Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Training/skills course? Recommendations please.
  • RustySpanner

It’s my 40th next week and Ms Spanner has suggested a place on an MTB training/skills course as a present!

Very excited and looking forward to it, but there are so many different options out there and I’m getting a bit confused.

Could anyone recommend a friendly course suitable for intermediate riders?

Have heard of the courses run by Ed Oxley, Nigel Page, Edinburgh Bike Co-Op and the ones at Coed Llandegla.

Anyone have any experience of these courses or can you recommend an alternative?

Live in Calderdale but have no problem with travelling.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The hub at Glentress? Mrs TJ is getting one of their courses for her birthday. I have heard nothing but good reports. Expensive but 6 pupils to two trainers

MrGreedy

Dales Mountain Biking (in Swaledale) have spaces on their intermediate course next weekend. They’ve been recommended on here plenty of times (as has their cake).

Full disclosure: I’m booked on the course with a friend but we’ve been told there aren’t enough bookings to run it – a couple of extra bods could save our weekend! (How’s about the offer of a birthday pint or two as incentive?)

stumpy01

I did the ‘core skills’ with some mates in January at Llandegla and it was great.
    Not rad, gnarly, extreme or going to make you into a hucking god, but excellent back to basic approach to riding trails. Body position, small drop-offs, bunny hops, cornering technique, berms and the beginnings of how to jump properly (but we ran out of time). They also do a more advanced course and I think that can also tailor it to your needs as well.

Bob, our trainer was fab and he took video of us to review at lunch and at the end of the day.
    Oooh and the food back at base was pretty good to.

RustySpanner

Thanks for the suggestions folks.
    Will have a look at the options and make a decision this week.

Was going to have a go at one of Ed Oxley’s sessions at Lee Quarry, but seems a bit of a shame staying so local when the session is a birthday present – makes it seem a bit more memorable if we travel and see a new part of the country.

Anyone have any more recommendations or suggestions?

lu
    Free Member

I can fully recommend Nigel Page.

He’s obviously very busy during the race season but he went out of his way to find a suitable day. Everything was completely tailored to my needs and I left feeling capable of trying anything!

Having a cross country background it was amazing just how differently DHrs approach the same obstacles.

Considering his background and experience I was amazed at how reasonable the cost was.

simonside
    Free Member

Chris Ball`s Dirtschool, very articulate and top bloke.

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

Our club has arranged some training sessions with the guys at All Biked Up. Whilst I haven’t been on one of their course, I know people who have and they’ve been impressed with the training they’ve received. I guess Surrey might be a bit too far for you to travel though!

doug_basqueMTB.com

I’ve done a couple of days with Chris Ball at dirtschool in the past and they were both fantastic. Did a 1 day lesson around glentress which was a private lesson for 6 mates. Also did a 1 day DH lesson at Innerleithen which was with 4 mates and 2 other guys. Both days were really fantastic.

sheldona
    Free Member

Ed O is a nice bloke, can’t comment on his course though.
    Forest Freeride in Machynlleth is where mrssheldona has just done a weekends course, she seemed to learn a lot and has come back ready to tackle stuff she wouldn’t before.

RustySpanner

Cheers for all the suggestions:

Mr Greedy, sorry, can’t make next weekend due to Ms Spanners’ work commitments, hope your course still goes ahead.
    Let us all know how you get on, quality of cake etc.

Will sit down this week, go through all the options and get something booked.

The Dales one is looking favourite, TBH:

Food

A mountain biking weekend is not complete without a variety of local café’s and pubs to have lunchtime snacks and evening meals at. Right here in Swaledale we have three of Yorkshire’s finest places to dine. Our very own cafe has the best coffee and cake available North of the M62 (probably!) We know where to get the best welcome, the best food and the best cake, truth be known our rides are planned around them.

At the end of each ride you’ll be treated to Brenda’s homemade cake, will it be apple & almond, chocolate brownie, banoffee pie or maybe carrot cake? Served with an abundance of tea and coffee while we chat over the day’s riding.

This just isn’t fair, I’ve not had my brekkie yet.

forge197
    Free Member

The Break Pad, Kirroughtree or Chasing Trails Dalby

Used both and got a lot from each.

chakaping
    Free Member

Second The Break Pad.

Four of us did a day with Mark at Ae last week, focusing on jumps and drops. My riding probably came on more in a couple of hours than in the last year.

He’s a very observant and subtle instructor. Very reasonably priced too.

GW
    Free Member

depends what you want to learn.

get this and read it from cover to cover first

mr_stru

The one thing I’d say about it is you should have a clear and specific idea of what you want out of the course. If you have that then I think you will get more out of it as most of these things seem to have a small enough instructor to pupil ratio that an element of tailoring the course to the attendees is possible. When your out riding between now and the course try and take note of the stuff your doing that makes you think ‘mmm, I’m sure I could be riding that better’ or the type of stuff your mates seem to find easier. If you can come up with a list of a few key things you’d like to do better that you can mention at the start of the course then I think you’ll feel happier about it.

I did one with dirt school recently and it was good. Definitely came out of it with more confidence. What I did notice was that the people on it who were a bit less capable than me perhaps got a bit more out of it terms of overall improvement but that’s fair enough.

lillyarn
    Free Member

Cyclewise at Whinlatter

doug_basqueMTB.com

That book is fantastic! I’ve read it so many times and have lent it out to loads of people who all say it’s great too.

GW
    Free Member

Doug, I’ve never actually read it – i’m more of a look at the pics type of reader 😳

doug_basqueMTB.com

Yeah, the pictures are fantastic! The writing is hilarious though, some of the advice is fantastic. I don’t have it with me so can’t quote but it’s worth a read for the one liners alone! The first bit of advice he gives on how to learn how to jump is “to be 5 years old”!

forge197
    Free Member

I will add the training I have done has always been one to one. It’s possible if you join a group in training that everyone will want to achieve something slightly different, although more expensive you do get focused tutition and that for me was important and I have got alot out of each session.

Mark at the Break Pad is an excellent tutor and is also pretty handy on the bike which is great because he can demonstrate fast and slow how to deal with trail features, as well as explaining why that is the best way to do it.

Same with Steve at Chasing Trails very subtle in delivery and handy on the bike too, great at explaining and running through the rights and wrongs of how to do it.

It’s amazing the difference a days focus can bring to day to day riding, you look at the trails in a whole new way.

recommend forest freeride too! Great guy and you can stay there too!

crazy-legs

Looks like a first mention for A Quick Release, they do Skills Days at Sherwood Pines and very good they are too.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah, the pictures are fantastic! The writing is hilarious though, some of the advice is fantastic.

Ditto. I always think of Brian when I’m “hauling the mail” down some gnarly singletrack.

dicky
    Free Member

Another vote for AQR at Sherwood Pines. Good value as well.

marsdenman
    Free Member

mmm, Dales MTB cake.

I profer the following as evience of goodness……

Dales MTB Lemon drizzle cake……..
    consumed following the STW meet that way last week…… 😆

edit – coffee was also b. good

dale
    Free Member

vote for Ed O reduced some of my fear and replaced it with grins.Local Rider so skills appropriate to most of my riding.The best thing you can spend money on, skills don’t wear out. oh happy upcoming birthday

RustySpanner

Cheers Dale – how’s the Prophet?

When I rode around Lee Quarry with behind you it didn’t seem like you needed much instruction!

Where did you do your course? In the quarry or out on the hills?

dale
    Free Member

the blue pig descent at Heptonstall mostly when with Ed realised how much fun there’s still to be had. Still falling off but now attempting stuff I would have just thought noooo way.prophet great, worn and bruised as it should be

daveb
    Free Member

I have had a couple of courses with Dirt School and think they are very good. Also have heard a lot of others saying they enjoyed the courses and get a lot out of them.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Training/skills course? Recommendations please.’ is closed to new replies.