Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Trangia Gas Burner
  • kona_uk
    Free Member

I have a trangia set, but the fuel takes sometime to boil and cook etc…

But I have seen the Trangia Gas Burner, has anyone used one of these ?

Are they worth the 35 quid…or is it time to buy a new stove…

montylikesbeer

Hmm trangias, great when we all donned huge packs and massive boots back in the day.

I have a jetboil system, its light, fast and well is a bit more 21st century.

Don’t get me wrong I had a few trangias over the years including the light weight personal one…………….. nah not for me anymore.

kona_uk
    Free Member

I thought there were a bit outdated…..just been looking at stoves and there is so much choice….and they seem very light too.

montylikesbeer

the MSR pocket rocket is a cracker too

willyboy
    Free Member

we used a trangia with a gas burner earlier this year, whilst camping in Scotland. It worked very well.

Stoner
    Free Member

I like the pocket rocket – just be aware though that the burner head is small and so can create hot spots when heating dryer food (as opposed to boiling water) even though it is adjustable.

Pair it up with a nice Ti Mug and you’re away for superlight loveliness 🙂

If you want to reuse your Trangia pans though, then you may want a slightly broader burner than the pocket rocket

Vader
    Free Member

I have the gas burner unit and am very impressed. I used the meth burner for years and took some convincing to go for the gas option but am chuffed I did. For car camping and general base camping it makes an excellent stable and windproof stove. I have also made a second lower wind shield which allows bigger pans and proper frying as it is lower to the flame.

If you are backpacking or weight is a premium then yes, the jetboils etc are better options, although my msr rocket needs a windshield and is a bit unstable.

montylikesbeer

True vader, its about horses for courses, the jet boil was fantastic high in the highlands last week but would I use it by the road, probably not.

Vader
    Free Member

monty can you use it with a bigger pan or is it just the one size? And does it stand up or do you hang it? I like the idea of one for bivvy trips

montylikesbeer

Its (the jet boil) is a personal cooking system, the 110 g gas canister and the burner fits inside the “pan”, I got a separate large pan adapter and steadying frame with mine, they are fantastic for bothy trips and the burn is 40% more efficient due to a heat exchanger under the “pan”

montylikesbeer
    xherbivorex
    Free Member

i found a trangia in tk maxx a year or so ago for 15 quid and it came with the gas burner. result. it works a treat. for that money, i’m quite happy to keep using it.

Ambrose

I’ve use a meths burner trangia for years. A decent upgrade would be a multi fuel pressurised burner, MSR stylee. Does anyone know of one? I’m pretty unconvinced re: the advantages of propane vs alcohol for pure energy content. I believe that weight for weight you have a more energy rich fuel with meths. But I may be wrong.

But meths can be hard to obtain in the UK, pricey too. In other countries this is not the case however and in Scandanavia the ‘local’ meths burns very cleanly and is ultra cheap.

spandex_bob

I bastardised my trangia to fit a whisperlite inside it; made for a cheap to run, super-stable, wind-proof stove that boiled water as quick as a quick thing. Pretty heavy / bulky to carry, but perfect for doing lots of brews for people in a short space of time.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I keep seeing these comments about trangia meths burners being slow but I’ve never experienced this – mine always boils the kettle as fast as my gas one, or any of the gas ones my mates have, and whats more last weekend I got 2 mugs worth of water boiling, 2 500ml pans of beans, a pair of fried eggs and some bacon out of one filling. Dont know what I’m doing right but nothing would convince me to change to gas for my main cooker. Our D of E stores (I used to expedition lead) swapped to gas trangias (for safety with kids) and I always used my meths so I’ve experience of both.

Ambrose – almost any Asda, Tesco or local pharmacy has meths, though usually in a 500ml bottle for about 2.50 which is pricey, my other half got a gallon container full from a camping shop for £12 though, which is much better.

shoefiti
    Free Member

I use a Trangia for cycle touring (meths) I reckon they are not that big and bulky (or heavy) whne you consider you have burner, wind shield, 2 saucepans, a non stick frying pan and a kettle, i don’t think there is another system out there that offers all that and packs away so small and light.

I wouldn’t mind the option of gas etc on it, but then again meths doesn’t let you down.

amosridl
    Free Member

I got one of these for some lightweight cycle camping last year.

Simple device and weighs next to nothing. Works well and smile inducing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ULTRALIGHT-ALCOHOL-BACKPACKING-STOVE-CAMPING-STOVES_W0QQitemZ300321732244QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090611?IMSfp=TL090611215002r10731

Didn’t pay $11.95 though. There was a guy doing them for a couple of quid last year on ebay.

montylikesbeer

looks very light and more than worth a dabble

PhilO
    Free Member

I’ve use a meths burner trangia for years. A decent upgrade would be a multi fuel pressurised burner, MSR stylee. Does anyone know of one?

Yep 🙂

Not cheap, mind. I’ve just hacked mine to take an old XGKII that I’ve had for years…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Trangia Gas Burner’ is closed to new replies.