Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Transition Covert 29er – opinions?
  • Flapjack
    Free Member

Hi
    I am thinking of going down the 29er route and really like the look of these. I would really appreciate any opinions & experiences from any owners or anyone who has test ridden one, and especially regarding sizing (I’m 6′ so am guessing I would need a large).

Thanks
    FJ

scrufftv
    Free Member

They come up small and at 5’10.5 I even think my large could be bigger. It’s the style of the bike though and as a whole it handles well, just not as much top tube as the current trend for long front center bikes.

I have had mine sitting around as a frame for the last six months, after deciding it was too much bike for me. However, just built it back up and really enjoying it again. Some cheap light carbon wheels did the trick and got the weight south of 30 lb ( a guess ) I think.

The shock I found was a bit linear, and have chucked the next size volume shim in there which has been a great improvement. Plan to give it a proper thrashing this week though as I’ve only just done this.

Overal a solid bike, works well as an all rounder, just a little old fashioned geometry.

Northwind

I didn’t buy one in the end- purely because of money. But yes watch the sizing, they are small- the large works out similar to everyone else’s medium.

swanky
    Free Member

We’ve got a few customers on these bikes who’d be happy to talk to you about them if you would like a first hand opinion.

Contact us directly and I’ll put you in touch.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Why not a 275 would be my question ? I have a 2012 26, great bike.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Why a 275 would be my question, or a 26 for that matter, but taking the wheel size debate out of it I’ve got a 29er and, unsurprisingly, it’s a brilliant bike (as I’m sure the smaller wheeled versions would be too). Be careful with the sizing advice. It’s a short bike and intended to be so, so will feel a bit short compared to other bikes, but it’s beneficial to the fun feel and manoeuvrability of the bike. Go with the Transition sizing recommendation I would say, however at 6′ you might be in the between size grey point. I’m 5’9″ on a medium and it did feel a bit short initially but I got used to it quickly and now it’s not an issue and actually results in a very manoeuvrable bike and a position that enables you to move around on it easily. If you want a longer, more pedally bike then that’s what the Bandit is for isn’t it?

Other than that, it’s a very competent all rounder, does XC very well – you could easily take it on an all day XC adventure if you wanted, and will take whatever you can throw at it when you point it downhill too. Does everything with a slant towards the fun jumpy DH stuff.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I would add to @wobbliscott and say the bike does pedal very well although its when pointed downhill that it really shines. It has very confidence inspiring feel to it.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I test rode a 29er flavour one and didn’t like it at all, had a very sluggish tankish straight line feel to it, no agility or ‘pop’.
    I then tested a 26er and ordered one straight away. Absolutely excellent bit of kit.

However that is what I felt on the bikes and I’m sure there are a milion reasons why I’m wrong on paper. But in the saddle that was my impression.

wobbliscott
    Free Member
    Northwind

wobbliscott – Member

Be careful with the sizing advice. It’s a short bike and intended to be so, so will feel a bit short compared to other bikes, but it’s beneficial to the fun feel and manoeuvrability of the bike. Go with the Transition sizing recommendation I would say,

I’m passing on Transition’s sizing recommendations- Lars told me 5’10? You need a large, medium will definitely be too small for you.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I went with the sizing chart on the Transition website, and 5’9″ is closer to the median point for a medium (5’8″). Having had it for 18months now it’s the right size for me, large would definitely be too big for me, especially since I’ve got short 30″ legs. My Reverb is right down on the collar so couldn’t go any lower.

Flapjack
    Free Member

Thanks guys, some really useful info.
    I’m definitely after the 29er as I already have a 26″ carbon Zesty which is a great all round bike, but having recently ridden a mates new 29er FS, I was totally blown away by how smooth and fast rolling it was compared to the Zesty. I’ve always liked the look of the Covert and having no Transition stockist near me to try one (Suffolk) I wanted to make sure it was a bike that would be suitable for XC and general trail centre type duties rather than more gravity fuelled rides – something of which we don’t get a lot of in Suffolk baring in mind it’s as flat as a witches tit! 🙁

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Flapjack – for what you describe that’s a Bandit which is similar-ish to your Zesty (which are nice bikes). I would say the Bandit is a bit more “DH capable”. The Covert pedals well but I bought mine as my “big bike” – mainly holidays / riding weekends away to more challenging terrain, I ride my HT (BFe) most of the time (as it’s lighter and its more fun on average trails as you have to focus on technique a bit more). The Covert loves to point downwards and just soaks stuff up with the downside that on an average ride it makes it a bit dull/too easy ! If could only have one bike it would probably be a choice between Bandit and Covert, Bandit would be perfect for 48 weeks of the year and the Covert for 4.

sprocker
    Free Member

My mate had a large bandit which fits him just right at 6 1 although I think the covert comes up a bit shorter. The bandit is really solid and capable bike so worth looking at that as well as the covert. I have just bought a large prime which is a bit longer and aimed at similar stuff. Can’t comment on the ride as not built up yet.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Transition Covert 29er – opinions?’ is closed to new replies.