Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Transporter-curious
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

LWB, even with a towbar fitted, goes in most spaces no issues. Thank god for parking sensors though….

Marin
    Free Member

T4 chugged to Italy and back this summer with no drama. Haven’t even got alloys or a bonnet bra.

Dark-Side

curto80 – Member
    Hmmm, popped out for some new cleats and seem to have accidentally bought myself an ex demo T6 SWB Kombi.
    Whoops

That’s a posh LBS you have!

alpin
    Free Member

^^ as above…

don’t really understand peoples aversion to LWB. the arguments against are either flawed or over-blown…

not any harder to drive around town than a SWB. i can understand this argument if you are talking about a LWB Sprinter. the turning cricle of the LWB T5 is bigger, but even driving through the tight roads in town, along alpine passes or up and through italian hill top villages i’ve never had a problem (actually ther was one time i remember having to do a bit of back-and-forth… was in Finale Ligure, but then the 3 series in front of us had to do the same).

parking spaces are generally big enough and is walking an extra 50yrds to the corner of the carpark where no-one parks going to kill you? the only time i have a problem is paralell parking if someone has ignorantly parked too far away from other vehicles. (spaces are tight where i live.) if this happens i have to park and walk ~150m further.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I do like a good Transporter thread.

Good things – lots of lovely people out there who also enjoy VW Transporters of all shapes and sizes
    Retain value stupidly well. Like nothing I’ve seen before.
    Huge market for aftermarket bits and pieces if you want to do stuff to it. Interiors, exteriors etc.
    T5 forum is good for information
    Despite what some people say, my experience of a T5 is that its been 100% reliable. never let me down and owned it over 2 years now and its running twice the power it left the factory with.
    Really nice to drive. They don’t drive like cars but neither do they drive like an HGV
    Nice interior vs other vans I’ve been in which have just been, well, vans!

Bad things? they’re expensive to buy. No getting away with that. I could have bought all manner of Audis with RS badges on, German RWD things with big engines and stuff (but as I tell people, I can’t sleep in a 911 on the edge of a beach and wake up on a morning with my wife and kids and put the kettle on!)
    If you get one, sound deaden and insulate it. Its a big tin box on wheels so sound deadening the cab doors, floor and the entire back makes a massive difference.
    Theres a lot of people who raid eBay etc for chrome stuff and big wheels and drive them like tits.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Transporter-curious’ is closed to new replies.