Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Trance – ghost shifting and strange knocking
  • atlaz
    Free Member

Took the Trance out for its first “proper” ride today. 2007 frame with Pikes that I picked up earlier this year and it’s a fun ride; possibly too fun as I’m carrying a bit too much speed at times.

Anyway, I have a couple of issues:

1, Ghost shifts – Tweaked the gears a bit when I got done but some bloke I was talking to reckoned it might be in part down to the suspension movement. Likely to be true or just my poor gear setup skills made worse by normal riding?

2, Knocking/rattling from the back end. Only really noticable when propedal is on, but it’s definitely there. Can’t figure out where from but wondered if this was something that other Trance owners had experienced?

Also got a problem with the brakes but I’m sure I know what that is.

markd
    Free Member

make sure your cables are long enough and not getting pulled around too much when the suspension works.

rattle… dunno.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

When i had a trance it ghost shifted, as Mark says — make sure the cables are long enough – especially round the seat tube/chain stay area.
    I solved mine by using a full length outer and missing out the cable guide

atlaz
    Free Member

There’s plenty of cable I think but if the changes I made today don’t work, I’ll redo the rear a bit longer.

grumm
    Free Member

Doesn’t help answer your question sorry, but what is the max travel forks you can put on a Trance then? I thought Pikes would be too long.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

pikes rock on a trance!

scaredypants

my trance used to “pull” the rear cable through towards the back (full length outer) so I strapped it a bit tighter with a couple of cable ties.

Never got ghost shifts but then I tend to do short rides (& then I’d correct the cable for the next time)

(edit) – mine’s got a pike on too

kaiser
    Free Member

Full length cable outers

atlaz
    Free Member

The pikes seem very much on the money if you’re not looking for a lightweight build. Adjustable travel so pick whatever you want, I think mine are about 125 at the moment.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Never had an issue with my Trance since I started doing the following..I would start by checking the rear mech has not had a clout – hangers seem prone as I have had to straighten mine out a couple of times. Then check if the ‘b’ screw needs a small tweek as this affects 4 / 5 cogs mostly. I always try to use teflon coated cables and also flak jackets for the rear mech as I think its prone to grime if left bare.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

if its not new the frame that is, the top shock bush wears very quickly

DickBarton

Ghost shifting could be cable length – if it is too short or neat it could affect the shifting when the suspension is working hard – my late 05/early 06 Trance never had ghostshifting issues, but I kept the cable length as it was from the shop so had plenty of ‘spare’ when the suspension was moving – but never seemed excessive.

When does the ghost shifting occur? Is it in extreme gears? Cuold the chainline be having an affect?

Knocking noise – lift the saddle slightly – not enough to lift the rear wheel but enough to unweight it…is the knocking there? If so, it is likely to be the bushings on the shock…if you wiggle the rear wheel side to side, can you feel it? If so, it is either the rear wheel bearings needed tweaked or the rear sub-frame might have some loose bolts that need tightening…

daim

Knocking sound – I’m not saying that it is this but, make sure it’s not your main pivot bearings that have gone. Mine disintegrated and ended up wrecking my ’07 frame. The only way to be certain is by dismantling them though as my suspension felt fine. If they have collapsed they will cause the rocker linkage to rub against the seat tube which made a knocking noise on my bike as it wore through the tube as the suspension compressed.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the Trance though. I hope to get down to Swinley again soon, I will let you know.

ransos
    Free Member

Never had ghost shifting on my Trance so it does suggest incorrect cable length. Did you fit new cables when you built it?

As others have said, the mech hanger is fragile, so buy a spare and take it with you when you ride. BETD make stronger ones.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Trance – ghost shifting and strange knocking’ is closed to new replies.