Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Trainerroad virtual power
  • whitestone
    Free Member

OK, signed up to TR and my ANT+ stick arrives on Monday! At the moment I don’t have a power meter but might get a Stages PM at some point. TR has a power profile for my turbo so I can use that for virtual power. This raises a couple of questions:

How accurate are the readings or should I be more concerned about consistency?

What resistance setting should I use on the turbo? Perhaps more accurately what settings were used for generating the power curve? I’m tempted to set the resistance to something that feels equivalent to the same speed out on the road.

All (positive) thoughts welcome.

Rubber_Buccaneer

In my uneducated opinion
    1.They are not accurate but are consistent so give a gauge of effort, improvement, etc.
    2.Set it to whatever Trainer Road says, don’t they cover all the settings?
    3.When you have chosen a setting you are going to use the gears to adjust effort. There aren’t any hills on the turbo. Don’t adjust the resistance setting.

bob_summers

As above, pretty consistent if you keep the resistance, tyre pressure and roller preload the same each time. Mine ‘sort of’ tallied with my stages, at least my FTP was similar on both, but wandered a bit as the room temp went up. That could be specific to my turbo though (a Tacx magnetic).

For me it worked fine. I find it hard to hold a certain wattage, even reading the 10s or 30s avg it fluctuates too much. I find it easier to ride to rpm. So if the workout calls for, say 300w, I find a gear that lets me hold 300w at about 90rpm and just watch the rpm instead.

Do an FTP test as soon as you can so TR can ‘scale’ your intensity to suit!

whitestone
    Free Member

Ta. Setting up VP on the app it asks you which of the levels you are using so the above makes sense.

Do an FTP test as soon as you can so TR can ‘scale’ your intensity to suit!

That’s what I’m not looking forward to! 😳

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Trainerroad virtual power’ is closed to new replies.