Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Training a traildog
  • pampassgrass
    Free Member

I’ve just started riding with my 1yr old Spaniel he loves coming out on the bike with me. I want to get him used to bikes more so was thinking about taking him to a trail center. Any recommendations to which one?

singlespeedstu

I hear Llandegla gets quite busy on a weekend.
    There’d be plenty of opportunity for him to get used to trailmincers there.
    One question though. Isn’t a year old a little late to be starting him as a trailhound?

Oxboy
    Free Member

Hi, its great fun riding with your dog, just make sure you pick any sh*t up it deposits on the trail!
    As for trail centers, I like taking my lab to Nant yr Arian, plenty of water for him to drink and cool off in, also it never seems that busy.
    Have fun!

Oxboy
    Free Member

One question though. Isn’t a year old a little late to be starting him as a trailhound?

Nah I wouldnt run them too much before that age as they are still growing, might damage their joints any younger.

Sandwich

I use a long lead which goes around my waist to get the hound to run alongside the bike and for any road sections. Has 2 clips on it and 3 D rings adjust the length, also useful for recall training. (Huxley hound was 3 when we got him so bad habits are being un-learned!) The lead looks like this, Pets at Home do them.

probably best to take him to cody or afan on Sat/sunday morning as this is when they are at there busiest and he will get used to bikes a lot quicker.
    i wouldnt bother with a lead and as long as he doesnt drop his dog eggs on the racing line i wouldnt worry too much about collecting them up

Ambrose

TBH I’d avoid a lot of crowds at first, get pooch used to riding with you and only you. Cycle paths etc are good for this, lots of other users but not many of them are there for a massive trail centre fix- so if dog starts to wander off, follow other people/ bikes it won’t be too difficult to sort. Remember that many people at trail centres are hell bent on a bit of speed- it takes a while for dogs to appreciate that.

Around here (South Wales) I will often ride with Willow at Cwm Rhaedr just north of Llandovery, also Brechfa in the evenings/ midweek as well as local rides in the Beacons. She totally ignores sheep, ponies and cattle nowadays, and only associates with other dogs if we stop or are riding together with other dogs/ owners.

And don’t forget to clean up.

andyl
    Free Member

definitely not. I wouldnt take a dog younger than that as their joints are not ready.

tbh even at 1 year I would still build up slowly – as you will have to do anyway.

Take the dog places that are going to be quiet and were there is low chance of him/her deviating off the path – ie a well fenced/hedged bridleway. Go well out of a peak times and start off with a long lead – we just used 2/3 leads clipped together. Start of gentle getting the dog to run along just in front of you and slowly build up and take them off the lead.

Few pointers:

make sure the dog has a very good recall

make sure the ground is suitable – no sharp gravel, tarmac etc. When on these surfaces slow down.

be prepared to have to stop to the side of the trail and call the dog back if there is other bikers coming. Don’t be afraid to warn them but say thanks for them slowing down. If they don’t call them pr*cks and throw a rock at them! I always reassure people to keep straight if they look like they are about to swerve as the dog is much more capable of avoiding a crash than they are and doesnt panic. You want to get to the situation were you don’t need to stop due to other riders. Your dogs confidence and your confidence in the dog will be apparent to other riders eventually. If anyone gives you stick then it is because they are low on confidence.

Your dog will probably try and push past whenever it can at first. Be aware of this and make sure you leave plenty of room either side and watch your pedals and cornering. Eventually the dog will learn to keep to your back wheel instead of barging past – it will learn this by you not slowing down to let it past.

If the dog is going off trail for a wander then you are not going fast enough!

The dog can think much faster than you and pick much better lines – they are often very good to follow but be careful as dogs fit between trees that mountain bikes cannot!

Take plenty of water and biscuits for the dog – Camelbak podium bottles are perfect for squirting into the dogs mouth but I prefer using a fold up silicone dog bowl so she can have a proper relaxing drink – not one squirted up her nose.

Take a hard container to put the poo bag in!

Build up distance slowly. Dogs will keep running until they collapse – especially spaniels.

Be sensible – don’t take the dog if it’s going to be really busy with lots of fast down hill riders. Accidents can happen so minimise the risk.

Get pet insurance.

singlespeedstu

Maybe if you wear body armour around the dog at home it’ll get used to seeing trailminces. Then it won’t be frightened to try and jump up at them to say hello when out on the trail.

PePPeR

As has been mentioned above, be really careful with a young spaniel, their joints and bones aren’t fully grown at that age and it can really cause problems!

My dog had to have both his front elbows pinned and screwed after smashing one up. It cost a fortune and he is never going to be fully right, although he will run and run with me all day now!

The main trouble as has also been mentioned is Spaniels have not got a sense switch! They will run and run and run, mine does not seem to feel pain at all and will keep going forever!

He’s got a limp on at the moment where he got caught in a door and he will not rest it to let it heal, he is now not allowed off the lead for the next 4 weeks as he won’t ease up and let it heal himself!

pampassgrass
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice guys! I won’t bother with a lead though as he’s well trained and runs only on the trail. He also tends to releive himself in the carpark so the trails should be clear of dog sausage. I may try him on Whites trail next Sat if the weathers nice.

jam-bo

You might catch more at the fish ponds…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Training a traildog’ is closed to new replies.