country.

If you buy a policy away from home, there is a waiting period of 3 days before the insurance takes effect. In the event of serious injury in connection with an accident, you will be covered from the date cover commenced subject to the accident being witnessed and verified by an independent third party.

hels
    Free Member

Does he really need it ? If he is residing for 12 months and working and paying tax, surely he can access the Australian health care system ? Anything else can be covered by general insurance e.g. he could take out renters insurance for his property in his flat.

konabunny
    Free Member

if he is a UK resident he’s entitled to free emergency healthcare under a reciprocal arrangement: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/medicare/reciprocal-health-care-agreements/health-care-for-visitors-to-australia

as for the non-health travel bits: I wouldn’t worry about it, it’s practically impossible to claim on the bloody things anyway imhe!

legend
    Free Member

Emergency health care doesn’t get you home of it all goes tits up – still worth getting insurance.

For balance – never had any problems claiming for other elements of travel insurance

peterfile
    Free Member

as for the non-health travel bits: I wouldn’t worry about it, it’s practically impossible to claim on the bloody things anyway imhe!

Dunno about that. I had a huge claim for rescue and surgery which was met entirely, without query, by my insurers. I’d have been screwed without it.

uphilla
    Free Member

Thanks, really useful…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Travel Insurance problem – Australia’ is closed to new replies.