Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Train-tacular!
  • SaxonRider

This video was shot in a New York State railway station yesterday.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R51jmndHEr4[/video]

I love how the woman completely absorbed in her phone gets the brunt of it. 😀

mattyfez

Bosh! Haha!

Meanwhile in UK, train cancelled due to leaf on track.

matt_outandabout

😆

big_scot_nanny

I had a similar experience on North Anderson Drive in Aberdeen back in the 90s when I used to smoke. I was in the car on one side of the dual carriageway with the window open enjoying a shmake, when a truck coming the other way wallooped into a snow drift. The driver must have been pissing himself seeing me frantically try to wind the window up in time – surprising how much wet snow can fit through a 15mm gap in a window when forced at high speed 🙂

For the folks on that station platform… OUCH! one imagines there should have been some kind of announcement?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

cancelled due to leaf on track.

Be fair. It was the wrong kind of leaf, after all.

aP
    Free Member

Depends if you like being on a train that can’t stop or accelerate, then has massively out of balance wheelsets causing vibrations and reduced safety?
    The way to stop this is easy, just cut down all the trees and foliage within 10m of the tracks.
    It’s quite odd seeing foreign railways where the platforms aren’t at 915 above rail level, it initially looks like a metre of snow, buts its actually only about 300mm.

xora

For the folks on that station platform… OUCH! one imagines there should have been some kind of announcement?

Well you see the ones in the know moving when they hear the train. Only the people trying to film really got hit!

SaxonRider

Only the people trying to film really got hit!

And the dopey one lost in the cyberworld of her phone.

bigyinn
    Free Member

aP – Member

Depends if you like being on a train that can’t stop or accelerate, then has massively out of balance wheelsets causing vibrations and reduced safety?
    The way to stop this is easy, just cut down all the trees and foliage within 10m of the tracks.
    It’s quite odd seeing foreign railways where the platforms aren’t at 915 above rail level, it initially looks like a metre of snow, buts its actually only about 300mm.
    Actually the leaves on the line problem is more to do with the design of modern trains. Where the majority of modern trains are disc braked, this means that the wheel treads aren’t cleaned by the brake pads, whereas older trains used the cast iron block acting on the wheel surface.
    This has the action of effectively cleaning any crap picked up on the wheel surface and thus improving adhesion between the wheel and railhead.

leffeboy

And the dopey one lost in the cyberworld of her phone.

was she not actually the person videoing the second clip that we see?

darkcove

Actually the leaves on the line problem is more to do with the design of modern trains. Where the majority of modern trains are disc braked, this means that the wheel treads aren’t cleaned by the brake pads, whereas older trains used the cast iron block acting on the wheel surface.
    This has the action of effectively cleaning any crap picked up on the wheel surface and thus improving adhesion between the wheel and railhead.

Having slid 14x and 15x units the length and breadth of the North of England I would say that’s sound in theory but in the real world it doesn’t make a blind bit of notice.

Over here we can run normally (with a few caveats thrown in) with up to 8″ of snow above the railhead, but to be honest when do we get that amount of snow in the most of the UK?

I envy that Driver, oh to be able to do that to a platform full of right wing, Telegraph reading, watch tapping, union bashing, self important me me me me me types….

aracer
    Free Member

No, the second clip is from behind the person filming the first clip (they’re the person you can see closest to the camera), though it does look like she’s also filming.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Train-tacular!’ is closed to new replies.