Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • 'Traitorous' Argentine intellectuals on the Falklands
  • elzorillo
    Free Member

oops.. That’ll ruffle a few plumas

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Change of government, same old authoritarian b*llsh*t as the generals.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Makes sean penn seem like an even bigger idiot. 😀

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

I just can’t wait until our very own Argentine* intellectual** spots this thread.

* Citation needed.
    ** 😆

binners

we cannot impose citizenship or sovereignty on a population that does not want it

I believe if you have a look back in history, there’s been the odd isolated case of this, when attempted, not going too well

wallace1492
    Free Member

I am all in favour of self determination, but do we not as the UK spend rather a lot of loot in keeping the Falkands supplied and defended? I think the inhabitants should negotiate with Argentina and open up cheaper supply routes.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I am all in favour of self determination,

you should have stopped here

but do we not as the UK spend rather a lot of loot in keeping the Falkands supplied and defended?

do we spend a lot? would we reduce our armed forces if we didn’t have the Falklands to provide protection for?

we also spend lots more money on other things such as international aid, should we stop that? Should we be providing aid to a country with a bigger space program than ours for example?

I think the inhabitants should negotiate with Argentina and open up cheaper supply routes.

would you negotiate away your right to self determination in return for cheaper eggs?

binners

By the noises coming out of Argentina at the moment, it doesn’t sound like negotiation is something they’ve much interest in. Macho posturing seems to be very much where its at.

aracer
    Free Member

What biccies for a Falklands discussion?

derek_starship
    Free Member

Slightly OT but I wonder if there’s a curry house on the Falklands…

Gunz
    Free Member

Without a UK aircraft carrier capability they could walk in tomorrow and we’d be able to do squat anyway.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Jaffa cakes I think……

And you are right Big_N_Daft, why supply aid to a country that spends a fortune on Space, or indeed Nukes, and massive amounts of weapons, while people in its streets have no water, no houses, no food.

Plenty people do not have any sort of self determination at all, its them my heart bleeds for.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

derek_starship – Member
    Slightly OT but I wonder if there’s a curry house on the Falklands…

There isn’t, well, there wasn’t last time I was down there..although The Globe did do a curry night on a Thursday.

There is a Burger waggon tho’..

The slop jockies back up at MPA do try and make a ruby, but its’ never that good..

Unless the RIC are Gurkhas.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

you dont see a moral dimension to this? Is it reasonable for a foreign power to impose trade sanctions on another country just to further its own political objectives?

War or trade is just the continuation of policy (politics) by other means. Nod to Karl von Clausewitz whom I have badly misquoted 😉

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Gunz – Member

Without a UK aircraft carrier capability they could walk in tomorrow and we’d be able to do squat anyway.

What, with their non-existent amphibious capability and the same Skyhawks they had last time?

You better inform the Governor so he can prepare to surrender the islands.

binners

Isn’t there now an airbase on the Falklands with a load of Typhoons stationed there? That sort of negates the aircraft carrier argument

aracer
    Free Member

We’ve done this one several times – there are now a load of combat aircraft stationed there with far greater capability than anything we’ve ever flown off carriers. 🙄

captaincarbon
    Free Member

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

I believe the official conspiracy theory is that a civilian jumbo painted in the colours of the Chilean national airline will fake an emergency landing (in spite of the fact that there are no unscheduled flights that go anywhere near the islands and it would be easy to check with the Chileans whether it was one of theirs). Then quite inexplicably, said jumbo will be permitted to land. The moment it lands Argentine ‘special forces’ (no combat experience ever) will leap out and seize the base. Obviously, the RIC will all be hillwalking or counting penguins at the time and the RAF Regiment wouldn’t be the least bit curious about what was going on. Then everyone files out onto the runway, lines up and surrenders.

Simple.

hilldodger
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    What biccies for a Falklands discussion?

Garibaldi of course 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Pawsy_Bear – Member

you dont see a moral dimension to this? Is it reasonable for a foreign power to impose trade sanctions on another country just to further its own political objectives?

Is it? we do it often enough.

globalti
    Free Member

The whole Malvinas issue is a typical example of Latin American populism in action. Focus on something the people resent bitterly and blow it up to win votes.

IF Britain is ever forced to abandon the islands, perhaps we should pursue the same scorched earth policy that Portugal did when they left their African colonies; they dredged up and destroyed the shellfish, ripped out the telephone system and burned all the country’s archives. Perhaps a little Anthrax testing on the islands?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Hilldodger – voted for the best current and future contribution to this thread!

duckman

Gunz – Member

Posted 50 minutes ago #

As well as the combat aircraft mentioned, has anybody seen any submarines lately?

aracer
    Free Member

has anybody seen any submarines lately?

No – that’s the whole point!

binners

Its behiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind yooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

pitduck
    Free Member

hilldodger (Garibaldi of course)genius 😉

clubber
    Free Member

Don’t discount the Argentine subs…

aracer
    Free Member

Don’t discount the Argentine subs…

Are those the ones the internet stops you seeing?

kimbers

yaaaaaaawn is this still rumbling on

stop dignify emtpy argentinian electioneering rhetotic with intellectual stw debate

once its clear theres no oil down there everyone will drop their claims to them anyway

atlaz
    Free Member
    aracer
    Free Member

stop dignify emtpy argentinian electioneering rhetotic with intellectual stw debate

Good point. If we stop arguing about it, they’ll probably stop their sabre rattling.

duckman

kimbers – Member
    yaaaaaaawn is this still rumbling on

once its clear theres no oil down there everyone will drop their claims to them anyway

Posted 17 minutes ago # Report-Post

OOOOOO….Check her!

grum
    Free Member

‘intellectual’ STW debate is the very highest accolade, and should only be reserved for the most deserving of rhetoric. 🙂

lol, like anyone would ever do that? Mental.

Junkyard
    Free Member

so there is divided opinion on this issue in Argentina like there is divided opinion here.
    who would have thought this amazing revelation could be true till now.
    Sterling work there

What next?Reseach proves not everyone in america believes in God?
    Some people like the theatre some dont.

The rest is the usual stw “one sided polemic banter” that we have done on at least a couple of other threads.
    I am not holding out for any new information or anyone changing their mind

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

*waves to junkyard*

aracer
    Free Member

so there is divided opinion on this issue in Argentina like there is divided opinion here.

Fortunately we still have the Tower of London in which to bang up our traitors. Remind me which UK intellectuals have written a paper supporting the Argentinian position who should be in there?

aracer
    Free Member

*waves to junkyard*

Your ears must have been burning

I am not holding out for … anyone changing their mind

Junkyard
    Free Member

appreciates wave

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘'Traitorous' Argentine intellectuals on the Falklands’ is closed to new replies.