Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Transparent or at least translucent permanent "awning" ?
  • scaredypants

I don’t know WTF I’m on about – again !

We have a very ugly back patio that fills a gap between back door and garage door. It is maybe 15-20 feet square

I’d like to shelter it with a cover of some sort, at least 15 feet up (in the end I’d like to build an extension but not ready for a few years yet)

I don’t want shade and would actually prefer fully transparent but “bright” would be OK. I’m not fussed about materials; if “ded thick” PVC sheet would work, great.

What do I look for ? (started with shade sails but obvz these aren’t transparent)

Oh, and it’ll be staying up year-round – what sort of anchoring into wall/roof would it need ?

rocketman
    Free Member

Small cantilever canopy/carport of some sort?

mark90
    Free Member

Twinwall polycarb sheets on a wooden frame spanning the gap.

johndoh
    Free Member

I recently met someone whose dad made a shelter out of yachting sail material – I assume it can be had in some quite translucent colours?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Some polythene sheeting (thick mind…like DPM) and a bit of duct tape. Something to prop it up in the middle to send the rain off and there you go.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d like one of these to cover our patio. I’d settle for polycarbonate sheeting at first on a wooden frame, with the idea of changing the sheeting later if I could be bothered.

scaredypants

Thanks, I wondered about rigid sheeting but I don’t really want to be making a frame – and I doubt I could get a single sheet big enough, could I ?

I’d imagined “fabric” just for ease of transporting but also maybe fixing (a few metal hoops and some nylon rope is what I’d thought about – I suppose a rigid frame could be fitted in much the same way)

scaredypants

I’m liking DD’s idea – sounds like less than an afternoon’s work ! 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

Some polythene sheeting (thick mind…like DPM) and a bit of duct tape.

going for that a la mode Calais look?

scaredypants

7mm PVC sheet, 1.2m x 5m – anyone have an idea how much that’d weigh ?

There’s 10, 7, 5, 3mm thicknesses; I’m thinking that heavier would be good for stability in the wind. Few lengths of that with eyelets inserted (just in case the duct tape gives way) ?

I suppose I could make a frame out of scaffold pole and lace them to it and then fix it to the walls

Or a meringue ?

scotroutes

Get this guy on the case.

teasel
    Free Member

I’ve just knocked up a polycarbonate sheet carport/pergola type affair. Not that expensive or difficult TBH. Would have been even easier if I’d projected from a building instead of a freestanding build.

Side story : My neighbour, when told of this build and informed that it would be a pergola type of thing, scoffed “Heh, you need to be on the canals of Venice for that to be of any use, huh, huh.”

This from a bloke who asked to borrow a pair of pliers to get purpose(sic) on a stubborn bolt head. Double fail. I lent him nothing, of course…

Anyway, the running joke now is that I’ve built a gondola. He doesn’t seem to get it.

🙂

scaredypants

Get this guy on the case.

Are you somehow suggesting that she cannae take any more

(or is it somebody else ? 😳 )

scotroutes

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaVgRj2e5_s[/video]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Trek_materials#Transparent_aluminum

annebr
    Free Member

a conservatory?

scaredypants

that’s sort of what I want

one day 🙁

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Transparent or at least translucent permanent "awning" ?’ is closed to new replies.