Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Trans Pennine Trail for a family ride- Where to find a map?
  • mefster
    Free Member

We’re planning a family ride today with our 3 year old on the Wee-Ride and 1 year old in the trailer. We’re based near Altrincham and the usual options include Delamere, Lyme Park and Middlewood Way or Grizedale (although Grizedale is a little more limiting mow we have two; no unhitching the trailer to do sections of the NFT!)

I know the Trans Pennine Trail passes close by, and am aware of a few sections, and was wondering if that might be an option. With the trailer we’d like to minimise any road riding and avoid any busy roads, but if we were able to ride from home it would make it a much easier option.

I’ve had a look at the website but although it has lots of information, it falls short of a route map showing exactly where the path goes so we can see if it would be an option with the trailer.

If anyone is familiar with this section, do you know if it is possible with a trailer? (width, surface etc.)

Does anyone know if there is map source anywhere else (we’ll probably head in the Warrington direction) or if not, which national cycle route this part is so I can try to work it out. if not it might be a trip to Waterstones in Alty to see if they have a map for sale!

Cheers

nbt

I know the section from Jackson’s boat through to Hyde. From JB, you’d be fine with a trailer about as far as the A34, after that it gets a bit tricky as you have to leave the river for a while to go over the A34 ( I think, I used to do it on night rides with the SOuthManchesterMassive). Going through Stockport Town Centre is a nightmare. Reddish Vale is ok but then you;re on roads again for a while through to the next green section

Not ridden it in the other direction so can’t comment on that bit

Another choice (as you mention, now I re-read your original post) would be the Middlewood Way from Marple through to Macclesfield: there’s parking in Marple and as an old railway it’s fairly flat and nice and wide. It’s also been resurfaced in places and it petty mud-free at the moment

a few minutes on google suggests that it NCroute 62

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/what-we-do/national-cycle-network/long-distance-rides/england/trans-pennine-trail-west

mefster
    Free Member

Cheers for that nbt. The Middlewood Way is the other option- I’ve not done it since it’s been resurfaced so hopefully won’t be the quagmire it has been in the past. I’ll check out the sustrans website to see if there’s any info on route 62…

shadthebad
    Free Member

I know this section well.

The surface was completely redone last year between Atlantic Street and Mill Lane at Heatley. There are usually a few mud puddles towards the Heatley end.

Once you’re on the trail at Atlantic Street, the usual kissing gate or horse, railway sleeper thingy, there’s only one road crossing in Dunham at Station road, again with kissing gates and horse railway sleepers. It’s a very quiet road though.

There are carparks at the Atlantic Street and Station Road.

One end to the other is about 4.5 miles each way, with the Atlantic Street to Station Road being 3 miles.

Once past Heatley there are lots of road crossings which would probably not make it suitable for you with the trailer.

HTH

Edit: It’s very flat!!!

mefster
    Free Member

Doing a bit of research it looks like the first section from Broadheath in Altrincham to Lymm might be on the towpath of the Bridgewater Canal. If this is the case it might be a non-starter as from memory it’s a little narrow at points (particularly ubnder bridges) and might be a little dicey with the little one strapped in the trailer

Stainypants

the middlewood way can be bit of a nightmare with a trailer particularly at between bolington and macc, though that end has the best surface

shadthebad
    Free Member

It’s defininately NOT on the canal towpath at this point, but that is an option when you’re on your own 😆

mefster
    Free Member

Thanks for that shadthebad. A’d prefer to avoid the canal towpath if I could with its associated water hazards and grumpy fishermen!

Altrincham Tourist Information (Altrincham has tourists?!) don’t have the map but have a leaflet with some details that I can pop in and photocopy

shadthebad
    Free Member

I’ve got that map and it’s not that good to be honest. It doesn’t tell you much that you don’t already know and Woodlands is one lane at the moment, so the traffic is a bit of a mare.

snowslave

Go towards Warrington/lymm. It’s ideal for what you’re thinking of. Most of it is ex train track. Wide flat straight as an arrow. Easy peasy to follow too.

mefster
    Free Member

Thanks for all the tips chaps.

Did the Broadheath to Lymm section yesterday afternoon with the boys. Was ideal for what we need. The short ride to Seamons Road to join the trail was fine with the trailer; mainly quiet roads.

Really impressed with the trail for family riding. Surface seems really good (and hopefully in all weathers. Most of the gates could be negotiated (Except the ones with the sleepers you have to lift the bike over- 2 man job for the trailer).

Picnic lunch in Lymm, duck-feeding and an hour on the park before heading home.

Such a bonus to be able to ride from home, and when the boys get alittle older it’ll be great for getting them out on their own bikes. I think it’ll get plenty of use from us!

Be interesting to see where it heads as you get to Warrington and if it remains traffic-free.

cp

Beyond Lymm there’s about 1-2 miles before you have to do a 1 mile road section… Then through Warrington there are quite a few road crossings and it gets pretty rough in places…

PaulBecks
    Free Member

mefster, if you email me your postal address to paul.beckett@trafford.gov.uk i’ll send you a Trafford cycle map that includes all the off road routes in the area.

snowslave

As you get past Warrington it gets a bit grim to be honest. Try the other direction next but take in loops o sale and Chorlton water park, on towards didsbury etc.

snowslave

Plenty of duck action at both of those lakes too…. 🙂

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Northwards, I’d check out the trail by yourself before taking the kids along. From Broadheath you’re straight onto a road section until the reaching the tip on Sinderland Road. It’s then (mostly) good wide tracks until reaching Carrington Road (last bit is narrower, wetter, and may have some awkward pinch points for the tag along). Bit of (quiet) road again, then track to the Mersey. Over the Mersey and along the bank on a decent surface. The track then leaves the river and, without fail, is always really muddy until you reach the M60 crossing at Streford.

mefster
    Free Member

thanks for the info chaps. I’ll recce the bits in other directions but sounds like the section we did is the most usable.

PaulBecks- thanks for the offer- I’ve PM’d you.

It’s funny. Although I’ve lived in the area for 7 years, my local knowledge is really limited when it comes to off road riding. When I was growing up I knew every sneaky off road route around Warrington, but I realise that I don’t get the opportunity to mess about and explore the local area like I did as a kid. I suppose with the limited riding time I get, it’s either a blast on the road bike or if I get longer, then bike on the car and Delamere, Macc Forest or the Lakes/Peaks. I always feel the need to get a ‘proper’ ride in…

project
    Free Member

Southport (cheap bike hire here, and a park and ride)to Aintree flat and a bit bumpy follows the road which used to be the railway line, then at Formby on a single track road very bouncy due to subsidence, then back on the old railway track to maghaull, then along the old tip, onto the leeds liverpool canal not suitable for a trailer as you have to negotiate a set of steps at Old roan, and a side road to Aintree station.

Then back on track to Hunts cross, lots of restrictors for motorbikes, then via the TATA Jaguar factory, through Halewood, onto Hale, keep left, busyish road, throught the sweage works entrance and country park,large flight of stairs here, about 40, but ramped into platforms then runcorn Home to many smells most probably toxic, from here you follow the mersery past fiddlers ferry power station on the old canal,next is warrington, narrow path, alongside the ship canal, to morrisons, nice jaunt along the road for a bit then on the old railway again, to Lymm, visitor centre here park in the car park or on the road not in the hotell car park clampers.

Bike shop in the old station building a few miles on , on the left, and a coop for food, the bike shop has plenty of maps free.

Then carry on to the M60, lovely bridge spanniing the M60 13 lanes of traffic, that appreciates a hearty wave when the road below is grid locked, and finally arrive a sale water park.

http://www.Sustrans.org.uk have plenty of free downloadable maps andtpt maps for sale.

Hunts cross and southport (southport line), Aintree and old roan (Ormskirk line) are quite near the TPT, and trains run every 15 minutes, all the trains take bikes free.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Trans Pennine Trail for a family ride- Where to find a map?’ is closed to new replies.