Viewing 16 posts - 121 through 136 (of 136 total)
  • "Trains are a rich man's toy"
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I see, a public transport system for the rich[b] business traveller not paying his own fare[/b] at peak times

FTFY.

So at peak times going to London, the trains are rammed. And you want to reduce the price to make it appeal to even more people?

The reason that the fares are the way they are is because there is nothing like enough capacity in the network. Personally I’d like to see a massive programme of new railway building followed by a subsidised planned fare structure.

But who’s gonna vote for that?

flange
    Free Member

The rolling stock used by the line I’d use (god knows what its now called, used to be ‘One’) is ancient, cramped, smelly and just generally disgusting. I certainly wouldn’t mind paying a bit more if it meant clean trains with plenty of room. However, currently if you get on any train from Ipswich before 8am its standing room only for an hour and ten, which is frankly rubbish.

On the flip side a mate of mine uses Virgin and can’t praise them enough….

PJM1974
    Free Member

Personally I’d like to see a massive programme of new railway building followed by a subsidised planned fare structure.

But who’s gonna vote for that?

Me! Me!

I’d rather see the £4.6bn for HS2 spent on making my trains less crap and less expensive. I’d even forgive the lack of a seat and punctuality issues if they were cheap. My local MP doesn’t agree though. He wouldn’t, he’s rubbish.

uplink
    Free Member

I’d rather see the £4.6bn for HS2 spent on making my trains less crap and less expensive

HS2 will further cement the idea that the trains are not a aimed at anyone other than business customers, they seem to be hellbent on maintaining and increasing the exclusivity

donsimon
    Free Member

HS2 will further cement the idea that the trains are not a aimed at anyone other than business customers, they seem to be hellbent on maintaining and increasing the exclusivity

And if these business customers are turning in a profit, the problem is where?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d rather see the £4.6bn for HS2 spent on making my trains less crap and less expensive

What I am talking about would make £4.6bn look like peanuts. If only we had a comprehensive train network we could use that went to lots of small towns.. oh wait.. we used to have one of those…

PJM1974
    Free Member

What I am talking about would make £4.6bn look like peanuts. If only we had a comprehensive train network we could use that went to lots of small towns.. oh wait.. we used to have one of those…

If only we had politicians with sense and foresight who wanted the best for the travelling public, instead of trying to dump an expensive solution looking for a problem on us instead.

molgrips
    Free Member

If only we could get someone other than politicians to look after it. Maybe someone whose job didn’t depend on pulling the wool over people’s eyes for short periods of time.

julianwilson
    Free Member

If only we had politicians with sense and foresight who wanted the best for the travelling public, instead of trying to dump an expensive solution looking for a problem on us instead.

Rich friends and party donations from big business beats ‘best for public’ any day, regardless of whether you are blue or red flavour. 🙁 Witness health reform, unbelievable pressure from rich private enterprise to let them in on it. Whether or not it is a better use of public money is completely and utterly immaterial, the question is how to dress it up so that Tory voters swallow it.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’d rather politicians have responsibility for the rail network than a private company. The parent company of Southeastern Trains made over £50m in profit for 09/10 alone, which is cash that would go a long way to improving services.

At least you can vote a politician out of office every five years. We’re stuck with Southeastern, in spite of the fact that most people hate them.

rootes1

and does it really make sense to buy a Brompton for one meeting in London?

If you use Guildford station you can hire a Brompton by the day. They have a brompton vending machine on the station. Only a recent addition though..

also if you are a SWT season ticket holder you can lease one for as little as £2 a week.

Northwind

Flaperon – Member

You tell me why it shouldn’t just be charged per mile, like nearly every other European country? Why are the fares incredibly complicated? Why is it cheaper in many cases to buy a ticket for a longer journey and get off early?

And don’t just come back with “you’re doing it wrong.”

Well… You are doing it wrong! But I totally agree, the fares are too complicated, and it’s ridiculous that I can often buy a fare from London to Glasgow for less than a fare from London to Edinburgh, on a train that PASSES THROUGH EDINBURGH ON THE WAY TO ****ING GLASGOW.

There’s a lot that should be improved about our trains- it’s possible to hold an opinion somewhere inbetween the 2 extremes. But right now we have a flawed but usable system that could be a lot better or a lot worse.

El-bent
    Free Member

The problem is the profit. Going to shareholders. Public transport needs to be “unprivatised” and not for profit. Those business customers should be working to turn in a profit for their respective companies, aided and abetted by a relatively cheap transport system, because at the moment high rail fares can only damage the economy.

Klunk
    Free Member

if that is the case they should have no problem funding it without help from the tax payer.

PGreen
    Free Member

I work for a TOC (Train Operating Company). You’d be surprised at how commonly viewed “Money making TOCs” are actually doing all they can to try and provide a better service for you as the customer. The reality is that Government and Government owned organisations (mentioning no names but they own the track and much of the infrastucture) are applying negative force in what the TOCs try to do to try and stop that(perhaps due to careless/lack of thought rather than malicious intent.

flange
    Free Member

I don’t mind if the private companies make a profit, or if they charge a bit more for the service if the net result is a train service thats on time, comfortable and clean. As of now, trains are expensive, overcrowded and a horrid place to be. Where is the incentive to use them??

Viewing 16 posts - 121 through 136 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘"Trains are a rich man's toy"’ is closed to new replies.