Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Trans AM 2016 thread
  • faustus

Well, it’s not mtb but the riding is epic and the current top five are stealing a march on everyone else.

http://trackleaders.com/transam16

Lael Wilcox and Sarah Hammond (despite a wrong turn yesterday) are in the top 5 group and both started very strongly. Trans Am facebook page has daily updates, Lael’s partner is posting interesting updates here: https://gypsybytrade.wordpress.com/ Apparently Lael never sleeps in a room on the route and pretty much only eats while on the move, oh, and is not carrying a sleeping bag.

They started on June 4th and the leaders are already approching 1100miles covered! It’s better than the TdF.

BoardinBob

Is this the road race one? I saw a red bull doc on some German guy doing it. It looks like the worst thing imaginable. Zero sleep for days on end. The guy was basically asleep on the bike and turning the pedals in his sleep at a painfully slow rate.

steezysix
    Free Member

No, that’s the RAAM – the Trans Am is unsupported, bikepacking style like a road version of the Tour Divide. There’s a really good film about it called “Inspired to Ride” that came out a while ago, worth a watch.

faustus

It is the road one, but has the same self-supported rules as the tour divide and trans continental. It is super-tough at about 4400 miles, and Mike Hall won the first outing in 2014, completing it in just 17 days!

There’s a good film about it called Inspired to Ride (i think available on Amazon prime), and Mike looks pretty destroyed at the end of it, understandably!

EDIT: ah, beaten to it!

v666ern
    Free Member

See Lee Fancourt is doing well, local UK rider supported by LBS. I like his training loops Gloucester – Bristol repeatedly until he hits 300miles its mental

In July, Lee smashed three world records for cycling the most miles off-road on a mountain bike over 12, 24 and 48 hours, along the family trail at the Pedalway Cycle Centre in The Forest of Dean.

BoardinBob

No, that’s the RAAM

Ah, that’s the one

F
    that

dirtyrider
    Free Member

See Lee Fancourt is doing well,

he’s actually MIA, his spot hasn’t updated for over 30 hours, nobody knows where he is and he’s not made contact with anyone

his FB page is here and its being update by slam69

https://www.facebook.com/Leefancourtendurancecyclist/?fref=ts

v666ern
    Free Member

Oof sorry to hear that, not a FB user so missed it. Fingers crossed he’s fine

atlaz
    Free Member

Hope he’s fine too. Seems to have had some bad luck with the Jogle and now this if it’s more than his tracker failing.

scud
    Free Member

Lee was having problems with his dynamo which wasn’t charging GPS or lights properly, but concern is that SPOT tracker is still Active, but hasn’t moved since Tuesday morning and he hasn’t called home to either his fiancee or Graham at Slam 69 bike shop who sponsor him.

They are concerned enough that they have contacted race organisers and the state police to search for him.

v666ern
    Free Member

I’m still alive! TABR day 6

FROM FB PAGE

faustus

And doing alright by the look of the now-working tracker…

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Looks like he *wasn’t* alright. Collapsed and was lying under a tree for 40 hours. Holy moly.

faustus

Blimey, that sounds bad

faustus

Been trying to keep track of this despite being on holiday…looks like Sarah Hammond had to have a long rest and has lost her second place for now. Label Wilcot doing very well

john_l
    Free Member

Lael is amazing. Well worth a dig through the gypsybytrade archives for a peek at everything else she’s been doing.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Broken mech hanger for lee fancourt – no spare

scud
    Free Member

Lee Fancourt’s luck isn’t changing, trouble is he is riding a high end Colnago and no local bike shops stock mech hanger, did message him to see if he could get hold of emergency mech hanger in short term at least to keep hm moving and get colnago sent ahead?? Doesn’t seem to have tried to single speed it either?

russyh
    Free Member

He did cobble together a single speed to get himself to a bike shop. I must say I am surprised Lee didn’t have a spare mech hanger with him. Maybe he did and had already used it? He has had a shocker this race. But he will never give up! I have never met a man with such dogged determination! He is a great guy and a real inspiration!

faustus

All of a sudden the leaders are only 1400miles or less to the finish, and the dots went so quickly across the plains!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

There is a ton of climbing through Missouri, Kentucky and Virginia. Much harder to read and ride than the long easier gradients over the Rockies.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’m curious as to the ‘poor’ showing from Jay Petervary. He’s been a consistently high finisher on the Tour Divide, I thought the TransAm would be an easier proposition, but he’s been miles off the pace from the start. Has ultra endurance road riding developed some superhuman athletes that make exception ones look ordinary?

faustus

Who knows? Mike hall and Lael are both TD vets and are clearly capable at both. I’m not sure it’s necessarily all about being mega fit, but getting your strategies right with pace and sleep patterns – and adapting it for different types of riding

faustus

It’s turning into a fascinating finish, with just over 500 miles left for the top 3. Stefan Streich, who has been in the lead be 80-90miles nearly the whole time, is pushing himself to the absolute limit and may be cracking as his resting patterns are apparently all over the place. Lael Wilcox is now on a mission to finish first, and has made up a huge chunk of the gap between her and stefan, leaving Evan behind. She is reportedly in very good spirits and feeling good – racing to meet up with her partner Nick in Yorktown.

Phenomenal stuff, although it looks like Mike will keep his record.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

It’s worth remembering that there is more climbing in Virginia than in any other state on the route. Heat and humidity will be crushing too.

scud
    Free Member

Has been a great event to watch and follow on Facebook and Trackleaders.

I think Sarah Hammond will be one to watch for the future, she seems to have gone off a bit too qucikly at the start and paid the price in the altitude and heat. But for a first timer who will have gained a lot of experience from her first Trans-Am, it has been a great ride. Between her and Lael, it certainly shows that the ladies can really hold there own in these ultra-distance events.

Feel sorry for Lee Fancourt, what a plucky ride, i’m sure after all he has been through, thoughts of jacking it in really must have crossed his mind, yet he is still cranking out the miles.

faustus

Well, drama strikes! Stefan has run out of tubes and has a flat tyre, 15miles from town. Lael is catching him and not sure if she can help?

I got caught up in the drama but then thought, surely you’d carry a couple of packs of self adhesive patches?! You could make one of the tubes work…

steezysix
    Free Member

Lael is catching him and not sure if she can help?

At this stage of the race would she really want to? 😀

faustus

I know, it’s a test of character..I think she probably would. But looks like he has made it into town now..

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Can’t Stefan hitch a ride to town, pick up a new tube, get a ride back to where he was picked up from and continue?

steezysix
    Free Member

Looks like he’s moving again, so hopefully he has it sorted. Shame Lael’s tracker isn’t updating, I want to she how close she got!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

There are only five miles separating Lael from Stefan, this could end up in a sprint finish 😯

steezysix
    Free Member

She’s ahead now! Although both their trackers seem to be a bit spotty.

faustus

Wow, Lael 5 miles in the lead and 109 miles to go! By all accounts they are both rested, I think Stefan might ride faster than Lael on average, and it’s a pretty flat run-in now – what a finish!

elliott-20
    Free Member

I’m glad I’m not the only one who is excited about this finish.

faustus

The trackers aren’t updating that frequently, and stefan in now showing 1 mile ahead of lael but hers hasn’t updated in 25mins. I think that’ll happen all the way to the finish.

faustus

Less than 80 miles to go and Lael now has an 8 mile lead. Neither Lael or Stefan will stop for sleep now…epic ending!

scud
    Free Member

Lael seems to have 17 mile lead now according to her FB page, stunning ride from her, paced to perfection!

faustus

Indeed, according to the gypsybytrade blog, Stefan woke up from a sleep and went back up the road the wrong way for a while! And is also experiencing gps issues..didn’t stock up on tubes either after lots of puntctures. Seems like some tired decisions (understandably!) but that’s part of the game. This afternoon’s dot watching will be good!

shaggy

The dots aren’t refreshing often enough! I’m on tenterhooks!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Trans AM 2016 thread’ is closed to new replies.