Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Training, off the back of the FOD enduro
  • shedbrewed
    Free Member

I’ll put my hands up and admit it, I had a great time in the FOD event on Sunday. At 32 it was my first cycle based competitive soiree and although I only did the 1 lap as a team relay I was still properly chuffed to come in at an hour and 8 minutes.
    My question is this really; there were obviously a lot of others there doing faster and further how can I get faster and further?
    I wasn’t completely shattered at the finish, but I had been absolutely pushing it where I could. I know that sections where the group bunched up and walking had to be done would have slowed me, but looking at the times of the guys who are doing 45minute laps, it wouldn’t have slowed me by 20mintues!
    So, anyone with advice, pipe up please?

Trimix
    Free Member

There were lots of short sharp uphills, perhaps doing some training that involved repeatedly riding short hills a couple of times a week would help.

Also look at your bike, is it as fast as it could be or are you wasting energy dragging round heavy kit / tyres / wheels etc.

Its cheaper to get fitter than lighten the bike though.

I wouldnt be too worried though, that was a good time. I took 1h 22 mins 🙁

ollieT
    Free Member

As Trimix said carry as little weight as possible and have a light agile bike. Dont race on a 30lbs 6 inch travel monster because you dont need it on an xc course.I finished 3rd in the 4 lap 3h 42mins. There are guys out there alot faster then me but i find the best way to train is just enjoy it and ride your bike alot as fast as you can.Plus race when you can. I find you never train as hard as when your racing. Good luck.

wwaswas

if you want to get really good get a road bike and go out and do intervals on a regular basis.

if you want to stay off road then you can still do intervals – I know of one guy who just does one minute as fast as he can and then one minute recovery for a whole off road ride and regardless of terrain.

intervals, really, to get fitter quicker. and throw in some longer rides too.

amt27
    Free Member

i helped to build the FoD Enduro track and raced the 4 laps, it is very technical and physically demanding (in and out the saddle all the time), lots of people suffered from cramp, imo due to using muscles they probably don’t normally use whilst riding,

technical ability saves you the most time on a course like that, as well as being able to blast up a relatively short climb, plus overtaking is a big factor,

i would add, the 4 lap guys had a clear run on the 1st lap, on the second lap the track had been churned up alot, so compare your time to 2nd lap of the 4 lappers,

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies peeps. I’m happy enough that the bike is light enough; 853 inbred, Recon race fork, alfine hub. Yes I could go and buy something lighter but I’m around 14 stone 6’2″ so not wanting to go too light and fragile.
    I pre-rode the course on the Saturday and made it up all but one of the climbs (the really boggy wet grassy one). On race day though sheer numbers of people meant I couldn’t keep momentum up so was off and pushing/running with the rest of them. I’m not very good on the technical sections, so will see about addressing that. I was passing people on descents purely by going for it, no real skill there.
    I will look into interval training; I currently cycle around 50 miles a week on road and hopefully will be doing CX too, to take on board your point Ollie T about racing helping.
    Oh and I thoroughly enjoyed it. No cramps but I did feel a stitch coming on in the early parts.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Training, off the back of the FOD enduro’ is closed to new replies.