Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Train tickets
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I've been thinking about a weekend in Englandshire recently & been checking train prices intermittently.

Previously the best price I could get was £111, it's come up tonight as £83.

WTF???

geoffj

The best advance purchase tickets are only available within a certain date from the journey time – yes its bonkers, but it is true. There are also variations depending on which site you use. I use the nat express one mainly.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Try http://www.megatrain.com/uk/

If you are flexible on travelling times and book in advance there are serious bargains to be had.

FWIW i went Brum to Edinburgh last year for £6 (although i think they have discontinued that route now). You go on a Virgin/similar train – not some special they lay on that takes 22 hours, etc.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers chaps – mega don't do the route 🙁

I use the nat express one mainly.

Shame their website's **** just now 🙁

cynic-al
    Free Member

ATGH it's now back up to £111 again 😡

crazy-legs

I just phone the train company direct – they can all book on each others services so if you need a connecting service run by another company they can still book the whole lot for you. Then it's just a matter of negotiating – sometimes they won't budge, other times (depending on who you're speaking to and if you have a complaint or compliment about a previous journey) they'll be flexible on prices.

domino

Where from and to Al? I got tickets from Leeds to Edinburgh for this weekend for £76 (peak travel Friday and Monday morning). I left it too late for the cheaper tickets, booked last week. I have been able to to get them for £40-odd in the past by booking weeks in advance, they get more expensive closer to the time of travel. Try looking for two single tickets rather than return, its often cheaper.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ta – Edinburgh – Oxford 2-5 October.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Cynic-al I got tickets Oxford to Aberdeen straight through, 9 hours no changes for £50. I used the north line and booked it on that website. Was good no problems at all.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Train tickets’ is closed to new replies.