Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Transporting bike abroad on plane – how?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Is the good old bike shop cardboard bike box still the done thing if you don’t have a specific bag/box?
    Impending Alps trip approaching and starting to think how I might get the bike there.
    Last time I used a cheap bike bag and when unpacking the bike on arrival in Alps I discovered a big dent in downtube….at least a box has some sort of rigidity.
    If you’re hopping off these shores this summer how are you taking your bicyclette?

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Evoc bike bag – rent one from a local shop if you can’t buy one, many offer the service

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/evoc-bike-travel-bag-280l/rp-prod64766?gs=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjwzPSrBRC_oOXfxPWP6t0BEiQARqav2NWJeOdP_oOK_TxHP0Ikhvo6luFZ–oBTtombWmYrvAaAkPQ8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Personal preference

been all over the world now long haul, short haul and more. No damage to bikes or bags.
    Cons Price and Weight
    Soft bags are pointless.
    Boxes are good one way maybe 2 unless it rains.

Best thing about the evoc is how easy it is to move, carry and haul. The extra handles in all the right places make it really hard to pick up badly so it’s easier for the baggage handlers.

Some shops hire them.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Some airlines like Lufthansa you don’t even need to box the bike up. You just pitch up at the airport with your bike as it is and hand it over. I’ve seen this a number of times at European airports now, sometimes with people in their cycling gear clearly on some form of cycling touring holiday who have just ridden into the airport. OK so the cyclists are not your usual knarly MTB’ers handing over their muddy DH rigs, but I have seen a someone with one of those electric bikes which are very heavy.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Evoc bags are £240 on Wiggle, not cheap but they do seem to have a loyal following. The one time I flew with my bike I used a soft Duffbag with lots of cardboard, pipe lagging and bubble wrap. Ended up with a scratched shock and a bent disc rotor 🙁 cardboard bike boxes can work, have seen many bikes transported that way but frankly driving is the best for protecting the bike !

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and a bent disc rotor

Always remove the rotors.

Bikes been on 30+ flights in 2 years in an Evoc and no damage.

downhilldave

Agree with Mike, Evoc and remove rotors and rear mech. Still use a little pipe lagging as well, for peace and mind.

chrism110
    Free Member

Just bought an evoc myself this will be my first trip with it

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Transporting bike abroad on plane – how?’ is closed to new replies.