Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Training using watt output… Please tell me about it.
  • tobyho
    Free Member

I have been using the bike at the gym for years but have only recently been looking at the watt thing on the screen.

Yesterday I did the Sufferfest Downward Spiral video and during the intervals was doing around 330 watts, on the recovery sections I was doing around 100 watts. The overall average watt output for the 57 minute session was 210 watts.

This morning I did a 30 min session keeping my cadence at 95+ (at medium resistance). After 30 mins my average watt output was 235 watts.

Is this any good ?

Does anyone else use watts ?

Are there any tips to training with watts ?

DaveGr
    Free Member

See Training Peaks for info on training with power meter. There’s also a book available if you want to read up on it.

Think you’ll need FTP, training zones and power to weight ratio to know if your figures are good.

ianpv
    Free Member

Gym bikes are normally pretty inaccurate, unfortunately (unless it is one them fancy wattbike things). As to whether 235W is good, that’ll depend a great deal on how much you weigh. Here are some estimated power/weight ratios for cyclists over different durations (FT is the power you could maintain for an hour, flat out).

There is loads of info online – training peaks is a good place to start though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hmmm I measured 425W at VO2 over 1m when I was fit, which is “untrained” ❓

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

4W/kg is supposed to be the point at which you cans start hawking your CV arround at pro teams.

Sprinters can knock out 1600W which is mental!

trickydisco
    Free Member

4W/kg is supposed to be the point at which you cans start hawking your CV arround at pro teams

surely rubbish!?..I had a fitness test last week and it came out at 3.2/kg he reckons with training i could get it to 4W/kg next year

ianpv
    Free Member

4W/kg at FT is a good club rider – a long way short of pro level power!The pros are a lot nearer 6W/kg…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I stand corrected 🙁 mines hovering arround 2 which is just disapointing whenever I look at it.

wheeliejim
    Free Member

The pros are a lot nearer 6W/kg…

.. but are they happy? 🙄

Wookster

isnt the magic TdeF watt figure 7.2 watts per kilo!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Training using watt output… Please tell me about it.’ is closed to new replies.