Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Training Help
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’m trying to get back to fitness after 8 months off the bike due to illness.

I’m fairly time limited in what I can do because I work long hours and have a 2 year old who I mainly look after.

So for the last month or so I’ve been out running, starting at 3 miles now up to about 5.5miles. Probably two to three times a week.

I’m getting out on the bike as and when I can which is basically once at the weekend.

About 4 weeks ago I did a 25 mile ride, was hydrated and fed correctly ie porrided and bananaed up etc. I felt fine for about 12 miles and then started with cramp but managed to crawl the rest home.

2 weeks ago I went to Gisburn and from the off I had no energy what so ever and struggled all the way round.

On Sunday I did 24 miles. The first hour was hard and my legs had no energy, but I was ok. The second hour I felt great, the third hour I started getting cramp again.

I went for a run yesterday and my legs were almost fine, so I cant work out why I struggle so much just the day before. Its the same for the other rides I’ve done the day before or after Ive done a run and been fine.

Is it just because I’m pushing myself quite hard, or am I missing a trick?

Thanks

Gary_M
    Free Member

Is it just because I’m pushing myself quite hard, or am I missing a trick?

Are you pushing yourself hard? What sort of time are you doing 25 miles in.

Sounds like lack of bike fitness to me.

Alejandro
    Free Member

If you’re only riding once a week it sounds as though you’re just pushing yourself too hard/going to far. I can’t imagine your bike fitness is great, once a week isn’t enough to build fitness, in fact, I’m not sure it’s even sufficient to maintain a certain fitness level but I could be wrong. Ignore the parallels with running, they’re two completely different activities.

Kryton57

Can you replace the running with riding a bike, depending on which is more important?

thesoupdragon182
    Free Member

I know how you feel on this one I have been training for a marathon and the bike has been really niglected however what I would say is a 5.5mile run I would guess doesnt take you much more than and hour so to be going out and trying to go hard for three its no wonder that your body doesnt like it.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

In terms of running I last logged 5.6 miles in 51 minutes, off road with 500 ft of climbing.

Biking, 1st ride as quoted above 24.5 miles 2,600ft climbing 3hrs 5mins. 2nd long ride 25 miles 2,800 ft climbing 3hrs 20 mins

Biking is definately what I am training for. Running is much more time efficient though. 1 hour running will give me more fitness than 1 hour biking, although I do appreciate as said above that it may not be helping my biking fitness too much.

Would I be better substituting one or 2 of the runs for 1 hour on the bike, or a session on the turbo with Sufferfest etc?

Alejandro
    Free Member

If you’re training for cycling, do that. Running and cycling are completely different things.

Edit: if you own a turbo, there’s a book people recommend called ‘The Time Crunched Cyclist’ with workouts designed to get the most out of a short time on the bike. I’ve never used it myself but many seem to like it and sounds ideal in your situation.

tarquin
    Free Member

Biking on or off road?

jonba
    Free Member

Beat me too it but you don’t need a turbo to do the time crunched cyclist thing. Interesting reading give you some tips to get fit even if you are unable to follow it religously.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

All my biking so far has been off road.

I have a turbo and an old road bike though, although not keen on riding on road round my way its a tad busy.

I guess the next question, is 1 hour on the road bike on road, better than 1 hour on the turbo?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I guess the next question, is 1 hour on the road bike on road, better than 1 hour on the turbo?

No, but its most likely a lot more fun

cynic-al
    Free Member

Don’t forget factors like fatigue/lack of sleep, poor eating/hydration, boozing etc? All can give you a bad day on the bike.

And if you’re coming back from 8 months off, it’ll take a while to feel consistently good IMO/E.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Bit of an update…. and further advice sort 🙂

I’ve been increasing the biking over running, a mixture of Sufferfest on the Turbo and getting out on the mtb maybe twice a week and avergaing over 18 miles, once a week a 25-30 mile ride.

I did the Colne Valley Challenge on Sunday in 3hrs 30mins which to be honest I am relatively happy with given the amount of climbing involved.

However what I noticed was that I had to take the first 8 miles or so very steadily and was going back wards through the field. My legs were getting very tight and I knew if I pushed any more they would blow up.

After about 8 miles my legs eased off and I felt comfortable and could even push a little, I didnt even feel cramp coming on at any point which was a good sign for me. Before the race I did warm up and stretch etc.

So what can I do? Most of my riding has been attempting to be steady ish pace to build base fitness. Do I need to start mixing it up with some faster short rides? Or would interval type stuff be better still?

Ta

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

bump..

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Or would interval type stuff be better still?

Do intervals. If you can stick to it, the tabata protocol is impressive and do-able in minimal time, but you do need to do the interval sets 4times a week to follow the protocol.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Training Help’ is closed to new replies.