Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Training with or without heart rate monitor?
  • victoriamazie
    Free Member

I am starting to think about a training programme for the Etape. For anyone had experience in training for something like this, my question is; Do you think it is very beneficial to use a heart rate monitor (in order to train in ht rate zones)? All my previous training for other events I have used RPE which seems to have worked well. Generally I prefer to keep things simple and avoid too much paraphernalia.
    Any advice muchos appreciated…

mrblobby
    Free Member

If RPE works well, you have a good feel for it, and you prefer to keep things simple, then might be worth just sticking with that.

Having said that, HRM’s can be had pretty cheaply these days. I’d get one and just use it alongside RPE for a bit of extra data. See how the numbers tie up with RPE. Figure out what’s sustainable and what isn’t. HR can be quite variable for a given effort and depends on loads of stuff (e.g. fatigue, tiredness, how warm it is) so can be quite useful to spot things like overtraining (for example, for an RPE your HR may be much higher than usual, or you may find you can’t get your HR up to the level you usually work at.) HR can be handy with pacing, though it does lag behind effort by a fair few minutes. Once you’ve used one for a while you’ll then get a pretty good idea of how your numbers match up to various “zones” and how it reacts to various efforts.

Is training by HR any better than by RPE. I guess it depends on how good you are at judging RPE. Compared to training by power, I’m not convinced it’s much better than RPE, even though I did it for years before I got started using power meters.

victoriamazie
    Free Member

Really useful. Thanks.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Training with or without heart rate monitor?’ is closed to new replies.