Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Trains in Chamonix Valley closed until 8 December, I hear
  • jhw
    Free Member

Apparently all trains in the Chamonix Valley between Chamonix and Vallorcine are suspended all summer, until 8 December. I am unclear as to whether there is a bus replacement service (there are of course regular buses up and down the Chamonix valley but these don’t allow bikes in my experience).

When this happened while I was there last October, there was a bus replacement service but they were incredibly arsey about letting bikes on. I had to insist every time, but eventually was allowed every time. I was always the only cyclist on the bus. In July, it’s very unlikely you’ll be the only one wanting to put a bike on, so I wouldn’t count on there being effective bus replacement. I think you’ll need a car, but I’m speculating.

I can’t find any details of this closure on the CMB or Chamonix tourist websites, although amusingly the latest news story on the latter is about the Council’s commitment to climate change reduction. I heard about this merely via the Facebook newsfeed of someone who’s there who would know! Thought I better post this here on that basis, as I know there have been threads discussing trips there. Something to look into.

There is still plenty of good riding between St Gervais and Chamonix, but still, this is very disappointing. It should never have been allowed – appalling really, not least because the trains were also shut more or less ALL October and November last year, I recall. Just what are they DOING? I wonder if this has something to do with the big storms there have been this spring.

I still think Chamonix probably has the world’s best backcountry-style singletrack riding, with only Verbier as a competitor, but the infrastructure just gets worse and worse each time I go there. Lift closures are irritating but I don’t mind cycling up and the best stuff is not covered by lifts in any event. But you do need that train!

Dan
    Free Member

The train line is being upgraded to allow more frequent trains, a spin-off from the failed Annecy winter Olympics bid. The replacement buses almost certainly won’t/don’t take bikes. Pedalling up and down the valley isn’t the end of the world.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Have emailed TWN for confirmation – he should know!

Grump
    Free Member

Yes, it’s true, the train is closed from Chamonix to Vallorcine for the summer. As it’s to upgrade the line and make it a better service both winter and summer, we shouldn’t complain too much.

The Bike buses should be starting soon, which take you and your bike up the valley to Le Tour or Col de Montets depending on which one you catch. The regular buses won’t take bikes alas.

The Bellevue and MB tram open on Saturday though, which will save a bit of effort….

Regarding the storms, a lot of the trails are still VERY hard going with large sections blocked by fallen mature trees. slowly the trails are being cleared, but attention is focussed on the more popular walking trails, so the better biking ones have a while to wait.

On a related note….I’m starting (i.e. no content on it yet, but give it a week…) a blog of Chamonix and surrounding area bike usefulness which will include what transport options there are, which trails are free of fallen trees and hopefully give folks some ideas for alternative trails and stuff to do when the bike ban comes in for July & August.

http://chamonixbikeblog.wordpress.com/

tracknicko
    Free Member

ahhh vallorcine.

savage awesomeness.

mattjg
    Free Member

ahhh chamonix.

I spent several summers (and winters) there and hiked, climbed and skied all over the place but always thought it was over-rated for biking, unless one wants to do cliff hucks and get-it-right-or-get-broken exposure.

Maybe it was just me!

tracknicko
    Free Member

havent ridden in chamonix proper as i rode up to a lift and it was about 4 million quid to go up it. went for an xc potter with the mrs instead.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Trains in Chamonix Valley closed until 8 December, I hear’ is closed to new replies.