Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Trainerroad and iOS
  • r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Morning folks,

Apologies for posting this in July but the weather today is tempting me to brush the dust off the turbo…

I used to use trainerroad regularly over the winter but kind of gave up as I didnt like the hassle of having to have my iMac to hand. I’ve noticed that they’ve gone iOS compatible and before I spend £50 on the Ant+ adapter, does it work well?!

Interested to know if there are any glitches or similar that I should know about! I’ve got an iPad 3 and an iPhone 5c that I could use.

Thanking you!

Doh1Nut

Its fine – I use it on an ipad2
    Need to have a multi-pin not lightning connector
    My only complaint is that the real time graphical power indicator is small and tucked away to one side where it could easily be bigger and full width so you would be better able to hit targets.
    (there is a dot that represents the segment average compared to target)

I really should invest / make an ipad holder that connects to bike that is secure – I am going to drop it one day

N

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Sounds good, i’ll give it a whirl.

One more questions (for now anyway). On the iMac I had the ability to drag and drop videos into the workout. Sufferfest vids for example. I assume I cant do that on the app?

Doh1Nut

I have not tried it personally – I read that you could (but was not paying enough attention if that was PC only.)

I ought to buy a couple of the sufferfest videos as I enjoyed them on Strava Premium but you could not overlay live data on screen or record the ride properly, let alone have any interactivity with target power relating to video.
    So I cancelled Strava premium and got trainerroad.

Might get get a USB ant+ stick and golden cheetah if I get a working laptop for the garage. probably the cheapest in the long run.

trevorderuise
    Free Member

We don’t have video yet on iOS but it’s high on our to-do list 🙂

Here’s a good article to help you out with the ANT dongle setup for your device: http://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/201618914-ANT-Connectivity

-Trevor from TrainerRoad

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hi Trevor, is there anything out there that does a good job of bridging ANT+ to Bluetooth and would work with TrainerRoad on iOS? Thinking of something like the RFLKT+ with its bridge capability.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

While Trevor is possibly here, can you make sure the android version (presuming it’s coming) can make use of the inbuilt ANT+ receivers on phones? It’s a PITA that none seem to want to work, and I’m not shelling out for a set of Bluetooth sensors when everything else is currently quite happy talking to the gamrin.

Might get get a USB ant+ stick and golden cheetah if I get a working laptop for the garage. probably the cheapest in the long run.

Does goldencheetah have virtualpower yet? It always seemed to be on their to-do-list but never made it.

I really should invest / make an ipad holder that connects to bike that is secure – I am going to drop it one day

I’m thinking of getting some garmin 1/4 turn mounts 3D printed so that at least phones can be mounted on the same mounts (just epoxy the mount to the back of any old cheap case or a lifeproof/otterbox or a spare phone battery cover if it’s removable). Anyone interested?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Does goldencheetah have virtualpower yet? It always seemed to be on their to-do-list but never made it.

It does indeed (here). No idea how well it works.

I’m thinking of getting some garmin 1/4 turn mounts 3D printed so that at least phones can be mounted on the same mounts (just epoxy the mount to the back of any old cheap case or a lifeproof/otterbox or a spare phone battery cover if it’s removable). Anyone interested?

Someone must surely already do them?

trevorderuise
    Free Member

Hi Trevor, is there anything out there that does a good job of bridging ANT+ to Bluetooth and would work with TrainerRoad on iOS? Thinking of something like the RFLKT+ with its bridge capability.

We don’t yet support bridging, but that’s also on our to-do list. I would imagine the RFLKT will be one of the first devices supported when this feature comes.

While Trevor is possibly here, can you make sure the android version (presuming it’s coming) can make use of the inbuilt ANT+ receivers on phones? It’s a PITA that none seem to want to work, and I’m not shelling out for a set of Bluetooth sensors when everything else is currently quite happy talking to the gamrin.

I’ll definitely pass this along to the devs. To give you an idea of where things are at, we’re currently working full-force on updating our desktop app. The goal is to get desktop onto the new code base that iOS is built on which will allow us to implement some exciting new features across both platforms going into this fall. Being a pretty small dev shop still, we just don’t have the manpower to dive into development on another platform quite yet. Once we get through this list of to-do’s on our current platforms, we’ll reassess and decide what to build next.

That’s a great idea. Check out what we’ve been doing: http://blog.trainerroad.com/custom-phone-mount/

-Trevor from TrainerRoad

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That’s a great idea. Check out what we’ve been doing: http://blog.trainerroad.com/custom-phone-mount/

It was a photo of your mount at some tradeshow or other that got me thinking.

Someone must surely already do them?

I couldn’t find one, but Trevor/Trainerroad’s idea of using the adapter and filing the unused part off is probably better/cheaper (I’d not seen the instructions just a pic and found a CAD file for a garmin mount adapter), I doubt I could get it printed and posted for £3.50 (CRC), more like £10-£15.

mrchrispy

nothing of value to add to this thread apart from its nice to see Trevor answering the odd question. I’ll be joining up when I get back from hols as you guys look to be doing a great job, keep up the good work 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Trainerroad and iOS’ is closed to new replies.