Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Training/eating/hormones is this true?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

After long training periods the body releases a hormone tht makes you crave food as opposed to you just feeling hungry.

crikey
    Free Member

Not so sure about that, and even less sure what the actual biological difference between hungry and craving food might be.

Suspect it’s all a bit more complex in a biofeedback, blood sugar level, gycogen synthesis, insulin-ish type of way.

oldgit
    Free Member

Yeah that’s wot I thunk.

BadlyWiredDog

Are you training for two weeks time then? Or carbo-loading? Or something? Or are you just feeling peckish? I’m ravenous at the moment, but I’m not sure it’s owt to do with training stimulus…

Keva
    Free Member

I doubt that’s true. training = hungry ’cause more calories get burned off. I doubt it has anything to do with hormones. out of interest where did you read it ?

oldgit
    Free Member

Someone I race with mentioned it.
    BWD I am training actually, for the LVRC season. I got my butt well kicked by guys that were so old they should be dead last season. I’m also signed up for FNSS and Summit Series xc races. Lets face it BWD I’ve been doing the 24 solos for ten years now and I’ve never had a good one, so I’m going ‘short course’ instead. Problem is I need to lose a good stone or more, and Saturdays 6 x Caramel slice incident did’nt help.

BadlyWiredDog

Lets face it BWD I’ve been doing the 24 solos for ten years now and I’ve never had a good one, so I’m going ‘short course’ instead. Problem is I need to lose a good stone or more, and Saturdays 6 x Caramel slice incident did’nt help.

No worries, we’ll stop at the new-look Edale caff so you can refuel effectively if the hormones get too much for you 😉

ebygomm
    Free Member

I thought the latest thinking was that sustained aerobic exercise actually suppresses appetite and it’s partly related to body temperature too. That’s why swimming is actually quite a poor weight loss method, because the body temperature doesn’t raise and therefore appetite isn’t suppressed as much as other exercise.

zaskar
    Free Member

I haven’t read into it but it wouldn’t suprise me.

Think about Growth hormone, sugar levels being altered, oxygen deficit, lactic acid recycling -yeah they will have an affect on other feedback systems.

Looks across at my biochemistry books… look across at my workload…

I’ve studied the systems during exercise and resting after like anabolic/catabolic but never immediate like hunger.

Good question this posting!

Gluconeogenesis and Glycogen synthesis?

I mean you’ve used up ATP, glycogen energy stores, need to balance your electrolytes and hormones used for homeostasis, fatty acids, damage muscles & joints with their breakdown products could signal repair and hydration etc

Free radical generation needs mopping up.

Your body needs to repair and heal and restore energy reserves.

Love your liver and kidneys!

It’s easy to find and understand as you can breakdown each section but requires more room to type than a forum and some time.

Email me any links anyone finds too-could read when I’m bored.

Any sports biochemists on here?

crikey
    Free Member

I think this can best be summed up as;

Doing stuff makes you hungry.

Admittedly not Nobel Prize winning stuff, but good enough for STW.

keavo
    Free Member

i have read something to the effect of: lots of training (can’t quantify that for you though) increases the presence of cortisol, a stress hormone that may make you susceptible to gain weight. overtraining also creates a catabolic state whereby you will burn muscle tissue, reducing your base metabolic rate, causing fat (not necessarily weight) gain. i may not be 100% correct but thats how it came across to me.
    persoanally i find long road rides appear to cause a loss of muscle tissue, fat gain and weakness. oh and a huge appetite. short hilly mtb rides suit me better.

LabMonkey
    Free Member

The hormone in question is called ‘leptin’.

Jon

joe1983
    Free Member

ebygomm – finally an explanation as to why I feel so f*cking starving after swimming. Seriously this has puzzled me for years.

zaskar
    Free Member

Actually leptin was hoped to be the hormone to stop people getting fat-they proved that it does contibute in a small way (thats why I deleted by post about it) but not enough to 95% significant and it is regualted at night by other systems.

I guess nobody is posting as they are not paid to do so.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Training/eating/hormones is this true?’ is closed to new replies.