Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Trashed forks content (DIY Loser Dad)!
  • ackie
    Free Member

I’d successfully, if somewhat messily changed the travel on my 2007 Rockshox Reba (Team) forks.
    As I was building up my old 2004 Stumpjumper M4 as a Single Speed to cart my son around on at weekends!

The last thing I had to do was tighten up the foot nut of the Dual Air shaft.
    As I don’t own a torque tool I guesstimated and well I’m sure you can guess what happened….

Blinking well stripped the pigging threads. (I can even cock up taking a photo)

I know I should have just sent it to TFTuned for a service but £89 seem a bit steep at the time just to change the travel.

Not so piggin cheap now….

£100 Halfords socket set
    £15 Sram Redrum
    £10 Isopropyl Alcohol
    £4 in Kitchen towels.
    + what ever a new airshaft and service will cost….?

Total

£FrickingExpensiveHairyballsackage

AAAAAAARRRGGGHHH!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

But you cant have stripped it all the way to the end. So Id go for a shim / spacer over the stripped bit (or just use a larger nut) then the original nut on the undamaged thread. Be careful with the crush washer.

andyl
    Free Member

how the ‘ell did you manage that?

I’m afraid it’s something other than a torque wrench to avoid that, but the good thing is it’s free but the bad thing is you can’t buy it in shops.

And why so much kitchen roll?

ackie
    Free Member

Ok you are making me feel better now.
    couldashouldawoulda. I will try your suggestion first.

Do I need to put a new washer under the ‘spacer’?

Also can somebody recommend me a torque wrench? I guess I might as well see the job through!

much help Kimbers Ta.

ackie
    Free Member

And why so much kitchen roll?

I got my oil measurements mixed up and put 125ml (not 15ml) of red rum in to each leg!
    It went everywhere!

I’m afraid it’s something other than a torque wrench to avoid that, but the good thing is it’s free but the bad thing is you can’t buy it in shops.

do they sell it on ebay? 😉

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Do I need to put a new washer under the ‘spacer’?

I just mean – think about the diameter of the spacer you use in relation to what it’s meant to work with- like if you put a huge nut in there it will press the washer into a different form and may not seal. So I’d just try and use what I had in the nuts and bolts tub that <just> fits.

ackie
    Free Member

I just tried un screwing the nut and it is just spinning aroung on the stripped thread.
    I think I might have to go kimbers suggestion.

Surely you can buy a Dual-Air-Suspension-Fork-Spring-Air-Cartridge-Kit somewhere else other than Canada (goes off to google air shaft and pour large glass of red wine)

andyl
    Free Member

You could try pulling the nut as you unscrew it. Failing that it might need carefully cutting off. You would then need a stack of washers (or ideally a spacer).

It’s not ideal though and I’d rather replace the cartridge.

ackie
    Free Member

Ok thanks andyl. Will this leave until the weekend…

boxelder

to cart my son around on at weekends!

ackie
    Free Member

Andy!
    How are you?
    Yes I’d been looking at those.
    Did you Kielder this year? 2nd child syndrome prevented me 😉

TomB

My ‘cart my son around’ forks are on-one’s cheapest, nastiest stove-pipe rigid forks at about £30. Might be worth considering while you work out the best/most cost effective repair for your rockshox?

wwaswas

As I don’t own a torque tool I guesstimated and well I’m sure you can guess what happened….

I got my oil measurements mixed up and put 125ml (not 15ml) of red rum in to each leg! It went everywhere!

Can you video any further attempts at ‘fixing’ the problem please?

boxelder

Andy!
    How are you?
    Yes I’d been looking at those.
    Did you Kielder this year? 2nd child syndrome prevented me

No Kielder for me no. 3 Peaks CX rivalled it for ‘interesting’ conditions though. Congrats on the breeding programme. My 2nd child dropped my iPad thingy onto the slate floor last night, killing it.
    Bless
    Enjoy

jota180
    Free Member

Try and get it out as per the ‘pulling it as you unscrew suggestion’
    If it comes out OK, I’d be tempted to try it with a few winds of PTFE tape on it, see if you can get enough purchase for it to grip.

ackie
    Free Member

So I put financial caution to the wind and bought a set of exotic carbon forks.

I’ll be on the look out for a dual airshaft assembly on ebay as TFTuned charge £72 for the unit plus £89 (basically a service) to install!
    I’ll attempt to fit it myself using all the knowledge I’ve gained over the past few day 🙄

Thanks all for your advice.

Trimix
    Free Member

Ha ha, you have my sympathy. Ive done similar DIY things and ended up in a right mess afterwards.

But I have learned now just to send them off to the professionals, safe in the knowledge that its cheaper in the long run. Your misery just reinforces that. Thanks.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Trashed forks content (DIY Loser Dad)!’ is closed to new replies.