• This topic has 40 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Tess.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Trans Provence Training – who is doing it? How you getting on?
  • Tess
    Free Member

Is anyone else out there cycling up every hill in their vicinity getting ready for Trans Provence? How are you getting on? How much training are you doing? I don't know if I've done enough or to little. I am going out 2 times a week up 300 metres on short 1and a half – 2 hour rides after work but a bigger several hour ride at w/e's where I try to do 800 to 1,000m of ascent. Also what tyres for the event? I'm just using the ones' that came with my bike trek fuel ex 8.

Straightliner

Did it last year but not doing it this year – however great event and awesome riding.

Anyway, the ups are manageable with a reasonable level of fitness, but you will be walking some of them so pack comfy bike shoes and not racing slippers. Remember that a lot of the climbs invlove lift assistance so aren't too bad, although that doesn't mean it's easy. On stages there is limited climbing but in the heat of the moment you may push too hard anyway.

Tyres were a mixture – something like High Rollers are fine. A lot of the trails are very rocky, so use something tough enough to avoid silly punctures – tubeless makes sense. We were luckt that most trails were dry – when it rained overnight the trails became very greasy but we were all in the same situation.

Good luck and enjoy, it's a lot of fun!

Tess
    Free Member

HI thanks for tips, current tyres look pretty much like they are for single track smooth easy climbing race sort of tyres – am thinking high rollers might be better for the technical stuff but slow me down elsewhere. 6 of one and half a dozen of the other isn't it….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nasher
    Free Member

Hi Tess

I guide around that are And I would reccommend a 2.35 hi roller on the front and a larsen or crossmark at the back.

Grip at the front where you need it and a bit of speed with a rear fast rolling tyre.

Its a combo i use for AM XC as well s DH..

Chainline
    Free Member

Hi Tess,

I did the Keilder 100 at the weekend and I think I'm happy with the climbing aspects!

I am mildly concerned about my ability to confidently handle very tight downhill switchbacks. Anywhere in the UK I could practice a bit of that?

Oh and the fact I'll be riding a non-suspended bike 😆

Tess
    Free Member

Chainline Good luck to you doing TP without suspension, I've bought a dual suspension bike specially for the week as I've previously lunged about on a hardtail. I'm sure we'll be challlenged by many aspects of TP and that will be the fun of it.

Nasher ta for your tips much appreciated I cannot wait for this event.

Chainline
    Free Member

I'm a masochist Tess!!

I have a huge front tyre to help me and a very flexy seat tube/post.

Is there anywhere in the UK we can practice those very tight downhill switchbacks with sheer drops I keep seeing in the videos 😮

Tess
    Free Member

No where local to me, I was talking to someone who did it last year and she said no riding in England prepares you for what TP offers – it's best just to go with it once you get there. Personally speaking I don't know anywhere for tight switch backs other than trail centres I guess. Have you tried Lee Quarry that's undergone some development recently I understand and believe it has switch backs but I could be wrong.

Chainline
    Free Member

Cannocks got them, but they're uphill 🙁

ilikebikes
    Free Member

Chainline ride the other way 😮

RHSno2
    Free Member

I would suggest you put bigger days in on the weekend. Having done it last year and loved it you'll want to do more than survive and enjoy it. The more fitness and riding time you have the more you will enjoy it. There is a lot of enjoyment to be had. A couple of days have almost 2000m of vertical ascent and around a 3rd will be pushing carrying up real mountains.

I'd also try and through in some high intensity riding too as even if your just along for the ride you will find yourself beasting yourself on the timed stages. Its in the spirit of the event…

Tyres. What Nasher said. You won't be riding fast to get to places, just steady but whilst doing staged sections you will want grip. There is a lot of variance in surface type but I'd run WTB Weirwolf/Maxxis Minion/Maxxis Ardent 2.35/4 and something like a crossmark/larsen on the rear (2.35)

good luck and enjoy, it really is an incredible event which will change the way you view mountain biking.

Tess
    Free Member

What is a cross mark/larsen like?

Chainline
    Free Member

Walking, for 650m of vertical!!!! how steep is it, 1 in 2!!! or just too rocky to ride and maintain momentum…must say that doesn't sound so much fun…I'm all for vertical ascent but I do like to ride it.

juan
    Free Member

I guide around that are And I would reccommend a 2.35 hi roller on the front and a larsen or crossmark at the back.

I second that. I live in the 06, so where the trans will end. I would had that you want a super tacky front. If you're a light rider you won't need dual ply but I would use a LUST tyre. If you're VERY light and don't want the extra weight of HR, I recommend some schawble big betty or a mix big betty/Muddy mary front/rear. But I prefer the maxis combo (most local do as a matter of fact). A gravity dropper like is a winner around here and so are shin guard. The format of the race 'real enduro' allows you to use them only for DH timed staged. If you have any other question feel free to ask I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge.

All the best

Juan

Tess
    Free Member

OK thanks for tyre advice I just put maxxi hi rollers 2.35 on the front and back as that’s what I’ve used for my hard tail riding round local trails and it seems to work for me. Anyway should be fun – ‘cept heavy rain forecast this Fri which is a little off putting.

ir12daveor
    Free Member

I did it last year and it was awesome. I’m not doing it this year but will definitely do it again sometime.

As for training big days on the run are the key. You want to practice the descents as much as possible. A lot of people were astounded by the length of the descents last year. Its great fun but descending for 30-50mins in one go can be more physical then some people think.

The vast majority of the Switchbacks on the TP route are not that bad. They are all rideable around with pace. There are very few that I would consider to be really tight Alpine type switchbacks. The TP ones are really really fun to ride.

Enjoy it I’m a bit jealous that I am not on the last run up to doing it this year.

Schweiz
    Free Member

Bring a warm sleeping bag. Night time temperatures could be close to freezing at altitude on Tuesday night…

willredmond
    Free Member

Weather looks like its going to improve from Sat tho and next week looks ok so far!! Fingers crossed

Chainline
    Free Member

Anyone who has done it before…what about shoes?

My main shoes are Sidi Dragons, which are very comfy but I am worried by some of the comments on write ups like…don’t bring disco slippers. My backup pair is a pair of semi-boot type trail shoes

Any comments welcome…I don’t intend to do much walking….although probably quite alot of mincing downhill 🙂

Chainline
    Free Member

Also I have knee pads, never worn them before but taking the advice, what about elbow pads, would seem strange to have one but not the other? Although I can’t imagine wearing them at any other event!

ir12daveor
    Free Member

Thats what a lot of us said last year. All I can say is fair **** to you if you can ride all of the liasons. The terrain is steep and there is a lot of hike-a-bike. Don’t bring the Sidi’s bring the boots, you’ll be glad of them.

As far as I remember nearly everything was ridable up on Day 1 and 5, (someone feel free to correct me on that) but every other day had generous amounts of hiking in. Believe me though its worth it for the trails on the other side. Some of the specials leave you with the biggest grin on your face that you can imagine.

Oh… and while the trails are relatively technical it is all very ridable. Apparently the most technical stage from last year has been taken out of the event for this year.

gary

Anyone who has done it before…what about shoes?

My main shoes are Sidi Dragons, which are very comfy but I am worried by some of the comments on write ups like…don’t bring disco slippers. My backup pair is a pair of semi-boot type trail shoes

I wore Sidi Dominators last year. I would do anything to avoid doing the same again 🙂 My big toes hurt for some time afterwards.

See the comments above about extensive hikes up steep hillsides, your other shoes sound like a better bet. Some guys had nice Northwave shoes with vibram soles last year that seemed perfect.

Chainline
    Free Member

Ir12daveor

Thats what a lot of us said last year. All I can say is fair **** to you if you can ride all of the liasons.

Didn’t say I could but I’d rather!,, 😕

I’ll have to look at the shoe situation!! I will be clipped in

Tess
    Free Member

OK so far. I’ve packed walking boots so I’m happy with that. My waterproofs have been rewaterproofed. My bag is full of energy bars and carbohydrate/electrolyte powder. I probably haven’t done enough backtoback big rides but will have to live with that as its’ to late now as it all kicks off on Sunday. I’ve spent the last 3 months getting fit as I could only do limited training before then as I bust my abkle in january. Hell I just want to cycle through Provence and finish the damn thing . So to all you guys who did it last year thanks for your help,tips advice it has all been very helpful and to all of us flying out Saturday see you then and best of luck to you all.

gary

Good luck – I’d much rather be out riding in Provence then wrapping up a software project!!

G.

Chainline
    Free Member

Yay Tess, I second that, I’ve done no back to back rides!

I might put in some trail walking sandals(inov8) they weigh naff all and would easily fit in a back pack for any hike, 30secs shoes off and reverse when necessary!

Mate of mine just suggested it!

Checked the bike fits in the bag, yes, mini cam yes, so good to go…

ir12daveor
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn’t use the Sandals. A good pair of shoes like the Shimano or Pearl Izumi walking style shoes that take a cleat are the best option. I wore specialized carbon sole MTB shoes last year and pretty much killed them (and my feet) when I did it last year. Since then I’ve got the Pearl Izumi ones which are great for T-P style days. I’ve still got a cleat but when I’m off the bike there is less time spent sliding around and its far more comfortable.

Pretty much everyone who rode last year rode clipped in and pretty much everyone concurred at the end on the shoes thing.

Straightliner

Yep, get something comfortable to wear on your feet with more flexible soles for the walking. There is walking, you will not be able to ride all of it – there were some superb riders on last years ride and everyone needed to dismount and push/drag the bike at times.

You’ve still got time to find some more trail friendly shoes and break them in – it will be worth the spend!

I had Specialized race shoes last year – trashed them and made some of the climbs very tricky.

Anyway, aside from shoes have a brilliant time all who are entered for this year, I wish I was out there with you.

gary

I wore specialized carbon sole MTB shoes last year and pretty much killed them (and my feet) when I did it last year. Since then I’ve got the Pearl Izumi ones which are great for T-P style days.

Oh yes, forgot to mention my Sidis were well battered too and have now been demoted to commuting. I got a pair of the Pearl Izumi X-Alp shoes ready for the next time.

Chainline
    Free Member

Can’t find the pearl Izumi alp-x enduros anywhere 🙁

Shimano mt91? Could be hot though
    My backup was specialized buzz saw, perhaps these care now main shoe with sidi as backup!!

gary

They look like they would do the job as long as they have a bit more flex and are grippier

Chainline
    Free Member

I’ve stumped up for some MT91s, I’ll leave the disco slippers at home.

This event is getting expensive…knee pads (I never wear them), boots, bladder (never use one, always carry bottles), bike bag ( first time I’ve taken a bike on plane!)…can’t wait tho…1day to go, should I try and get a bit fitter tomorrow 😆

Tess
    Free Member

So TP 2010 now all over. How are we feeling? Anyone out there a little bit tired? And can anyone give me the address for Graeme and Jen’s tweetings re the race as Graeme texted it me but I deleted it by mistake.

ir12daveor
    Free Member

Graeme’s Twitter is his first and last name as one word. Sorry I don’t want to post it properly on a public forum, but those that know him should be able to get it from that.

It was great getting updates from him the whole week. I spent the whole week thinking what trails you would be all riding at any particular point. I hope ye all had as good a time as we did and made as good friendships over the course of the week as we did.

Chainline
    Free Member

very tired Tess, I dont know about the tweets.

Very glad I bought the shoes…

Way more pushing and carrying than expected.

Some of the descents very very difficult Rigid, but overall the Jones was pretty damn good, awesome on some of the stuff, not on others. It never broke all week, nothing, despite a number of close encounters with scenery and rocks!

I would take full suss next time though, so many steps on the trails and TV sized rocks that the technical challenge of navigating it all and the cumulative physical effect of my arms and shoulders impersonating 160 forks was at times a bit much!

Awesome experience though, amazing scenery, brilliant new friendships, elevated my riding to a new level and I even got to prefer some of the walking pushing up steeps to fire road drags cos I saw the scenery rather than being buried in my headstock…Worth every penny.

singletrackmatt

Well done Tess – Well done Chainline .

I’m fubured today…… Your right about that full suspension malarky though Chainline heh? ;]

I had an amazing week – loved the trails – wish I’d been fitter – Can’t wait to do it again!!! ;^O

Stu

Yep, feeling a bit tired today to put it mildly – nearly rode into a parked car on the way into work this morning! 🙄

Well done to everyone for making Monaco – great to meet you all and ride some awesome trails! Tess your efforts were inspirational and cheers to Chris for waiting for me (briefly!) at the top of the hills! 😆

willredmond
    Free Member

Really missing being on the bike. Awesome organisation, unbelievable trais and cracking company made it the greatest week I’ve ever had on a bike. Great effort to all involved!

ton

a friend was doing the route marking for this……works for trail addiction.
    just been looking at his photos.
    what a fantastic event and places to ride.
    you lucky people……….. 8)

Chainline
    Free Member

I’m still knackerd today!! Thinking about next year, maybe on a ‘160’ bike eh Admanmatt 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Trans Provence Training – who is doing it? How you getting on?’ is closed to new replies.