Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 161 total)
  • Trains
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ooh! can we have a Tube train PLEEEEEEASSE???

Thanks! 🙂

I remember riding on these, when I was a kid. In the ‘smoking’ carriages, you could barely see the other end of the carriage through the haze. They were lovely old trains these. Such a shame they’re all gone now. 😥

CountZero

Back when I used to haunt Chippenham station with my Ian Allen train spotter’s guide, there was always that frisson of excitement when we heard a steam whistle and saw a plume of smoke coming towards the station. Hall? Castle? King? Even better, Evening Star or one of her sisters? No, more often than not it was this:

Imagine the disappointment. (And this is the exact loco, in 1964. Thank you Internet!)

brakes
    Free Member

India likes trainings more than you likes trainings

PJM1974
    Free Member

+1 for 4-6-2 Pacifics, particularly in latter LNER.

CountZero

I’ll see your Pacific and raise you this:

9F 2-10-0 Evening Star, the last steam loco to come out of Swindon railway works.

kcr
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyz5d3entBw[/video]

bigyinn
    Free Member

elfin, they do still exist. Theres a restored set somewhere in that london and theres about 6 refurbished sets still scooting about here on the isle of wight.

BigJohn

The thing that bugs me about trains is just how under-utilised the track is. I live half a mile from the west coast line and half a mile from the M6. On a Monday or Friday rush hour, I cross the M6 and the number of passengers/hour passing the bridge is huge. Going over the railway bridge and the line (and Stafford station) is virtually deserted.

What’s more, train lines take people to where they want to be (town centres) unlike airports and motorways which terminate way outside.

Rip up the track, tarmac them and make them available to cars and freight which have automated speed, steering and distance sensors so they will automatically travel in convoy until you reach your destination. Although, how you wake the driver up when you get there is another matter.

nbt

The thing that bugs me about trains is just how under-utilised the track is.

train lines take people to where they want to be (town centres)

Rip up the track, tarmac them and make them available to cars and freight which have automated speed, steering and distance sensors so they will automatically travel in convoy until you reach your destination

Or use the trains more, since they already do just that ? 🙄

Anyway, I’d just like to re-iterate how fantastic it is that someone posted a pic of my fave loco, 37425 Concrete Bob. It’s ossum.

project
    Free Member

BigJohn – Member
    The thing that bugs me about trains is just how under-utilised the track is. I live half a mile from the west coast line and half a mile from the M6. On a Monday or Friday rush hour, I cross the M6 and the number of passengers/hour passing the bridge is huge. Going over the railway bridge and the line (and Stafford station) is virtually deserted.Rip up the track, tarmac them and make them available to cars and freight which have automated speed, steering and distance sensors so they will automatically travel in convoy until you reach your destination. Although, how you wake the driver up when you get there is another matter.

Posted 26 minutes ago # Report-Post

I think youll find thats the concept of a train, but with just one driver.

Elfinsafety, the Isle of White still use ex london transport tube stock painted up as dinosaurs for some reason.

bigyinn
    Free Member

No dinosaurs now project. All in LT red / grey now.

5lab
    sing1etrack

Best thread ever.

9F 2-10-0 Evening Star, the last steam loco to come out of Swindon railway works

I’ve had a soft spot for Evening Star ever since I saw it (her?) when I was about 7 or 8 – there’s a photo somewhere of me standing by the footplate looking scared!

I still love the sound of an Intercity 125 mind – particularly when you’ve just got off at Darlington and it reverberates around the station as it heads off north – I’m always disappointed when my train home from London turns out to be a 225!

jemima
    Free Member

That cold start video is awe… wait for it… some!

rkk01
    Free Member

Quite amazed by this thread.

There is undoubtedly an enduring fascination with trains and railways, yet the “trainspotter” tag is always trotted out. There is almost a reverse psychology here – the media stereotype as a defence mechanism for a wider public that share a level of interest?

derek_starship
    Free Member

Intercity 125? Blimey that’s going back a bit as is your reference to 225.
    I worked on the class 90 and 91 locos and DVTs back in 1988. They were
    Very advanced for the time. One of the first to utilise high power (600 amp) IGBTs.
    Hang on – I sound like a geek – soz.

brassneck

Gratz to Rusty for getting Blyth Power on this thread, first page too, well done sir!

I have a week of ICE and RE’s and S-Bahns and U-Bahns coming up.. you may think it’s a stereotype, but I know every morning in Koln Hauptbahnhoff, @ 07:57 exactly my ride will be there. It still makes me slightly giddy with joy, public transport that does just that.

derek_starship
    Free Member

While I was working at BREL in Crewe, they ran a deltic without it’s exhaust/silencer system. Krakatoa.

I also recall a Great Escape moment. I was working underneath a Class 91 loco, installing a new doppler unit when the loco began to move. I managed to roll out before being hit by underslung equipment. The shunter had locked on and was moving the loco to the 25kV test pen. I pooped myself – but it was my fault as I’d not flagged the vehicle.

Here’s a 91 in its original Intercity livery.

nbt

When did you work in Crewe, Derek? I was there 95-98, up in Rail House

Harry_the_Spider

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Wunun… no?

Bastid.

WUNUNDREDANWUN! 😀

Old-type ‘padded cell’ tube train:

Can you imagine? Not a place for the claustrophobic.

sobriety
    Free Member

Snow Plough at the calgary Heritage Park, it’s bloomin massive!

Clockwork667
    Free Member

This is 6 miles from where I work, why have I never been???

http://www.coloradorailroadmuseum.org/

Not much planned for this weekend… hmmmmm.

derek_starship
    Free Member

nbt – I didn’t work for BREL, I worked for GEC Alstom Traction who manufactured the propulsion and control systems for the Class 90s and 91s. I was at Crewe for 3 months working on sequence testing and commissioning. It was a great time – back in 1988 I think. I was a young spunker then!

molgrips
    Free Member

Isn’t the rail network operating at capacity?

sing1etrack

Intercity 125? Blimey that’s going back a bit as is your reference to 225

This may have been what they were called in the Hornby catalogue of that era! – I had the 125 set but never got a 225 🙁

derek_starship
    Free Member

Fill your boots sing1etrack

Harry_the_Spider

Full circle! It was the Hornby thread that got me thinking about trains!.. and the dodgy toilets thread that got me thinking about foreign ones.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Got to give a shout out for the Class 43. This bad boy revolutionised our rail transport system and gave us fast, comfortable and dare I say reliable service between the UK’s cities.

197 of these were built.

rkk01
    Free Member

Exeter St David’s???

Used to walk / ride / drive past that photo for years. Remember when the building in the picture burnt down!

redthunder
    Free Member

redthunder
    Free Member

When I worked at the Diesel Depot.

Harry_the_Spider

Duchess Class

br
    Free Member

For me its the sound of the Hull Pullman Deltic in Goole station at 07:19, top sound.

And been on a very early HST and the chap opposite stop-watching us at 130mph!

CountZero

Another GWR loco, the beautiful, iconic King George V

To see her hauling a passenger train at speed was the biggest thrill it was possible to have as a youngster. The bell on her fender was presented in 1927 when she was taken to the USA. The inscription reads:
    “Presented to
    Locomotive King George V
    by the
    Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company
    in commemoration of its
    centenary celebration
    Sept 24th – Oct 15th 1927”

I didn’t realise there was so much interest in trains on STW.
    That’s next week’s photo challenge sorted then. 😉

Does anyone remember this thread ?
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/forum-ride-severn-valley-industrial-history
    I’d still be up for leading this and calling in at every station on the SVR if anyone’s interested.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Shall I do a Special Train Station Edition of the new-type Tuesday Architectural Appreciation thread next week then? 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Does a little clap.

nbt

does a little wee

camera’s on charge, then 😉

jca

Elfin,

Hold off on that A&A thread…

the scaffolding has started coming down on Paddington’s fourth arch – the north side of the station is about to see daylight for the first time in 15-20 years. Wait a couple of months to see it at it’s best.

I bet the new refurbished arch leaks less than the rest of it…

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 161 total)

The topic ‘Trains’ is closed to new replies.