Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Trans Cambrian Trail article in latest mag
  • cinnamon_girl

Wow, I am certainly inspired to give this a go 8)

So … time for willy-waving … who has? And what did you think of it? And how long did it take you? Any recommendations for accommodation?

Was particularly interested to see there is a baggage carrying service cos I would struggle to get the hairdryer in my backpack 🙄 Certainly 4 or 5 days would be a more enjoyable option.

Share your experiences!

Clink

I was meant to do it last year…but then didn't 🙁
    I fancy doing it with bivi's! (I know I'd regret it though!). Some guy did it in one day/24hrs I think.

cinnamon_girl

Bivis? In Wales? Mad, totally mad!!

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Yes it's been ridden in well under 24 hours.

Link to luggage transfer … ask for Paul

http://www.muckyweekends.co.uk/index.html

Cheers
    Stuart

cinnamon_girl

Stuart – many thanks for that link. Luggage transfer would make such a difference.

StephenCairns
    Free Member

I did this a couple of years ago over 3 days. We had 3 cars, so we left one each at the overnight stop with clothes in etc. This also meant we only had to get back to Llangurig on the last day. The route is excellent, easy to follow and well worth the effort. My advice is to be prepared for proper Welsh rain, even in summer!

Steve

cinnamon_girl

Oh, I know all about Welsh summer rain. Would be doing it solo so would have no hesitation in calling it a day if I ended up in wuss mode 😉

BigTed
    Free Member

Did the Trans Cambrian three years ago in September and despite three days of headwind and rain (ok, the sun came out when waiting for the train at Dyfi Junction!) had a really, really good time and saw no one apart from a farmer when we pushed up at the edge of a ploughed field.

Route finding using the IMBA maps (a tenner if I remember correctly) was fine and there are plenty of options to cut it shorter if weather/mechanicals/general malaise hits.

We stayed in random accommodation recommended on the IMBA info sheet which was great and carried our stuff in largish Camelbaks (containing minimal overnight change of clothes, bad weather jacket, knee and arm warmers).

We are/were far from awesome atheletes but reasonably fit and I reckon 3 days is a good time to take – we rode from 10ish to 4ish each day with a variety of breaks, had a change and wash of cycling clothes at the B+B and then a pub meal and a couple of beers.

The terrain is not at all radical, more old skool out in the middle of nowhere riding (although you're never that far from somewhere in reality). Stunning though, especially the Elan Valley.

flatfish
    Free Member

Did the Welsh Ride Thing in may which was organized by stuart in the above posting, 76 miles of mint riding over three days. I'll be doing it again next may, you are organizing it again aren't you stu??????

Any helen keller t's yet?

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for the replies 🙂

Certainly been interesting to read people's experiences.

A plan is forming … but probably for next year.

s8tannorm
    Free Member

You heard it here first Flatfish … The Welsh Ride Thing will be on again next year, I've already booked the fantastic weather we had this year.

I'll keep you posted on the T's.

Stuart

flatfish
    Free Member

GET IN

NigE5
    Free Member

Just did this ride over the may bank holiday W/E
    9 of us over 3 days, 108 miles.
    Used an Edge 705. Downloaded Tracklogs routes from the IMBA site with a few alterations. We did have map back ups.
    Used http://www.muckyweekends.co.uk/index.html for luggage transfer highly recommended and they will do all the accommodation as well. We did our own accommodation with varying results but avoid the Elan Hotel as they are a shambles and not to be trusted.
    3 day was the best riding.
    It can be done over 4 days for a more relaxed pace.

rkk01
    Free Member

blance off mtb-wales.com did N-S Wales off road in less than 24 hours last year.

I believe he is attempting there and back again (S – N – S) sometime in the future…?

rkk01
    Free Member

Here we go: south – north – south in under 48 hrs!!!

mtb-wales thread

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Trans Cambrian Trail article in latest mag’ is closed to new replies.