• This topic has 9 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by iolo.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Translating PDF file from German to English
  • iolo
    Free Member

I have a document in German that contains a lot of very big Law words. At the moment i’m typing the words I don’t understand in one by one into google translate.
    Is there an easier way? Could I upload the file somewhere and magically get it in english?
    It’s in PDF format at present and approx 300 pages. My method is taking forever.
    Thanks

leffeboy

I think you can upload it to Google docs to do that?

edit: yep. Just upload it to google docs, open it in google docs then Tools->translate document

Also, remember there is the fancy Google Translate app for your phone. Just point the camera at a document and you see the translation on your screen. Useful for quick stuff but the google docs translate is better for larger stuff

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

There is professional translation software that will do what you ask, to a degree, but I don’t know how easy it is to obtain.

Also half the translating battle is context and word order changing meanings, software most the time will only give you the principle dictionary translation without reference to the surrounding words and nuances.

I’ve used Google for translation of single pages on my phone but I don’t know if on a proper computer you can do multi page documents.

EDIT: apparently you can!

colp

If bezirksrauchfangkehrmeister comes up, that’s Area Master Chimneysweep. Buying a place in Austria?

iolo
    Free Member

I already have one. I’m studying to be a Tour Guide. You need a license and the training is not easy. I have a whole small business Law do’s and donts to learn.

iolo
    Free Member

Useful for quick stuff but the google docs translate is better for larger stuff

It only translated the first four pages. Is there any other options?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It only translated the first four pages. Is there any other options?

Split it up?

iolo
    Free Member

That’s what I’m doing now. Thanks

colp

ou need a license and the training is not easy. I have a whole small business Law do’s and donts to learn.

Yeah, I believe they are really strict on stuff like that, you can’t just open a hotel for instance, need full hospitality training. You’re in Wien aren’t you?

iolo
    Free Member

I was in Vienna but I moved out to the countryside. Not far though, half an hour south. I’m hoping to be Austria’s first accredited Welsh speaking tour guide.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Translating PDF file from German to English’ is closed to new replies.